ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting ITB Extra: Major Scoop On 2021 Michigan Corner Recruiting

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** I wrote in yesterday's confidence board that I felt really good about Michigan potentially flipping three-star Lehigh (Fla.) Acres cornerback Omarion Cooper from Florida State. After doing some checking around last night, I feel even better about that. Michigan cornerbacks coach Michael Zordich has been in constant contact with Cooper, and I have reason to believe Michigan may the aggressor in this race as opposed to FSU. Cooper is also good friends with Michigan commit Branden Jennings, who is involved here as well. Cooper was set to be an early enrollee, but his plans have changed, and he will now sign in February. There is plenty of time for Michigan to get him onboard.

*** Michigan has surged in the recruitment of Rivals250 Los Angeles (Calif.) Loyola cornerback Ceyair Wright over the last couple of months. However, I think things are cooling a bit here. Wright made another visit to Notre Dame over the weekend and stayed in South Bend for multiple days. From what I was able to gather, there is a feeling that Notre Dame now holds the edge in this recruitment. I've gone ahead and put in a FutureCast pick for the Irish. USC may still be able to keep him close to home as his Jan. 2 decision date approaches, but I think it's pretty clear Michigan is running third. There is a lot of work to do here over the next several weeks.

*** Michigan only has one cornerback commit in this class, and that's three-star Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas cornerback Ja'Den McBurrows. As I wrote a couple of days ago, Miami is making a bigger push for McBurrows and is doing everything it can to win him over late. The big sell is staying closer to home. McBurrows is not an early enrollee, but he does plan on signing early. McBurrows has been super solid since committing and was in town for the big visit weekend. While Miami is local, McBurrows feels comfortable with Michigan. I'm a little concerned but not too worried. Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh was set to get on a call with McBurrows yesterday, but the latter was on his way to practice. I expect that call to happen very soon. It's worth noting that McBurrows told me he plans to sign with Michigan next week.

*** Lastly, Michigan recently extended an offer to three-star Albany (Ga.) Westover cornerback Cameron Bergeron, who is committed to Duke. I don't believe there will be any movement there unless Bergeron elects not to sign with Duke next week. He is not an early enrollee, but he has stated that he plans to sign during the early window. I know there have been a lot of questions about three-star West Bloomfield (Mich.) High corner Maxwell Hairston. I'm told there is still nothing there. I'm expecting him to sign with Kentucky next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News