ADVERTISEMENT

If Pen State Wins the B1G?

ecrosswhite

Sophomore
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2016
If Pen wins...does that mean they are the best team in the conference and worthy of a Playoff spot?
They win the conference
They beat Ohio State (head to head) how do they get left out? Wouldn't Ohio State get left out?

If they are both in..? Shouldn't we be in too!? We beat Pen to death and have the same record as Pen...

Who gets left out? Other conferences or many B1G teams that are better than others?

If Pen wins...does that mean they are the best team in the conference and worthy of a Playoff spot?
They win the conference
They beat Ohio State (head to head) how do they get left out? Wouldn't Ohio State get left out?

If they are both in..? Shouldn't we be in too!? We beat Pen to death and have the same record as Pen...

Who gets left out? Other conferences or many B1G teams that are better than others?
Hard pill to swallow if you ask me.
The thought of either Penn or OshitU in the CFP is sickening.

What it all means is that this will finally propel them to an 8 game playoff.
I hope you are right...the sad part is that last time we were ranked 2 and Ohio state 1 we lost by 1 and we're left out... next year, playoff system...why do we have to always be the sacrifice for the system to change? Hard deal

PSU would have one more win then us if they win the BIG so technically a better winning percentage. If PSU wins out and Washington and Clemson win their conferences then OSU likely gets left out.

Reactions: colt21
Ultimately the whole system is still a mess. Someone will still get pissed at being left out, but whoever is #9 would never have won anyhow. In some years, though, #5 would have a legitimate argument. Like this year, perhaps.

Look, I do not believe for a second that PSU is necessarily in the top 4 teams in the country, should we be fortunate enough to win today and next week. But, the system sucks. You can't give the idiots in charge too much rope to hang themselves with. And they won't make changes unless the outcry is too loud to ignore.

Ultimately the whole system is still a mess. Someone will still get pissed at being left out, but whoever is #9 would never have won anyhow. In some years, though, #5 would have a legitimate argument. Like this year, perhaps.

Look, I do not believe for a second that PSU is necessarily in the top 4 teams in the country, should we be fortunate enough to win today and next week. But, the system sucks. You can't give the idiots in charge too much rope to hang themselves with. And they won't make changes unless the outcry is too loud to ignore.
I think the outcry will be loud this year...I think Pen State is sealing that right now

I say this in all sincerity. Look....PSU may not be better than OSU and UM but they WON. They found ways to win at the end of the game and UM didn't.

UM doesn't have anyone to blame other than themselves. PSU was given an easier schedule and UM crapped the bed.

What's the excuse for UM losing at Iowa? Watch that game...running into the punter TWICE. Ran into the punter today. Dropped the snap at the 1? Played to the run game in the 4th quarter. Drop balls? Iowa anyone.

Come on. It's a season long process and PSU found ways to win ugly and didn't for a lack of a better word...choke.

UM isn't a bad team but if I judge UM on it's merits...they would find a way to lose to Wisconsin or the playoff competitor.

No other way to look at it.

RM

They win the conference

Don't feel sorry for UM at all. They had the game at Iowa and blew it and had the game at OSU and blew it again. It ain't the fault of PSU that UM can't close on the road.

RM

Penn State will get pounded by Wisconsin. And even if they don't, they're just not worthy of a playoff spot. You can't overcome that resume.

Reactions: rojo36
I say this in all sincerity. Look....PSU may not be better than OSU and UM but they WON. They found ways to win at the end of the game and UM didn't.

UM doesn't have anyone to blame other than themselves. PSU was given an easier schedule and UM crapped the bed.

What's the excuse for UM losing at Iowa? Watch that game...running into the punter TWICE. Ran into the punter today. Dropped the snap at the 1? Played to the run game in the 4th quarter. Drop balls? Iowa anyone.

Come on. It's a season long process and PSU found ways to win ugly and didn't for a lack of a better word...choke.

UM isn't a bad team but if I judge UM on it's merits...they would find a way to lose to Wisconsin or the playoff competitor.

No other way to look at it.

RM
Well look at it this way.... we beat Pen 49-10 and didn't "choke" in that game...and guess what?!! We beat Wisconsin already too. We lost to Ohio State by 3 in double OT in their house... if we were in the Bighouse we would have possibly won. If Ohio State IS the second to possibly 1st best team in the FBS how can we not be second? If we are not second... then they are not 1 or 2... it's that simple

Reactions: rojo36
It's probably in your best interests to root for us next weekend. If we win, and you beat us, and we beat Ohio State, it seems possible that you could jump them. Sort of. I guess.

