ADVERTISEMENT

Help for RU Visitor this weekend

Jul 24, 2001
Hello Wolverine brothers.

First congratulations on your win this past weekend, and on your season. All good stuff.

I'll be visiting Ann Arbor this weekend for the RU game, looking to forward checking out the Big House.

Question : Any recommendations on places to park on Friday night, and on Saturday (game day)??

Many thanks in advance.

Hello Wolverine brothers.

First congratulations on your win this past weekend, and on your season. All good stuff.

I'll be visiting Ann Arbor this weekend for the RU game, looking to forward checking out the Big House.

Question : Any recommendations on places to park on Friday night, and on Saturday (game day)??

Many thanks in advance.
By park on Friday night, do you mean you're bringing a camper?

Saturday you'll want to check out either Ann Arbor Pioneer High School or the golf courses just south of the stadium. Either Ann Arbor Golf & Outing or U of M Golf Course. If you have an RV, the high school has an RV lot. Those 3 places house the majority of the tailgating, and are all extremely close to the stadium.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'll be driving in early Friday evening, parking, looking to walk around, eat, etc, then go back to my hotel. I'll come back on Saturday around 10:30 AM to walk around campus, eat, walk to the game,

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'll be driving in early Friday evening, parking, looking to walk around, eat, etc, then go back to my hotel. I'll come back on Saturday around 10:30 AM to walk around campus, eat, walk to the game,
Gotcha. Well, the stadium is about a mile from campus. Walkable, but not right next door or anything. Tailgaiting will be mostly (but not all) on the south side of the stadium (the campus is north). I'd suggest parking downtown Ann Arbor somewhere on Friday night. Plenty to do, eat, drink, etc there, and you're not too far from campus. If you park somewhere near William St, you'd be close enough to campus and downtown to hit both on Friday night, but really anywhere in that area is fine. Tons of dining on Main St and the adjacent streets. I ate at HopCat a few weeks ago, and the food and beer selections were great. Food was delicious.

@goblue31602 any recommendations on bars for Friday night? Is one bar usually the "visitor" bar?

Hubby and I have a tour of Ann Arbor & the campus planned for Friday morning, will be tailgating with friends in the Pioneer lot Saturday before the game.

any game day experiences not to be missed?

thanks!

Another Rutgers fan here making his first trip to Ann Arbor. Travelling with 3 buddies staying at the Wyndham Garden Inn on Jackson Ave about 3 or 4 miles from the stadium.
Looking for advice as to where to go on Friday night. Preferably near campus. Also, is taxi or Uber service readily available? I assume that the downtown area is along South State Street, Any bar/food recommendations?

Also for parking on game day, can you pay as you enter the golf course or high school? Is that Pioneer High School that I see on the map?

@goblue31602 any recommendations on bars for Friday night? Is one bar usually the "visitor" bar?

Hubby and I have a tour of Ann Arbor & the campus planned for Friday morning, will be tailgating with friends in the Pioneer lot Saturday before the game.

thanks!

Make it over near Gate ten of the stadium to see the band March in . It's fun

about what time or how many hours before kick off would that be?
About two hours:
http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/09/im_with_the_band_a_day_with_th.html

11 a.m. — March to Michigan Stadium

The band is led by Matt Cloutier, who currently is in his first year as drum major.

The roughly 20-minute march from Revelli Hall to Michigan Stadium takes a trip down Hoover Avenue to Greene Street and finally into the parking lot.

Once in the shadow of the stadium, the band plays an expedited version of "Victors," which is commonly known as "Parking Lot Victors."

Michigan vs. Rutgers (Military Appreciation Game)
Saturday, Nov. 7 • 3:30 p.m.

rutu-sm.png
promo-us-flags_200.jpg

Military Appreciation Game -- U-M will host the annual Military Appreciation Game to honor, thank and recognize all military and veterans of our armed forces. [ More Information ]

National Anthem -- Lt. Col. Jason Fettig, Conductor and Commander of "The President's Own" United States Marine Band will conduct the Michigan Marching Band in the playing the Star Spangled Banner. Two large American field flags will be held by military veterans and service members during the national anthem.

Halftime -- The Michigan Marching Band's show "For the Red, White and Blue" will be a musical tribute to veterans and current troops of the greatest armed forces in the world.

Reactions: MrsScrew
@St. Joe Blue 3

a lot of great information you are providing, maybe most important the list of what can/cannot be brought into the stadium. I have shared all of this with the Rutgers board. I am very much looking forward to my first visit to the Big House and want to experience as much of the game day atmosphere as I can so I will totally make a point to see the band marching in and everything/anything else I can.

any info on the enforcement of the no alcohol on the public school properties? we planned to meet up with some friends who took their RV

I have been blessed with seats on the 50 yard line in the indoor club seats ( via Jack Roth's brother and sister in law) so at least I'll have good seats while watching Michigan crush Rutgers

that's quite the comprehensive list! thanks.

here's another question:

some of the parking lots say that they are public school property and that no alcohol is allowed. Is that actually enforced? A lot of those "rules" are listed at Rutgers but never enforced
If you're referring to Ann Arbor Pioneer High School, it is absolutely not enforced. One year they had signs up as you pulled in even, but they don't actually enforce it. We used to pour our drinks into Solo cups, but really that isn't even necessary. There is a huge "beer thirty" type event every half hour at Pioneer, where a bunch of Michigan fans get together, sing the fight song, and shotgun a beer. Later in the day you'll have a few hundred+ people attend, and nobody cares. If you hear a fog horn that belongs on a cruise ship, that's what it is for. I don't know of any lots where they don't allow drinking, but I'm basically always in Pioneer or the golf course.

Another Rutgers fan here making his first trip to Ann Arbor. Travelling with 3 buddies staying at the Wyndham Garden Inn on Jackson Ave about 3 or 4 miles from the stadium.
Looking for advice as to where to go on Friday night. Preferably near campus. Also, is taxi or Uber service readily available? I assume that the downtown area is along South State Street, Any bar/food recommendations?

Also for parking on game day, can you pay as you enter the golf course or high school? Is that Pioneer High School that I see on the map?
I always use Yellow Cab when I'm in Ann Arbor. When you call them and tell them where you're at and where you're going, they'll give you a price immediately. I was once warned by one of them that on game days, some people come in and essentially pretend to be a cab company and will absolutely rail you with a price when you arrive at your destination, so know your rates before you hop in a cab. I don't know if that was his way for us to use Yellow Cab, or if it's true. Obviously Uber will give you a fare estimate. We just used that a few weeks ago after the Northwestern game.

As far as where to go, how old are you and what kind of atmosphere are you looking for? Ashley's has an awesome beer selection and a great atmosphere. HopCat is a newer bar/restaurant with a massive beer selection and great food. Scorekeepers, The Arena, Good Time Charleys, and Ricks will be where a ton of the students are. Downtown on/near Main St there are a bunch of breweries to hit up. Blue Tractor, Grizzly Peak, and Arbor Brewing Company are good spots.

You will pay cash as you enter the course or high school. The course closer to the stadium, AAGO (as well as the high school) will be $50. The U of M Golf Course is $40 I believe. Yes, Pioneer is southwest of the stadium, opposite corner from the stadium. Ignore the highlighted house below, but this is a decent aerial shot. The bottom of the pic is Pioneer High School. The right side is the golf course, Ann Arbor Golf & Outing.
320StadiumAerial_2.jpg

thanks!
I didn't get anywhere on the "visitor bar", but I think that would have to be something decided upon by Rutgers fans. I think you'll see a lot of them walking around on Main St and State St if they are in town the night before the game.

Reactions: MrsScrew
So, in summary:

drink anywhere in town (but use the attached eating drinking guide as a start)
Drink anywhere in the parking lots (public school no drinking signs be damned)
no bags allowed inside the stadium (bring a coat with big pockets)
see the band 2 hours before kickoff as they march into the stadium (Go Blue!)
use Yellow Cab (shouldn't this be Maize Cab? :) )
have a great time.

I am taking a tour of Ann Arbor and the campus on Friday morning and am very much looking forward to being in the Big House (not looking forward to having our team slaughtered but that is our theme for the year)

Gentlemen, you have been most helpful!

So, in summary:

drink anywhere in town (but use the attached eating drinking guide as a start)
Drink anywhere in the parking lots (public school no drinking signs be damned)
no bags allowed inside the stadium (bring a coat with big pockets)
see the band 2 hours before kickoff as they march into the stadium (Go Blue!)
use Yellow Cab (shouldn't this be Maize Cab? :) )
have a great time.

I am taking a tour of Ann Arbor and the campus on Friday morning and am very much looking forward to being in the Big House (not looking forward to having our team slaughtered but that is our theme for the year)

Gentlemen, you have been most helpful!
I think you have pretty much nailed it. You'll see the maize if you go to get popcorn in the game, it's called Popped Maize :)

Yellow Cab clearly needs to catch up with the times!

Enjoy yourself, and be sure to follow up after!

I think you have pretty much nailed it. You'll see the maize if you go to get popcorn in the game, it's called Popped Maize :)

Yellow Cab clearly needs to catch up with the times!

Enjoy yourself, and be sure to follow up after!

will do! I'm someone who loves to have a good time at the games so I hope to have a blast. If you see someone in a red feather boa and Rutgers cowboy boots, that's me! Say hello!

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
Guys,

First, I commend and applaud you all for your help, advice & info to the visiting RU fans here. I followed along on this thread and even got some good info that I was unaware of myself. Nice work!

That's the way visiting fans should be treated and welcomed onto any college campus anywhere. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen this way everywhere (see Columbus, E. Landfill, etc).

We all believe that The University of Michigan is the greatest in the land for many reasons & I believe this type of hospitality to our visitors is one of them. The Michigan Experience & The Big House is a destination place and on many visitors' bucket lists.

I was one of 200 or so UM fans who stayed through the rain delay in last year's Utah game & had the opportunity to visit with many Utah fans while we waited out the 2+ hr delay. Everyone I talked to said basically the same thing: "Coming here to The Big House was something I just had to do one day." They were all in pure amazement and impressed with everything we have. I wonder sometimes if some of us don't get a little spoiled & take it for granted what a true gem we have to be able to enjoy every Fall Saturday.

Rutgers Fans: Have a great time, enjoy your trip & enjoy the game!

Go Blue!

@St. Joe Blue 3 , @JRforUM , @goblue31602

Just got home after our 9 hour drive from Ann Arbor and wanted to report back as requested:

aside from the atrocious play calling from our coach, my husband and I and every RU fan that I spoke to had a great time in Ann Arbor. The Michigan fans could not have been nicer. We had random people coming up to us on Friday and Saturday welcoming us to Ann Arbor, welcoming us to The Big House, thanking us for making the trip and staring at us in disbelief when we said we drove.

I was able to make it to Zingermans for lunch on Friday, took a tour of AA and a bit of the campus. Saw the law quad and the "M" (which I will admit I knew nothing about but was almost tackled by our tour guide when I went too close to it for her liking". We went to Schembechler Hall late Friday evening and a UM fan offered to take our photo with the statue and then pointed out that we had parked in the parking spot reserved for your president & AD.

We parked on the golf course and walked over to Pioneer HS where a fellow RU fan was tailgating in his RV. I was VERY impressed with the tailgate scene. I took a lot of photos to bring back to our marketing department so they can start licensing some stuff for RU! I was able to meet John the Mayor of the Pioneer lot (or so he said), had some great french fries from the guys with the french fry cutter on the front of their RV and talked to a bunch of other UM fans that came to our RV or as we were walking around.

