ADVERTISEMENT

Important. This needs to get around to UM bball fans everywhere...

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
the frustration on the part of fans about bball recruiting is understandable. The problem is there is a disconnect between UM fans and highly ranked bball players. It goes something like...why aren't highly ranked bball players flocking to the UM program.

It has

a. great facilities.
b. great developers of talent.
c. it's winning
d. fill in the blank.

Here is the problem. The disconnect. Look folks. What is the primary focus of a top 20 bball player? They are cultivated to be an NBA player. It's the entire focus of the player and the family. It's an obsession on some level.

Why would a player choose UM which is a team oriented culture? Put Wisconsin in the same category. Why choose a team culture when there are 10 other schools out there whose entire focus in on getting that player to the NBA.

a. PT
b. Offense system tailored to said players
c. adviser access

At the end of the day...said player is going to choose the route that is best for individual development. Does that sound like JB? Listen...I am not saying these other coaches aren't great coaches too but it comes down to a feeling of complete dedication to said players. Coach Cal is a perfect example. As my friend says...even Coach K is totally committed to said players.

When you are competing with 10 other schools you have to offer something beyond the norm. The JB system fundamentally is a spread the wealth perimeter system. It is. Going forward this program should be about getting tiered 2 level players who can shoot the rock and develop guys. Anytime UM is going up against the big boys they are fundamentally going to offer said players a better platform.

Recruiting is going great. One and done is not the only game in town. It's not necessarily a better operation. Don't worry about getting guys who have one eye on the NBA.

From the Illinois site. Great recruiting job by JB and staff. Get the tiered 2 level guys who will stay at least 2 years. Nice. Basketball recruiting is illogical on some level.

Four-star point guard Xavier Simpson has already been pretty busy on the official visit front. Now, after seeing Illinois, Iowa State and Wisconsin officially, Simpson has announced that he is ready to make his college decision.

Officially, the No. 87 player in the class of 2016 from Lima (Ohio) Senior is down to those three schools and Miami and he'll reveal his choice on Wednesday at 2:30 pm at his high school.

Behind the scenes sources have indicated to Rivals that this is really a two-way battle between the Illini and Badgers to land the 5-foot-11 point guard. Wisconsin had the most recent visit, hosting him over Labor Day weekend, and when prospects set commitment times immediately following a visit it usually bodes well for the program they just visited. However, Illinois has targeted Simpson for a much longer amount of time and has been building the relationship for quite some time while Wisconsin's Bo Ryan will be retiring after this season.

- See more at: https://illinois.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1800197#sthash.dfJ3RmJq.dpuf

From the Illinois site. Great recruiting job by JB and staff. Get the tiered 2 level guys who will stay at least 2 years. Nice. Basketball recruiting is illogical on some level.

Four-star point guard Xavier Simpson has already been pretty busy on the official visit front. Now, after seeing Illinois, Iowa State and Wisconsin officially, Simpson has announced that he is ready to make his college decision.

Officially, the No. 87 player in the class of 2016 from Lima (Ohio) Senior is down to those three schools and Miami and he'll reveal his choice on Wednesday at 2:30 pm at his high school.

Behind the scenes sources have indicated to Rivals that this is really a two-way battle between the Illini and Badgers to land the 5-foot-11 point guard. Wisconsin had the most recent visit, hosting him over Labor Day weekend, and when prospects set commitment times immediately following a visit it usually bodes well for the program they just visited. However, Illinois has targeted Simpson for a much longer amount of time and has been building the relationship for quite some time while Wisconsin's Bo Ryan will be retiring after this season.

- See more at: https://illinois.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1800197#sthash.dfJ3RmJq.dpuf

...and Simpson picks...Michigan. Good choice young man.

the frustration on the part of fans about bball recruiting is understandable. The problem is there is a disconnect between UM fans and highly ranked bball players. It goes something like...why aren't highly ranked bball players flocking to the UM program.

It has

a. great facilities.
b. great developers of talent.
c. it's winning
d. fill in the blank.

Here is the problem. The disconnect. Look folks. What is the primary focus of a top 20 bball player? They are cultivated to be an NBA player. It's the entire focus of the player and the family. It's an obsession on some level.

Why would a player choose UM which is a team oriented culture? Put Wisconsin in the same category. Why choose a team culture when there are 10 other schools out there whose entire focus in on getting that player to the NBA.

a. PT
b. Offense system tailored to said players
c. adviser access

At the end of the day...said player is going to choose the route that is best for individual development. Does that sound like JB? Listen...I am not saying these other coaches aren't great coaches too but it comes down to a feeling of complete dedication to said players. Coach Cal is a perfect example. As my friend says...even Coach K is totally committed to said players.

When you are competing with 10 other schools you have to offer something beyond the norm. The JB system fundamentally is a spread the wealth perimeter system. It is. Going forward this program should be about getting tiered 2 level players who can shoot the rock and develop guys. Anytime UM is going up against the big boys they are fundamentally going to offer said players a better platform.

Recruiting is going great. One and done is not the only game in town. It's not necessarily a better operation. Don't worry about getting guys who have one eye on the NBA.

I respect your posts greatly, but I can't tell you how much I disagree with this post with respect to Winston and Battle.

You are correct that players are focused on getting to the NBA. But your argument holds only for 10 HS player ranked by Rivals. But neither Winston (Rivals 23) nor Battle (25) were Top 10 players.

While Rivals rankings don't correlate for football, they are almost a perfect predictor of success in NBA. For the 2014 draft, these were the top Rivals players: Wiggins (Rivals 1), Randle (Rivals 2), Alex Gordon (3), Jabari Parker (4), Noah Voleh (8), Marcus Smart (10).

And the non-Top 20 talent: only McGary, Stauskas, McDermot, Jordan Adams, and Zach Levine were not top 20 talent.

In 2013, the non-top 20 talent was Ben McLemore (34), Otto Porter (37), Dieng (44), Shane Larkin (72) and Trey Burke (142) and Olidipo (114).

That means JB is 10 to 20% of the non-top 20 talent drafted into the league in the First Round in the last two years - that's pretty impressive.

So my point is:

- If you are top 10-20, you're right.
- If you are 20-100, the BEST way for you to get to the League is to go to Blue.

Thank you for the compliment. Appreciated.

I agree with you but some of these guys in the 20-40 range think they are 1st round NBA picks. See GR3.

But I wholeheartedly agree that if you are a very good player and you realize you need to get better and you need some seasoning then UM is a great choice especially if you are a 3, 2 or 1 position player.

I think these high end guys are a poison trap. You have to constantly re-recruit and they are more concerned about NBA prospects. See GR3 again. I like GR3 by the way but the question is what value does GR3 bring to a program vs. a guy who isn't quite as good but stays longer and can develop.

Wisconsin is a great example of how to run a successful program. Ryan did it a different way (system) than JB but both of these guys did it. JB has this program humming along.

Reality Man

Thank you for the compliment. Appreciated.

I agree with you but some of these guys in the 20-40 range think they are 1st round NBA picks. See GR3.

But I wholeheartedly agree that if you are a very good player and you realize you need to get better and you need some seasoning then UM is a great choice especially if you are a 3, 2 or 1 position player.

I think these high end guys are a poison trap. You have to constantly re-recruit and they are more concerned about NBA prospects. See GR3 again. I like GR3 by the way but the question is what value does GR3 bring to a program vs. a guy who isn't quite as good but stays longer and can develop.

Wisconsin is a great example of how to run a successful program. Ryan did it a different way (system) than JB but both of these guys did it. JB has this program humming along.

Reality Man
thanks -

I think you hit on the problem. It's players in the 20 - 50 range who think they are stars. (Robinson was ultimately ranked 11 by Rivals).

Somebody needs to make a spreadsheet for these kids.

Reality Man, Michigan, outside of Kentucky, I believe has the best track record of players in the NBA over the past 5 years. We have now had 5 players drafted and playing - Stauskas, McGary, Robinson, Hardaway, and Burke. Also, Caris will get drafted in the first round next year. Outside of Kentucky no program can say that they have done this over the past 2 years so technically Michigan should be getting better recruits. I think the bigger challenge is that Beilein is a very straight laced guy and does not like playing games, and quite frankly I am ok with that given his track record. I think we kind dropped the ball on some recruits and he could learn a thing or 2 from JH where JH offers every top player and does not bank on 1-2 players to make him whole.

Either way, I think Michigan will be just fine next year. I am concerned about our bigs but we have a lot of experience returning to Michigan and given the way most JB teams shoot, we will always be in every game.

The problem is there is a disconnect between UM fans and highly ranked bball players. It goes something like...why aren't highly ranked bball players flocking to the UM program.

As I've had relayed to me for some time, the program needs a home run recruiter. Tony Barbee and Jalen Rose would be my picks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT