ADVERTISEMENT

How will the BWI folks handle yeterday's AFC title game?

Code Blue

All-American
May 30, 2001
They have to be tearing themselves apart. Chris Hogan, former Nit, was the big hero, right? But he was catching passes thrown by.... ugh, they can't even utter that name. So much fun to be had with those guys. :)

They have to be tearing themselves apart. Chris Hogan, former Nit, was the big hero, right? But he was catching passes thrown by.... ugh, they can't even utter that name. So much fun to be had with those guys. :)

Here is what I know ..... I'm a Seattle Seahawks fan, and my team beat BOTH New England and Atlanta in the regular season.

Using the logic around here (U-M's regular season win "trumps" the fact that PSU finished higher in the standings and actually won the conference, an accomplishment that has of course eluded Michigan for quite some time now) ........... who cares who wins the Super Bowl? My Seahawks have bragging rights over both!

So, suck it Tom Brady!!!!! 31-24!!!!!! You too, Matt Ryan!!!!!! 26-24!!!!!!

Here is what I know ..... I'm a Seattle Seahawks fan, and my team beat BOTH New England and Atlanta in the regular season.

Using the logic around here (U-M's regular season win "trumps" the fact that PSU finished higher in the standings and actually won the conference, an accomplishment that has of course eluded Michigan for quite some time now) ........... who cares who wins the Super Bowl? My Seahawks have bragging rights over both!

So, suck it Tom Brady!!!!! 31-24!!!!!! You too, Matt Ryan!!!!!! 26-24!!!!!![/QUOTEBetter

49-10 another M win. Must be a lousy Big 10 officating crew again, blah, blah, blah, sob, I'm going to tell my daddy.

49-10 another M win. Must be a lousy Big 10 officating crew again, blah, blah, blah, sob, I'm going to tell my daddy.

Hey, if you as a Michigan fan are happier beating the B1G Champion (as opposed to BEING the B1G Champion) --- good for you.

As for me, I find that behavior kind of sad. Similarly, I find anyone (PSU fans or U-M fans after the Buckeye game) who complain about the refs kind of sad.

Hey, if you as a Michigan fan are happier beating the B1G Champion (as opposed to BEING the B1G Champion) --- good for you.

As for me, I find that behavior kind of sad. Similarly, I find anyone (PSU fans or U-M fans after the Buckeye game) who complain about the refs kind of sad.

Of course you do.

But we're not sad that you are sad, we know that: It didn't happen to your team.

Not seeing you say you thought the U-M/OSU game was officiated fairly, which tells me you don't want to completely blow your credibility to bits.

Go Blue. Always.

Reactions: rojo36
Of course you do.

But we're not sad that you are sad, we know that: It didn't happen to your team.

Not seeing you say you thought the U-M/OSU game was officiated fairly, which tells me you don't want to completely blow your credibility to bits.

Go Blue. Always.

Hmmm. You refer to "what happened to my team." Well, let's look at the OSU/PSU game, comparing what happened when "my team" and "your team" played Ohio State.

Let's look specifically at (1) turning the ball over, and (2) playing defense during crunch-time. Both of these are things that a team directly controls, correct? No referee involvement in these things?

(1) Michigan turned the ball over 3 times against OSU, one of them being a "pick-six" that led directly to seven points. Another interception got returned to the OSU 13, which led to a fairly easy OSU TD. If one is being a smart-ass, couldn't one say that Wilson Speight (who at last check was not a referee) was OSU's best player for the game's first 45 minutes? Anyway, Penn State turned the ball over only once, at their own 38.

(2) Michigan allowed Ohio State to score on each of their final 3 possessions. Before you whine about "the spot", it is true that Michigan still had a chance to stop Ohio State from scoring on that possession, correct? Of course, it only took 1 play for Ohio State to score. Anyway, Penn State prevented Ohio State from scoring on each of their final 5 possessions.