Crossing the street from Pioneer to the stadium was like nothing I've ever seen. Everyone patiently waiting until the horn blew and the music started and officer Laura telling everyone they could cross in any direction they wanted. It was like musical chairs...when the music stopped you were stuck where ever you were.

we walked down to the RU tailgate on S. Main and then up to the stadium. Quite deceiving from the outside. it is truly "the Big House" on the inside. We were the only fans in Scarlet in the 4th floor Club Seat section and everyone there treated us as the oddity we were. Asking lots of questions but being very nice. The band is good but if we never hear your fight song again it will be too soon. :) The parachuters were a nice touch as were the tributes to the veterans.. well done. Club seats are pretty sweet.

We walked back to the golf course and were on our way back to our hotel in under 10 minutes which would be a major miracle at RU.

Great experience. Will totally be going back in 2017. Thanks for all your help with the info and your team was clearly the better team so congrats on the win.

If any of you saw the woman with the tiara....that was me !

Last edited:
@St. Joe Blue 3 , @JRforUM , @goblue31602

Just got home after our 9 hour drive from Ann Arbor and wanted to report back as requested:

aside from the atrocious play calling from our coach, my husband and I and every RU fan that I spoke to had a great time in Ann Arbor. The Michigan fans could not have been nicer. We had random people coming up to us on Friday and Saturday welcoming us to Ann Arbor, welcoming us to The Big House, thanking us for making the trip and staring at us in disbelief when we said we drove.

I was able to make it to Zingermans for lunch on Friday, took a tour of AA and a bit of the campus. Saw the law quad and the "M" (which I will admit I knew nothing about but was almost tackled by our tour guide when I went too close to it for her liking". We went to Schembechler Hall late Friday evening and a UM fan offered to take our photo with the statue and then pointed out that we had parked in the parking spot reserved for your president & AD.

We parked on the golf course and walked over to Pioneer HS where a fellow RU fan was tailgating in his RV. I was VERY impressed with the tailgate scene. I took a lot of photos to bring back to our marketing department so they can start licensing some stuff for RU! I was able to meet John the Mayor of the Pioneer lot (or so he said), had some great french fries from the guys with the french fry cutter on the front of their RV and talked to a bunch of other UM fans that came to our RV or as we were walking around.

Crossing the street from Pioneer to the stadium was like nothing I've ever seen. Everyone patiently waiting until the horn blew and the music started and officer Laura telling everyone they could cross in any direction they wanted. It was like musical chairs...when the music stopped you were stuck where ever you were.

we walked down to the RU tailgate on S. Main and then up to the stadium. Quite deceiving from the outside. it is truly "the Big House" on the inside. We were the only fans in Scarlet in the 4th floor Club Seat section and everyone there treated us as the oddity we were. Asking lots of questions but being very nice. The band is good but if we never hear your fight song again it will be too soon. :) The parachuters were a nice touch as were the tributes to the veterans.. well done. Club seats are pretty sweet.

We walked back to the golf course and were on our way back to our hotel in under 10 minutes which would be a major miracle at RU.

Great experience. Will totally be going back in 2017. Thanks for all your help with the info and your team was clearly the better team so congrats on the win.

If any of you saw the woman with the tiara....that was me !
That's awesome, I'm glad you guys had such a good time! Great report, you guys got a lot accomplished in your relatively short trip!

That's awesome, I'm glad you guys had such a good time! Great report, you guys got a lot accomplished in your relatively short trip!

I like to make the most of my trips and I'm a wanderer....which my husband hates. I will just wander around, talking to random people, and popping into places no one would think of. I have a lot of fun with it all, which is why I am the Queen of Rutgers Tailgating and get to wear the tiara!

but really, an awesome time by my group and everyone else I know that went. we were treated well and with respect. so thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT