ADVERTISEMENT

Insider INSIDE THE FORT: FEBRUARY 5

ChrisBalas

Austin Powers, Goldmember
Jul 6, 2001
Dexter, MI
www.thewolverine.com
The latest edition of INSIDE THE FORT, including plenty of football recruiting and hoops information.

Starting with football recruiting …

Michigan’s efforts on the recruiting trail have ramped up considerably in the last several weeks, and it’s paying huge dividends. It’s about to pay more (our EJ Holland will have more on that this weekend and in Monday’s Into The Blue segment).

It’s been made clear that the new U-M coaching additions need to be relentless on the recruiting trail, and they’ve gotten the memo. New defensive backs coach Maurice Linguist has been at it non-stop since he’s been hired — he’s not only been a grand slam, but a bottom of the ninth, down by three in the seventh game of the World Series grand slam.

Keep an eye on recruiting over the next several weeks, especially in his areas. This guys is a special recruiter.

Defensive line coach Shaun Nua has been picking it up, as well. He’s taken some heat, but without going into detail, he’s had a lot on his plate in the last several months. Head coach Jim Harbaugh isn’t the only one who believes he still has a chance to get his position to thrive, and he played a part in the nice DT Signing Day haul.

Mike Hart is Mike Hart — it means something to U-M's new running backs coach, and he’s off to a great start — and as we’ve said many times (and heard again from others), “Ron Bellamy will be a great recruiter, especially in the Detroit area.”

Now Michigan’s wide receivers coach is proving it. Helping land Rivals100 defensive tackle Rayshaun Benny, a former Michigan State commit, is the first example of what is expected to be many more big signings to come.

While he was born and raised in Louisiana, Bellamy has lived in the Detroit ever since being on the Lions’ practice squad, and it’s safe to say he has plenty of connections around the city’s football community, considering he was West Bloomfield’s head coach for 11 seasons and is the son-in-law of former Lions star running back Dexter Bussey. That will help with many recruits around the area.

“That’s the thing — Ron is a great mentor, and he always goes out of his way for students, not just at West Bloomfield,” Keith Cameron, West Bloomfield’s defensive backs coach, told us. “He’s just a really good guy. I’m sure he’s going to do really well as a recruiter, especially here in the state of Michigan.

“You can really tell who a person is when kids talk about him when he’s not around, and the kids think highly of him. Even after games, when we play other teams, you see kids just knowing him, shaking his hand and thanking him.”

One top target who Bellamy already knows well — which is an understatement — is his former player, Rivals250 athlete Dillon Tatum. The Wolverines originally recruited Tatum on the offensive side of the ball, but are now looking at him at safety or nickel — he can do it all. While former cornerbacks coach Michael Zordich was his primary recruiter, it’s safe to assume Bellamy (with help from others such as co-defensive coordinator Maurice Linguist and safeties coach George Helow) will take it from here.

Bellamy has never pushed any of his three former players who ended up choosing Michigan (Makari Paige, Cornell Wheeler and Donovan Edwards), but now he’s in a position where he will do that with Tatum — as long as the Wolverines push — with whom he has a “very close relationship with,” according to Cameron.

“I think he looks more at who’s there, as far as his teammates, and what they can do together — the same thing that they did at West Bloomfield,” Cameron said. “And I think that’ll be one of the biggest selling points. He knows the type of talent that he’s been playing with, and he wants to win. That will put Michigan in his top group.

“I know [Michigan is] going to have a good shot, especially with Coach Bell being there as well. I think they have a really good chance, but as soon as you think something’s sure, just like the kid from Oak Park who just flipped … But I just think with the players that Michigan has from West Bloomfield already, that that’s going to be one of the selling points when he makes his decision come next year.”

We actually caught up with Bellamy after the regional finals a few weeks back and we discussed Tatum as a player, with his comments in which he raved about Tatum being even more intriguing now that he’s on staff.

“Dillon is a difference-maker,” Bellamy said in early January. “He doesn’t get as many touches on offense when Donovan is the hot guy. But Dillon is a special talent. He’s talented in his own right. He’s an explosive athlete, and we’re just fortunate to have that type of athlete.

“Dillon’s still developing, and right now he’s one of the top defensive backs in the country. You can see that in the way he prepares. His football intellect, for him to be able to play two sides of the football, it speaks volumes. Dillon’s able to do that. And he’s a returner, he helps you in special teams, too, so he’s a complete football player. The goal is to continue to develop.”

Tatum told our EJ Holland the week before Bellamy was named to Michigan’s staff that Michigan State was the school most aggressively pursuing him. We have a feeling that’s already changed now that the Wolverines’ new staff is in place.

More recruiting …

We spoke with several of Michigan’s signees this week to get their thoughts on not only the staff moves Jim Harbaugh made this offseason, but also the recruiting pitch the U-M head man is giving the newcomers following the disastrous 2020 season on the field.

One signee, in particular, will undoubtedly be playing a different position in college than the one he was recruited for as a result of the staff shakeups — Suffield (Conn.) Academy four-star defensive end KeChaun Bennett. He told us former defensive coordinator Don Brown was the primary staffer he spoke with at U-M throughout the process, and that the original plan for him was to play Brown’s signature hybrid linebacker/safety viper spot. Bennett said the U-M coaches didn’t really address this past season’s struggles on the field with him, though he was a bit more candid with us when we asked him about it.

“I watched a couple of their games last year and it seemed like their players on defense were afraid to hit and scared to make contact on tackles,” Bennett said. “It was kind of like they were lazy at times.”

Bolingbrook (Ill.) High three-star linebacker Tyler McLaurin was a bit more upbeat about the whole situation, saying the 2020 debacle was “just a phase they went through” and he’s not concerned about it “when considering the circumstances [referring to coronavirus].”

Clayton (Ohio) Northmont three-star safety Rod Moore was upbeat about the staff changes as well, and actually said he sees them as a golden opportunity for him.

“I never thought about looking anywhere else when they shook up the staff,” Moore said. “The new coaches are coming in trying to get to know everyone, just like I’m trying to get to know them. I’m going to prove myself to them to show them I can play. These changes could actually be an opportunity for me get some early playing time. [Coach Brown leaving] didn’t have an impact on me because I didn’t talk to him as much as I talked to [former safeties] Coach [Aashon] Larkins and [former safeties] Coach [Bob] Shoop. I only talked to Coach Brown three or four times. Coach Shoop leaving was out of the blue for me though — he didn’t even tell me.”

Harbaugh hired Maryland inside linebackers/special teams coach George Helow as U-M’s new safeties coach, and the new position coach made a good early impression on Moore.

“I texted him at first and he thanked me for reaching out,” the safety recalled. “He also called me on the phone to introduce himself and we talked for a bit, telling each other where we’re from. He seems like a great guy and is ready to get to work.”

Another staff move that sent some shockwaves on the recruiting trail was the departure of Ed Warinner as offensive line coach. We asked longtime recruiting guru Tom Lemming — whose been covering recruiting on the national scene for over 40 years — this week which U-M assistant coach gets mentioned the most when he talks to prospects in person, and his answer was, sure enough, Warinner.

Sterling Heights (Mich.) Stevenson head coach Justin Newcomb (who coached four-star offensive tackle signee Giovanni El-Hadi) admitted Warinner’s departure made El-Hadi “pause for a moment” in regards to what he wanted to do, though the pair was reassured significantly by new offensive line coach/co-offensive coordinator Sherrone Moore.

“I have no doubt Coach Moore is going to put Giovanni in the right spot,” Newcomb said. “He’ll fit in nicely on their offensive line. The game is evolving nowadays and freshmen come in early now and contribute right off the bat, so I wouldn’t put anything past Giovanni — he does whatever he sets his mind to. He’ll be good though with whatever Coach Moore and Coach Harbaugh decide is best for him.”

Newcomb also revealed El-Hadi may have a leg up on early playing time over U-M’s other incoming offensive linemen, thanks to a unique physical quality he possesses.

“What’s cool about Giovanni is that he can put on weight or take it off incredibly fast,” Newcomb said. “He got up to about 325 pounds during the heart of Covid when we stopped, and then got right back down to 295 in what felt like the blink of an eye.”

On incoming quarterback J.J. McCarthy — we expect him to be Michigan’s starter sooner than later. From a MAC coach who has coached quarterbacks all his life:

“He is one of the two best quarterbacks in the country. He’s that good.”

Trust us … this guy would know.

Another source said Harbaugh “has a gleam in his eye” every time he talks about McCarthy, and that he can’t wait to work with him. Nothing against the quarterbacks currently on the roster, of course, but McCarthy’s ability and leadership POTENTIAL are off the charts.

He’s not the only one like that in his class. Louis Hansen, Donovan Edwards … these guys are a tight-knit group, talk all the time and they all have the “refuse to lose” mentality that makes them potential difference-makers.

There are more of those on the way, too. Stay tuned.

Finally, on basketball and recruiting …

As we reported in yesterday’s chat, the team returned to workouts in small groups to start conditioning, etc. The Illinois game has already been postponed, but we’d bet on the Feb. 14 game at Wisconsin being played.

The Wolverines will make up some games, but not all down the stretch, but we strongly believe both Michigan State games will be played. The others will depend on just how much they can do in 22 days. Remember, they’ve only played nine.

On the recruiting trail, class of 2022 point guard Dug McDaniel, a 5-11 four-star and Rivals.com’s No. 67 junior nationally, could be the first to drop, and sooner than later. Five-star Jaden Bradley seems headed to Kentucky, though his father continues to say no announcement is imminent, and McDaniel is extremely tight with head coach Juwan Howard and staff.

There’s been talk that four-star 2021 center Charles Bediako is down to Michigan and Texas after most had him pegged for Alabama, and we can confirm that the Crimson Tide no longer feel confident here.

Michigan freshman center Hunter Dickinson isn’t going anywhere, though — we (very) strongly expect him to return for his sophomore year — so that gives the Longhorns the edge here, with Ohio State also still in the mix. He wants to start right away.

Bediako, now at Bradention IMG Academy, talked about all three recently:

“Coach [Shaka] Smart, the system he runs is good for me,” he said of Texas. “He’s really done a good job with bigs that are similar to me with the way they play. He’s done a good job getting those versatile guys like me into the NBA. That’s good. Also, the coaching staff is full of great people. They have a great style and play above the rim. Also, they have a great strength and conditioning program with Coach [Andrea] Hudy.”

“Ohio State, they play systematically with their bigs and I like the way they do it. They let the bigs shoot 3s and all that. I mean, that’s not everything to me because I feel like I can do a little bit of everything but I like that they give their bigs freedom. They have a great coaching staff full of great people, too.

“I like Michigan. I see Jett [Howard] around campus and we talk but he’s not like recruiting me. He’s a chill guy. I do talk to Jett’s brother, Jace, though. He tried to recruit me. We talk some. He’s cool.

“I actually talked to [Michigan commit] Caleb [Houstan] one time about it. Right after he committed, we talked and he was trying to get me to commit but that’s about it. Coach Howard is a cool dude and we have a great relationship.”
Finally, there had been buzz about Chet Holmgren, Rivals.com’s No. 1 player nationally in 2021, several weeks ago, but we said at the time it wasn’t warranted. Holmgren is likely to play college ball rather than going to the G-League, but it’s still very likely going to be at Gonzaga.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News