Michigan didn't do enough in terms of (1) not turning the ball over, and (2) stopping OSU in crunch-time. Nothing is referee associated there! Thus they lost to Ohio State (unlike Penn State, who did better at these things).

Last edited:
Hmmm. You refer to "what happened to my team." Well, let's look at the OSU/PSU game, comparing what happened when "my team" and "your team" played Ohio State.

Let's look specifically at (1) turning the ball over, and (2) playing defense during crunch-time. Both of these are things that a team directly controls, correct? No referee involvement in these things?

(1) Michigan turned the ball over 3 times against OSU, one of them being a "pick-six" that led directly to seven points. Penn State turned the ball over once, turning the ball over near mid-field.

(2) Michigan allowed Ohio State to score on each of their final 3 possessions. Before you whine about "the spot", it is true that Michigan still had a chance to stop Ohio State from scoring on that possession, correct? Of course, it only took 1 play for Ohio State to score. Anyway, Penn State prevented Ohio State from scoring on each of their final 5 possessions.

Michigan didn't do enough in either of these characteristics. Thus they lost to Ohio State (unlike Penn State, who did better at these things).

Hmmm. A reply that dodges the one-sided officiating; I'm not surprised.

Go Blue. Always.

Go Blue. Always.

The reason I bring up Michigan's self-inflicted mistakes (e.g., they lost the game on their own) --- it's because I don't believe there WAS one-sided officiating in the 2016 Michigan/Ohio State football game.

I get it - that opinion automatically disqualifies me. Fair enough.

In actuality, I can't think of ANY football game that has involved one-sided officiating. Maybe you don't wish to converse with me anymore --- but if you do, can you point me to other historical games with such occurrences?

Have to look back to 1999 when PSU had a double digit lead in the 4th Qtr. and Tom Terrific lead UM to 3 TDs and we won. The Comeback Kids they were called; even the Orange Bowl win over Alabama in OVT.. GBGB"74

Have to look back to 1999 when PSU had a double digit lead in the 4th Qtr. and Tom Terrific lead UM to 3 TDs and we won. The Comeback Kids they were called; even the Orange Bowl win over Alabama in OVT.. GBGB"74

Penn State had something like 2 yards rushing in that game. PSU had a double-digit lead because of strong special teams play and Brady throwing 3 INTs prior to the 4th quarter comeback. Michigan was the better team in the trenches that day and did deserve to win.

Michigan still could have won the game, in spite of the shoddy officiating.

They would have won in regulation with fair

Go Blue. Always.
As I've stated before --- I don't believe there WAS one-sided officiating in the 2016 Michigan/Ohio State football game.

In fact, I can't think of ANY football game that has involved one-sided officiating. Can you point me to other historical games with such occurrences?

LOL.

No, I can't point to other games with similar occurrences, and that's in 25 years of watching college football.

That's a good thing.

But then what went down in Columbus isn't surprising, given the venue, the stakes, the rivalry and the fact that two admitted-Buckeye fans were on that crew.

The penalties-in-yards count was one-sided, and the non-calls were obvious enough to be the acknowledged Monday morning on national radio - and those weren't Michigan fans stating the obvious.

Those non-calls are on tape, btw. Nothing trumped up or inflated.

Was a game with one-sided officiating and that is amply supported by the math and the video.

It's to Michigan's substantial credit that they had a shot at winning the game in spite of the officiating, and with some semblance of balance in the calls, I have zero doubt they would have won.

Go Blue. Always.

Last edited:
LOL.

No, I can't point to other games with similar occurrences, and that's in 25 years of watching college football.

That's a good thing.

But then what what went down in Columbus isn't surprising, given the venue, the stakes, the rivalry and the fact that two admitted-Buckeye fans were on that crew.

The penalties-in-yards count was one-sided, and the non-calls were obvious enough to be the acknowledged Monday morning on national radio - and those weren't Michigan fans stating the obvious.

Those non-calls are on tape, btw. Nothing trumped up or inflated.