As I said before, there needs to be an 8 team playoff.

The 4 best teams don't always make the playoffs. It's a 12 game season and you have to win each week to be considered. If PSU played Michigan today we would beat them by 20 points again - it's all about matchups. Last year, OSU was clearly one of the best teams out there but they did not get a chance to play so the playoff system is what it is.

If you really want to go based on the full season the 4 teams would be Bama, OSU, Michigan, and Clemson. But reality is that Michigan will be left out of the consideration.

As of right now I see Bama and Clemson as locks. I also think if Washington beats Colorado or USC they are in. The question really is if you take a 11-2 Wisconsin team (BIG champion) versus an 11-1 OSU team? If PSU beats Wisconsin, OSU is pretty much out of the playoff race.

The 4 best teams don't always make the playoffs. It's a 12 game season and you have to win each week to be considered. If PSU played Michigan today we would beat them by 20 points again - it's all about matchups. Last year, OSU was clearly one of the best teams out there but they did not get a chance to play so the playoff system is what it is.

If you really want to go based on the full season the 4 teams would be Bama, OSU, Michigan, and Clemson. But reality is that Michigan will be left out of the consideration.

As of right now I see Bama and Clemson as locks. I also think if Washington beats Colorado or USC they are in. The question really is if you take a 11-2 Wisconsin team (BIG champion) versus an 11-1 OSU team? If PSU beats Wisconsin, OSU is pretty much out of the playoff race.

Losses later in the season hurt rankings much more. But regarding Wisky, I think OSU would get in because of head to head as a tie breaker type thing with the playoff committee.

I think OSU gets in. No doubt about it. They lost a fluke on the road. UM lost two on the road. Coaching and 4th quarters unfortunately count. :(

I think Wisconsin can get in but not PSU. PSU just doesn't pass the look test. It's 39 pt loss to UM is just too hard to justify along with an extremely weak schedule. It's not like Wisconsin is all world either.

Going to be hard to rationalize a BT champion not getting in the final four but PSU will pass that test. I personally think Washington will get it in if they win out along with Alabama, OSU and Clemson.

If Washington loses then Wisconsin. If Wiscy loses then your guess is as good as mine.

RM

I think OSU gets in. No doubt about it. They lost a fluke on the road. UM lost two on the road. Coaching and 4th quarters unfortunately count. :(

I think Wisconsin can get in but not PSU. PSU just doesn't pass the look test. It's 39 pt loss to UM is just too hard to justify along with an extremely weak schedule. It's not like Wisconsin is all world either.

Going to be hard to rationalize a BT champion not getting in the final four but PSU will pass that test. I personally think Washington will get it in if they win out along with Alabama, OSU and Clemson.

If Washington loses then Wisconsin. If Wiscy loses then your guess is as good as mine.

RM

Florida - amazingly - still has a chance if they win at FSU tonight and then beats Alabama next week. Unlikely, I know, but they still are alive.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are still kicking too. OK State is an interesting case if they beat OU next week. They would be 10-2 but with one of their "losses" in that weird game against CMU in week 2.

They win the conference

Are there something like a 1,000 colors in your world?

It's probably in your best interests to root for us next weekend. If we win, and you beat us, and we beat Ohio State, it seems possible that you could jump them. Sort of. I guess.

As I said before, there needs to be an 8 team playoff.

Are you dumb or something?. There is no sequence of events that lands Michigan ahead of OSU.

If no more upsets, then Alabama, Clemson, Washington, and Ohio State. OSU beat Oklahoma, Michigan, and Wisconsin, and neither Penn State nor Wisconsin have nearly the resume. 4 team playoff is fine--particularly this year. Of course if Washington loses, then who has the right to get beat by Alabama? Wiscy if they win, sure, but if they lose? Geez.

Lol. Go ahead and keep telling yourself that. Hahaha
Sure I'm telling myself that. Ohio State is in, that's irrefutable logic. Just for laughs, outline a scenario where Michigan gets in ahead of them. I'd love to hear it. You lost to a team and have twice as many losses as they have. By all means use your imagination as you draw up your "master plan." Fire away.

Sure I'm telling myself that. Ohio State is in, that's irrefutable logic. Just for laughs, outline a scenario where Michigan gets in ahead of them. I'd love to hear it. You lost to a team and have twice as many losses as they have. By all means use your imagination as you draw up your "master plan." Fire away.

Hahahahaha. You really know nothing. Which is ok. You continue to prove it to us. Haha

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT