ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Intel: A new Harbaugh contract nearing the finish line?

Josh Henschke

Publisher
Staff
Oct 26, 2021
Today has seemed like a major moving point in terms of the narrative of getting the Jim Harbaugh contract over the finish line.

First of all, the narrative that Warde Manuel hasn't been working on a deal and that Santa Ono had to step in and take over negotiations is bunk. It takes two people to negotiate something and that's what this has been this entire time, a negotiation. I'm not here to pick sides but the picture painted of Manuel sitting idly on his hands is silly.

Yes, Ono has made it abundantly clear that he wants to get a deal done to keep Harbaugh in Ann Arbor but at no point has he undercut Manuel and taken away his negotiating power. It's a team effort to get the deal done.

From my understanding, this deal could very well get done mid-season but I haven't heard anything to suggest that it's going to happen for sure, just that there is hope that it will be done.

To reference, John U. Bacon's tweet today:

This is what I've heard, too. The only thing that gives me pause is that Harbaugh historically doesn't talk contact in the middle of the season. However, having an agent helps with matters.

There is a bye week coming up in two weeks, but I have nothing to suggest that is the finish line.

As for the negotiations themselves, I think there's a pretty strong framework for the deal itself established: Top three salary in CFB, a buyout number that both sides are happy with, an increased assistant salary pool, etc. Again, hesitant to say it's completely done and sealed but confidence is VERY high right now on both sides.

I can't confirm any numbers but one that was thrown out to me is interesting.

A five-year, 60 million dollar extension.

Again, I am not reporting this as fact, just something I have picked up and would be significant if it turns out to be true.

Once this deal is signed, I am talking in formalities now because many more people are coming out of the woodwork with confidence, this should keep Harbaugh in Ann Arbor for the rest of his career.

Will continue to dig and hope to get more in the coming days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News