Was a game with one-sided officiating and that is amply supported by the math and the video.

It's to Michigan's substantial credit that they had a shot at winning the game in spite of the officiating, and with some semblance of balance in the calls, I have zero doubt they would have won.

Go Blue. Always.

OK, no other examples. Fair enough.

So you've watched 25 years of football.

Yet the ONLY game with "one-sided officiating" that you can think of is:

(1) a game your favorite team lost,

(2) a game against your favorite team's biggest rival,

(3) a game against your favorite team's biggest rival, who your favorite team had only defeated 2 of the last 14 times,

(4) a game that, if won, would have vaulted your favorite team into the B1G title game, likely ending your favorite team's rather agonizing 11+-year conference Championship drought.

(5) a game that, if won, would have kept alive you favorite team's chances at competing for the National Championship.

I get it, you don't think I'm being objective in my opinion.

But given all that above, can you understand why I'm not viewing your opinion as being 100% objective?

OK, no other examples. Fair enough.

So you've watched 25 years of football.

Yet the ONLY game with "one-sided officiating" that you can think of is:

(1) a game your favorite team lost,

(2) a game against your favorite team's biggest rival,

(3) a game against your favorite team's biggest rival, who your favorite team had only defeated 2 of the last 14 times,

(4) a game that, if won, would have vaulted your favorite team into the B1G title game, likely ending your favorite team's rather agonizing 11+-year conference Championship drought.

(5) a game that, if won, would have kept alive you favorite team's chances at competing for the National Championship.

I get it, you don't think I'm being objective in my opinion.

But given all that above, can you understand why I'm not viewing your opinion as being 100% objective?

Yep. Worst I have ever seen, which is why it's a hot button topic with me, still.

Maybe others here HAVE seen worse? Anyway, whether there have or have not been been games featuring even more one-sided officiating is irrelevant. The math and video speak volumes for Michigan's game at Columbus.

Seen Michigan lose a lot of games the past few years, and many to Ohio State.

Wasn't on here saying remotely-similar things because in my experience nothing remotely-similar ever went down.

Go Blue. Always.

Yep. Worst I have ever seen, which is why it's a hot button topic with me, still.

Maybe others here HAVE seen worse? Anyway, whether there have or have not been been games featuring even more one-sided officiating is irrelevant. The math and video speak volumes for Michigan's game at Columbus.

Seen Michigan lose a lot of games the past few years, and many to Ohio State.

Wasn't on here saying remotely-similar things because in my experience nothing remotely-similar ever went down.

Go Blue. Always.

FWIW, let's talk about the 2005 Penn State/Michigan game from the Penn State fan POV:

1. a game that was lost, literally, on the last play of the game,

2. a game against a team that Penn State considers one of their two biggest in-conference rivals,

3. a game against a team that they had lost 7 consecutive games prior,

4. a game that, if won, would have likely led to an undefeated season (and perhaps, given how things would go down the road, a National Championship shot),

5. a game that, in the aftermath, had some Penn State fans complained bitterly about the officiating.

6. a game that, in the aftermath, had some Penn State fans talking about how "referees are from the state of Michigan" and how "Dick Honig is a life-long Michigan fan!"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

So many similarities between that game (from the Penn State POV) and the 2016 U-M/OSU game (from the Michigan POV). In fact, after I list the similarities, it's kind of spooky. Similar all the way down to the level of folks researching what state the referees are from, and what schools they are fans of.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I get it. You're too proud to EVER admit it. But from my POV, you're behaving like many November 2005 BWI posters. You're one of them, just a fan of a different team. :)

Last edited:
FWIW, let's talk about the 2005 Penn State/Michigan game from the Penn State fan POV:

2. a game against a team that Penn State considers one of their two biggest in-conference rivals,

4. a game that, if won, would have likely led to an undefeated season (and perhaps, given how things would go down the road, a National Championship shot),

5. a game that, in the aftermath, had some Penn State fans complained bitterly about the officiating.

6. a game that, in the aftermath, had some Penn State fans talking about how "referees are from the state of Michigan" and how "Dick Honig is a life-long Michigan fan!"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. So many similarities between that games stakes (from the Penn State POV) and the 2016 U-M/OSU game's stakes (from the Michigan POV).

I get it. You're too proud to EVER admit it. But from my POV, you're absolutely behaving like many November 2005 BWI posters.

I was at the 2005 game. I know PSU fans were bitter.

But they were happy until Henne found Manningham on the last play of the game.
I was sitting near a bunch of PSU fans in Sec 20.

In C-Bus, the horror started in the first Q and continued throughout regulation and into OT.

They ruined the game. There was nothing 'fair and square' about how the officials worked that game, start to finish.

Too proud??? The refereeing was deplorable and a different crew should have been chosen to work that game and the crew that did should have worked some other match.

Fan boys should not be assigned a marquee game involving their favorite team ( and two have admitted to being Bucks fans - publicly.) They just shouldn't, or else you risk marring a marquee matchup, and that's precisely what they did.

Wonder how proud they are. Not proud enough to recuse themselves, we know that much.

Go Blue. Always.

Hey Michnittlion....I know you've got connections to both schools, can you share them again? I know you follow the "game" well and the history of both schools, whether opponents of both PSU and Michigan and the PSU/Michigan rivalry.

Hey Michnittlion....I know you've got connections to both schools, can you share them again? I know you follow the "game" well and the history of both schools, whether opponents of both PSU and Michigan and the PSU/Michigan rivalry.

Grew up in Detroit, rooted for Michigan. I attended Penn State for my undergrad. Spent my post-undergrad days in Detroit, Grand Rapids, Cincinnati (2007-2016), and just moved out to Denver at the beginning of CY 2017, for my first foray into non-B1G country.

As to the future --- go Buffs??? I guess? Next season will seem a bit strange, not living in a part of the country where there is such passion for college football.

Last edited:
Grew up in Detroit, rooted for Michigan. I attended Penn State for my undergrad. Spent my post-undergrad days in Detroit, Grand Rapids, Cincinnati (2007-2016), and just moved out to Denver at the beginning of CY 2017, for my first foray into non-B1G country.

As to the future --- go Buffs??? I guess? Next season will seem a bit strange, not living in a part of the country where there is such passion for college football.
Thanks...good luck in the Mile-high City. I wasn't sure if you attended U-M though I remembered that you had gone to PSU. I felt you "leaned" a bit towards "Happy Valley"...you've been a Traveling Man if I must say...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

So many similarities between that game (from the Penn State POV) and the 2016 U-M/OSU game (from the Michigan POV). In fact, after I list the similarities, it's kind of spooky. Similar all the way down to the level of folks researching what state the referees are from, and what schools they are fans of.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I get it. You're too proud to EVER admit it. But from my POV, you're behaving like many November 2005 BWI posters. You're one of them, just a fan of a different team. :)
Well heck man, there's your problem.
You've been considering us one of your biggest rivals, and im not even sure psu cracks the top 5 for UM. FWIW.

Why did you attend Penn State ?? I am a Michigan native and never knew anyone who went there from M.

Why did you attend Penn State ?? I am a Michigan native and never knew anyone who went there from M.

I only applied to 2 schools - Michigan and Penn State. I was aiming for a relatively specialized major (~ 50 schools in America offer it), and (not to brag) my grades/test scores were 98-99 percentile type numbers, so no need to go applying to all kinds of schools. I was certain I'd get accepted to both schools, and I was.

Both schools were fine academically in my major --- PSU #2 nationally, Michigan top 25%. I tend to believe --- and I thought this even as a dumb high school kid --- that the school on your diploma doesn't mean that much in the long run, it's more about the student. So I never got caught up at all in "School A is better academically than School B, so you better go to School A."

Michigan: many of my classmates (Warren De La Salle High School) and friends went there, and it's only an hour drive from Macomb County. But I do like to explore and try new things. I wanted something different, and I wanted something where coming home every-other-weekend really was not an option --- the challenge of force myself into an unknown situation where I had to figure things out on my own, without the "safety wheels" of parents and established friends right next door. A school 400 miles and a 7.5 hour drive away did that.

I like the outdoors, so PSU's setting worked too. It is a very pretty and comfortable campus. Just my opinion, I know others disagree, but it's a lot better than Michigan's --- I will say that I never really warmed up to Ann Arbor or the campus on my visits there. All that said, I was ready to get out of State College after 4 years. It's a nice "retreat" but it's also not the real world (like many college campuses, but PSU is probably a bit more this way than most).

The school has served me well for life's later years. I'm proud to be a PSU alum. I did "boomerang" back to Wayne State in Detroit for my Masters work down the road.

Last edited:

You guys won the national championship? News to me..... Last I saw was baseball player Trace McSorely's prayer offense turn the ball over to lose their bowl game.

You guys won the national championship? News to me..... Last I saw was baseball player Trace McSorely's prayer offense turn the ball over to lose their bowl game.

When did I say PSU won a National Championship? PSU did win the B1G Championship of course.

Given how the season played out, any Michigan fan yelling "49-10" to a Penn State fan looks stupid in my mind. Ditto for any Seahawks fan yelling "we beat you in week 10" to a Patriots fan after New England wins the Super Bowl in 12 days.

I get it --- you want to take a shot at PSU. Thus the grauitous and off-topic "baseball player McSorley" comment.

But it is what it is. Penn State has what Michigan lusts for --- the title of reigning Champions.

When did I say PSU won a National Championship? PSU did win the B1G Championship of course.

Given how the season played out, any Michigan fan yelling "49-10" to a Penn State fan looks stupid in my mind. Ditto for any Seahawks fan yelling "we beat you in week 10" to a Patriots fan after New England wins the Super Bowl in 12 days.

I get it --- you want to take a shot at PSU. Thus the grauitous and off-topic "baseball player McSorley" comment.

But it is what it is. Penn State has what Michigan lusts for --- the title of reigning Champions.
No, my point is the Super Bowl Championship does not equate to a B1G championship. It closer to relates to a divisional championship. So had PSU won the national championship, this conversation wouldn't be the same.

No, my point is the Super Bowl Championship does not equate to a B1G championship. It closer to relates to a divisional championship. So had PSU won the national championship, this conversation wouldn't be the same.

rolling eyes. You're not dumb, you know the real point of my post.

As I told someone else upstream, if a Michigan fan is happier beating the B1G Champion (as opposed to BEING the B1G Champion) --- good for them.

That seems dumb to me (it actually seems rather Sparty-like). But that's just my opinion.

I only applied to 2 schools - Michigan and Penn State. I was aiming for a relatively specialized major (~ 50 schools in America offer it), and (not to brag) my grades/test scores were 98-99 percentile type numbers, so no need to go applying to all kinds of schools. I was certain I'd get accepted to both schools, and I was.

Both schools were fine academically in my major --- PSU #2 nationally, Michigan top 25%. I tend to believe --- and I thought this even as a dumb high school kid --- that the school on your diploma doesn't mean that much in the long run, it's more about the student. So I never got caught up at all in "School A is better academically than School B, so you better go to School A."

Michigan: many of my classmates (Warren De La Salle High School) and friends went there, and it's only an hour drive from Macomb County. But I do like to explore and try new things. I wanted something different, and I wanted something where coming home every-other-weekend really was not an option --- the challenge of force myself into an unknown situation where I had to figure things out on my own, without the "safety wheels" of parents and established friends right next door. A school 400 miles and a 7.5 hour drive away did that.

I like the outdoors, so PSU's setting worked too. It is a very pretty and comfortable campus. Just my opinion, I know others disagree, but it's a lot better than Michigan's --- I will say that I never really warmed up to Ann Arbor or the campus on my visits there. All that said, I was ready to get out of State College after 4 years. It's a nice "retreat" but it's also not the real world (like many college campuses, but PSU is probably a bit more this way than most).

The school has served me well for life's later years. I'm proud to be a PSU alum. I did "boomerang" back to Wayne State in Detroit for my Masters work down the road.
Cannot agree with you about the campuses, having seen both and lived in A2 for eight years. Not to mention the towns the schools are located in. Thanks for your detailed answer though.

rolling eyes. You're not dumb, you know the real point of my post.

As I told someone else upstream, if a Michigan fan is happier beating the B1G Champion (as opposed to BEING the B1G Champion) --- good for them.

That seems dumb to me (it actually seems rather Sparty-like). But that's just my opinion.
C'mon man. You know this is all just satire. Mindless jargon if you will. You guys won the B1G. We beat you guys 49-10. What other argument do you want/expect from this?

Michigan does not lust after what Penn State has-especially now.

You may learn to hate Nebraska :).... tons of very vocal Huskers in Denver/Colorado in general. The Buffalo fans are harmless :).

You may learn to hate Nebraska :).... tons of very vocal Huskers in Denver/Colorado in general. The Buffalo fans are harmless :).

Very true. Denver's more Cornhusker territory (and remarkably, might also be more Jayhawk territory) than Buffalo territory.

The B1G as a whole is well represented here. Crazy stat: Ohio State and Michigan both have more alumni living in Colorado than in Indiana!!! Penn State has more alumni living in Colorado then any traditional B1G state outside of Ohio.

Last edited:

(1) Michigan turned the ball over 3 times against OSU, one of them being a "pick-six" that led directly to seven points. Another interception got returned to the OSU 13, which led to a fairly easy OSU TD. If one is being a smart-ass, couldn't one say that Wilson Speight (who at last check was not a referee) was OSU's best player for the game's first 45 minutes? Anyway, Penn State turned the ball over only once, at their own 38.

Michigan didn't do enough in terms of (1) not turning the ball over, and (2) stopping OSU in crunch-time. Nothing is referee associated there! Thus they lost to Ohio State (unlike Penn State, who did better at these things).
Give me a break, next thing you'll be doing is trying to diagram the blocked kick returned for a td. You backed in but creds for that. We know the best team doesn't always win..

Okay give you one shot at redeeming this thread: Tartars or Warriors? Choose wisely...

Give me a break, next thing you'll be doing is trying to diagram the blocked kick returned for a td. You backed in but creds for that. We know the best team doesn't always win..

"Backed in" ---- ha ha.

Not many teams win a B1G Championship by going undefeated. Only happened 6 times --- and in 5 seasons (Iowa & OSU both did it in 2002) --- in the last 20 years.

Winning a Championship requires playing well in many games, not just one.

By your logic, I am now taking away Michigan's 1998, 2000, 2003, and 2004 B1G Championships. Weren't undefeated, after all.

For instance, Penn State beat Purdue (who beat Michigan) in 2000. Purdue and Michigan both finished tied a top the B1G. So that means Michigan "backed in" to that Championship solely because of Penn State! You owe me a thank you! :)

Last edited:
Okay give you one shot at redeeming this thread: Tartars or Warriors? Choose wisely...

Unfortunately, WSU was already the "Warriors" by the time I showed up.

Tartars is definitely preferred by me. I always prefer the unique nicknames vs. the standard ones. WSU had been the only University in America with that nickname. Now there are none.

However, according to the link below --- Tartars does still live on at 4 High Schools across the country. Including 1 in Michigan: "Michigan High School for the Deaf" up in Flint. Those Tartars do play football too --- 8-man football.

http://highschoolnicknames.homestead.com/

Penn State loved it.

By the way, when was Michigan's last lacrosse player who did so well?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT