ADVERTISEMENT

How important is NIL to top recruits’ decisions? Not very.

Anison

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2001
“Chasing the bag” sounds increasingly like something very few recruits are engaged in. And it makes sense given most schools don’t have donors willing to give tens of millions.

From The Athletic’s interviews with participants in the Under Armour All-American game:

Did you sign with the school that offered you the best NIL deal? If not, how much did you leave on the table to sign with where you ultimately decided to go?

• It wasn’t a big difference for me in terms of the total package. All the schools offered about $300,000 to $400,000 per year with the ability to earn more.

• I left some money on the table, about $50,000. But I signed with my dream school.

• The dollar figures were similar so NIL wasn’t a priority for me. I’m worried about the big bucks later. My relationship with the coaches, watching them practice and seeing it was really was the biggest factor.

• I had another school offer me the same NIL deal in total, but with a signing bonus. The signing bonus would’ve been basically a really nice car. The NIL deal is like an NFL rookie contract. I had an agent handle it all for me. As soon as NIL came out, my dad was like, “You need an agent.” When schools call, they have the position coach, head coach and the money man from the collective call you. That last guy is the one who talks about NIL with the agent.

• I signed with the team that gave me the best chance to make the NFL, not the most NIL money.

• I didn’t sign with the school who offered me the biggest NIL deal I could’ve gotten, but coming from where I come from, any money I receive from a college is life-changing money.

• I signed completely off the bond I built with coaches. I didn’t start talking about NIL until recently. I’ll be making about $80,000 to $100,000 per year. A couple other schools had similar offers.

• No, I didn’t. I signed with (my school) and they gave me like $90,000. I feel like it’s not really about the money for me and I like (my school). … I want to say (my best offer was about) $200,000. They came in the process late and (my school) was there since my freshman year so it was easy.

• I didn’t sign with the school who offered the biggest deal. In total, it was probably about $300,000 in difference for the three years. Why did I go to the school offering less money? Because in the long run I could go somewhere where I can stay focused — not be distracted — and get on the field right away.

• I signed with the school who offered me the best NIL deal. Other schools threw a lot of big numbers out, but the school I signed with I trusted I’d get the money because I saw other guys got it.

• I left some money on the table. I didn’t bring up NIL until my official visits. One team told me if I committed early and helped bring other guys in, they’d give me $40,000 a month up until I signed. But I didn’t sign with them.

• To be honest, I didn’t. I don’t really look at all that stuff right now. I (chose) the school that, I wouldn’t say showed the best love, but it was a school where I just really liked being around the people and I felt like I could make an impact there. … I’ll get (NIL) later on. I think I’m looking to invest in myself now and then get a bigger bag later on.

• I’m not sure. I didn’t really ask about NIL, money-wise. That wasn’t really on my mind. I knew it was gonna come, but I just wasn’t really concerned about

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News