ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting ITB Extra: Michigan's Push For Arizona Commit; More DB Intel

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** Michigan is about ramp up its pursuit of Arizona defensive back commit Zeke Berry. U-M safeties coach Ron Bellamy has been in frequent contact with him over the last few weeks and is set to have another call with him this week. Berry is a top target on the safeties board, and the Wolverines are treating him as such. Michigan is working on locking him in for an official visit. Expect that to happen soon. Berry picked Arizona in July but has continued to be open with his recruitment. Berry visited Cal earlier this month and was just at Oregon over the weekend. I'm told Michigan has a legitimate shot here, and that its biggest competition may be Oregon, which feels pretty good about flipping him. While Berry is on the safeties board, he's a guy that can play everywhere in the secondary.

*** What's going on with Damani Dent? The three-star safety out of Jacksonville (Fla.) Terry Parker named Michigan his leader following his official visit for the game against Washington and was set to make a commitment on Oct. 10. However, Dent has postponed that. I never put in FutureCast pick for Dent because I was worried that SEC schools would get involved, and I'm told that's the reason he's holding off. Dent just visited Georgia and is eyeing trips to Florida and Tennessee. It's worth noting that none of these schools have offered, but again, there is interest there. Another school starting to show a bit of interest is Texas, but there isn't too much there at this time. Oregon is working on bringing him in for another visit — he was there this summer — and is still squarely in the mix. I'm told Oregon would only take one of Dent and Berry, which makes things interesting for Michigan since both guys are also on the Wolverines' board.

*** At this point, I would say Berry and Dent are the two most likely guys on the safeties board. However, Michigan is continuing to surge with Rivals100 Baton Rouge (La.) University Lab prospect Austin Ausberry, who was on campus for the game against Washington. Ausberry is mapping out a return trip to Michigan — potentially for the Ohio State game. What's interesting here is that LSU is trending away from Ausberry, which means the door is wide open. He still has some SEC options as Auburn and Florida (just had him on campus) are pushing and Alabama is keeping him warm. However, Ausberry likes the idea of going away from home and remains high on both Michigan and Notre Dame. Bellamy, a fellow Louisiana native, is doing an excellent job of recruiting Ausberry.

*** As I mentioned earlier this week, Michigan is working on Washington commit TJ Hall. He's a guy the Wolverines want to get on campus. Again, he's listed as a wide receiver, but the Wolverines like him as a defensive back. New Director of Player Personnel Courtney Morgan recruited him at Fresno State. Four-star West Bloomfield (Mich.) High defensive back Dillon Tatum is set to make his decision tomorrow. I still expect it to be Michigan State. Michigan is very happy with four-star pledge Kody Jones, who is having an outstanding senior season. Tatum was basically being recruited for the same spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News