ADVERTISEMENT

Inappropriate or Acceptable?

Buxs4life

Letterman
Dec 29, 2014
Michigan hires the mother of a just pledged football player. Does this raise eyebrows or was she vetted properly and found to be the best candidate for the position?

Bit early to start trolling, no ?

Didn't realize Lyons " just pledged ". Has he ?

TUSO fan - It's inappropriate. ( If Meyer did it then it's ok ).
UM fan - Completely acceptable.

Exactly how is that trolling by asking a question that neither slurs nor uses derogatory terms? I like discussing college football and OSU-Michigan in particular. I try to respond honestly and provide an opinion with some factual background about issues regarding OSU or Michigan. Reread the question and tell me how (in your opinion) that is "trolling?"

Is it against NCAA rules? No. Is it a school violation? Evidently not, since she's been hired. So, yes, completely acceptable.
We're not cheating and that probably irks you TUOS fans (mainly the trolls).

He answered your question, troll. What more do you want? You should come to expect the term "troll" when trolling other team forums.
I don't mind the question personally, but don't expect UofM fans to take sides with a nut.

Well, if its acceptable and not against NCAA rules, why is there such a fuss over an assistant coach leaving the day after NLOI day? Does it smack of misleading a recruit that a position coach will be there for 4 years? Yes. But, in that same vein, doesn't it appear dubious that a recruit's mother finds herself being suddenly employed by the University that is recruiting her son?

If UM was offering parents jobs to get their son's commitment?

Why wouldn't they go after an incoming 5-star freshman rather than an average CB with 1 year of eligibility left? UM doesn't seem to be getting much bang for their buck here. We're being told that this kid's mom will really help out with recruiting in Florida.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Agree, they aren't getting much bang for their buck. It could be just a coincidence and nothing more. But, what about hiring the Paramus coach who happens to have the #1 DT in the nation on his HS team? Is that based off of his coaching ability or that he can steer the player to Michigan? My point here is that there are so many things that can be picked apart in major college football programs, some minor, some major. Many, many programs, including Michigan and OSU, have reason to be questioned.

It's a great hire because she is incredibly connected with south floridas 7on7 league.

I think the hire of the Paramus coach was to help recruiting along the east coast....

and NJ, in particular. UM is doing everything it can to put a winning team on the field. We're sick of the last 7 years.

I wouldn't exactly call him a recruit anymore. More like, transfer. I'll indulge you though.

Which would you personally have more issue with?

1.) A coach hiring a players mom, who is transferring to your university. Now, the player gets the opportunity to play an extra year and increase his chance at the NFL under a great instructor. Also, the hiring of his mom, will bring the two together. No more distance between them(correct me if I'm wrong on the distance thing). Hiring her will also bring in good connections to south Florida, which will help with recruiting. She gets a great job, and gets to go watch her son play ball.

2.) Say you are a recruit, (say your Mike Weber). You decommit from UofM, which is fine. You need to make sure of your own future, since your original recruiter isn't there anymore. You commit to OSU, rather quickly to, didn't take long. You want to be on a winning team. Come NSD you're having doubts about committing to OSU, you want to be faithful to UM but you want to show how you can stick with a commitment to someone who says they are committed to you. So you sign. (Don't try and say Higdon signing was part of your reason for staying with OSU, JH wasn't going to wait on you forever). Now, the next day, the guy who recruited you, who committed to you, up and leaves. (Good for him btw, always better jobs to be had). Anyways, he leaves. Leaving you, with some doubt in your head now. You'll most likely stay at OSU though, even though you're HC and RBC did whatever they could to get you to sign that LOL before the RBC left.

Now, be honest.

Blue, I can answer honestly that at first glance, when Drayton left, it didn't make OSU look good. I think we all know that Weber was not told of the coaching change for fear he would not sign with OSU. But, the more I thought about it, you sign to be a part of a football program, not to be with an assistant coach. Drayton was the lead recruiter for Weber, but Weber also was recruited heavily by Coombs as well. This will be a non issue In a few weeks as Weber gets to meet his new running backs coach and develops a relationship with him.
As far as the hiring of a parent, rather than say his HS football coach, that is what jumped out to me the most. I agree that they will be closer to each other and as a parent, I have no problem with that, But to suddenly be employed by the University (and I may be wrong, but wasn't she hired within the football program?) seems to be crossing an ethical line that most of us wouldn't want to see. I can live with a HS football coach being brought on board, but a parent? Hopefully this is an exception, rather than the rule.

Originally posted by Buxs4life:

Blue, I can answer honestly that at first glance, when Drayton left, it didn't make OSU look good. I think we all know that Weber was not told of the coaching change for fear he would not sign with OSU. But, the more I thought about it, you sign to be a part of a football program, not to be with an assistant coach. Drayton was the lead recruiter for Weber, but Weber also was recruited heavily by Coombs as well. This will be a non issue In a few weeks as Weber gets to meet his new running backs coach and develops a relationship with him.
As far as the hiring of a parent, rather than say his HS football coach, that is what jumped out to me the most. I agree that they will be closer to each other and as a parent, I have no problem with that, But to suddenly be employed by the University (and I may be wrong, but wasn't she hired within the football program?) seems to be crossing an ethical line that most of us wouldn't want to see. I can live with a HS football coach being brought on board, but a parent? Hopefully this is an exception, rather than the rule.
Do you feel the same about Wheatley being hired. :)

The constant battle of "My favorite team is more ethical than yours..." is stupid. You are either naive of have never been a part of a large competitive organization.

Not saying intentionally crossing the line and breaking rules is ok. But that those who are responsible and accountable for the success of their organization, will walk up to the line as close as possible. Sometimes a nose or toe goes over.

She may prove to be an outstanding employee, just as prospective job candidates who happen to be the children or nieces / nephews of senior executives may be outstanding, as well. Wisely, however, most organizations prohibit nepotism hires, if only to avoid even the appearance of impropriety or favoritism. Whether within the rules or not, Michigan looks slimy for hiring the kid's mother, and it obviously looks like a quid pro quo.

Hmm. Didn't need to hire anyone to get Peppers, another 5 star

Could be we like Chris Partridge, and vice versa having become more familiar with him throu Pepper's recruitment.

It's terrible when your weather balloon gets shot down, isn't it?

He's in a key recruiting area. I'm sure Ohio State only adds good coaches who are in poor recruiting areas, they're such nice people, LOL.

Now run along and gather some bucknuts for that rather squirrely (what-we-lack-in-honesty-we-make-up-for-in-wins) Mrs. Meyer.

Go Blue. Always.

Good one Kirsch.....for a minute I thought, Uh oh, he has a good point. But, as your :) may suggest, Wheatley is a legacy with employment as a football coach. I never thought twice about him being hired and his son being recruited by Michigan. Totally above board and I even encourage his recruitment. Wheatley should be proud his son is following in his dads footsteps. With the hiring of the mother of a transfer, I am just poking a little at Michigan. I have no reason to doubt there is anything wrong with her employment unless there is something that is brought out down the road. Otherwise, renewed enthusiasm in Ann Arbor means a return to the greatest rivalry in college football.

There no hypocrisy whatsoever. And, yes, it looks slimy, like it would if a kid's mom got a job as an inducement for him to come to school and play football at Michigan. And, before you try to rationalize it or box me in, it's slimy no matter who does it (and you have no idea who I support).

Phrase the question "best candidate" differently.

All things being equal, was she the obvious choice?

We're not vetting an presidential appointee here.

Originally posted by Buxs4life:

Good one Kirsch.....for a minute I thought, Uh oh, he has a good point. But, as your :) may suggest, Wheatley is a legacy with employment as a football coach. I never thought twice about him being hired and his son being recruited by Michigan. Totally above board and I even encourage his recruitment. Wheatley should be proud his son is following in his dads footsteps. With the hiring of the mother of a transfer, I am just poking a little at Michigan. I have no reason to doubt there is anything wrong with her employment unless there is something that is brought out down the road. Otherwise, renewed enthusiasm in Ann Arbor means a return to the greatest rivalry in college football.

Finally you're making sense.
The only way the hiring of Lyons mom would come into question is if something happened down the road that would call into question JH'S intentions. As of now, his intentions seem pretty clear. Get a good CB with experience in for his last year and open up the recruiting in south Florida, even more then it is now. I really don't see the issue or problem there.

Originally posted by Sonnysteele:
There no hypocrisy whatsoever. And, yes, it looks slimy, like it would if a kid's mom got a job as an inducement for him to come to school and play football at Michigan. And, before you try to rationalize it or box me in, it's slimy no matter who does it (and you have no idea who I support).

I'm pretty sure we all know who you support.

Even if you think UM hiring Lyon's mom is unethical....

who did UM lie to or mislead in the situation? In the case of Weber, OSU blatantly lied to him to entice him to commit to their school.

Actually, I guarantee you have no idea what school I support. It is in no way apparent from any of my posts. But I do notice your posts are substantially lacking in any meaningful rebuttal to the issue of hiring the parents of prospective recruits. In deference to you, we both know you'd go crazy if one of your rivals engaged in such practices.

Actually, I guarantee you have no idea what school I support. It is in no way apparent from any of my posts. But I do notice your posts are substantially lacking in any meaningful rebuttal to the issue of hiring the parents of prospective recruits. In deference to you, we both know you'd go crazy if one of your rivals engaged in such practices.
Peegs.com? You support Indiana.

If you feel that way then you haven't read nearly enough posts.
And.
I would careless if a rival school or for that matter any other team hired the parent of a player. It's not like this is so uncommon.
Now here is what EVERYONE here notices about you. You are most likely the same person who posted under names such as Kern County and SpartansNation, and probably JMorgan32. You only come here to instigate or stir things up, trying to make yourself sound superior or intelligent with your Wikipedia and Google search posts. In the process you only come off as a little child who feels like his word is the last and most important. Nothing else could be matched by you. No wonder you keep getting banned or just end up making a different name all the time.

And if my posts seem "Substantially lacking" to you, it's because most replies to you aren't worth putting much effort into. Especially when one knows he's talking to a 12 year old.

This post was edited on 2/8 2:00 PM by GoBlue_since1985

This post was edited on 2/8 2:20 PM by GoBlue_since1985

Certain TUOS fans seem more than a little scared by the JH hire.

Not naming any names, mind you.

He a fake buckeye. Fake as hell!

How did you feel when your POS coach Tressel knowingly played

ineligible players and then stupidly tried to pretend he didn't know what to do in that situation?
You were ok with that, I assume? How did you feel when your idiot coach Hayes punched an opposing player? Ok with that one, too?

and thank god we have you to point all those things out.Just doing a service for the better of mankind, right?

Bux, go check out the many universities including yours that hire the

the HS head coach, of parent , AAU coach for that same reason. No excitement on this point brought up. She must fit the job description. "74

wolves.....I honestly can't recall where a parent was hired onto the OSU staff and then their son was either recruited or transferred in the same year they were hired. The only thing close is Archie's son being on the team. What is Mrs. Lyons title with the program? Was she affiliated with a football program in the same capacity before she came to Michigan?

The fact that I registered at the Indiana site doesn't mean I'm an indiana fan, though I knew you'd fall for such an easy head fake. And you still aren't willing to defend the hiring of a recruit's parent. That says everything about your ethics (or lack thereof).

The fact that I registered at the Indiana site doesn't mean I'm an indiana fan, though I knew you'd fall for such an easy head fake. And you still aren't willing to defend the hiring of a recruit's parent. That says everything about your ethics (or lack thereof).
I already defended a tracey its parent being hired. See Wheatley.

Please point out where we hired a recruit's parent, other than Wheatley,

an already established coach filling a needed spot on JH's staff. Thanks in advance.

Wayne Lyons' mother . . .

Gwendolyn Bush is her name, I believe. You're welcome. By the way, I have no problem with Wheatley, a coach and alum. It's far different than Larry Brown hiring Ed Manning.

This post was edited on 2/8 2:34 PM by Sonnysteele

This post was edited on 2/8 2:48 PM by Sonnysteele

You obviously don't know the message board rule that...

OSU fans are NEVER allowed to question the integrity of any other school in America.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT