ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread Sat Oct 18 UNH

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
I will not be in attendance Saturday night due to a prior family commitment. I'll still try to update here occasionally.

This post was edited on 10/18 11:04 AM by Bob Miller

Is "must win" too strong for game three of the season? Bill Trainor posted on Twitter that tonight is a must win, and I have to admit I was thinking the same.

Maybe that's a little too strong, but if you go 0-3 with that trip out East coming up, there's a lot of pressure on them to have a successful road trip. They'd be staring 0-5 in the face and that's a hole that would be tough to climb out of.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Me the wife and the daughter will be there tonight. Can't wait. I was very surprised to see the result from yesterday. I am definitely looking for and expecting a W today. Gotta win. Go Blue!

Wonder if Racine should play. Zach has been below average in all 4 games so far
He's not exactly playing against high powered offenses featuring Parise, Vanek or Kessel

Last season ending with a gag, addition by subtracting players who left, and the team is unprepared to start the season, despite the collection of ntdp and early NHL draft picks.

This team is all about the underclass men. Are the upperclassmen leaders or passive passengers as there is one impact player
In the jr and sr classes. Defensive coverage is leaky.
First line with no goals. First time I left Yost early last night at the end of 2. Must win tonight with four road games next against decent competition. We all know the marginal road results this team has produced lately.

Seems like we will see Racine tonight. Not sure why Zach is struggling, but he does not seem that comfortable in the net right now. The goal that was over his shoulder that he thought was going behind him was really bad.

Certainly, the defense needs to play a lot stronger, but Nagelvoort is right with them....

Agree that he hasn't looked sharp in any game yet. I also thought Adam Clark's contribution to the UNH win last evening was overlooked in all the concern about Michigan's collapse. He absolutely robbed both Tyler Motte and Evan Allen point blank.

No doubt on Clark, he looked like a sr instead of fr. Kile and Larkin also missed on point blank chances

Clark was really great last night- if he's like that again, we are going to have a tough time.

One could think that he kept the team really in it during the first while we controlled the game more.

And to be honest, based on your report, Bob, I didn't expect that at all, since he's the back up. Great way to step into an opportunity. hmm, didn't we play that last year?

Cutler Martin and Michael Downing (m)

Ministers of Defense score twice in the first two minutes of the 2nd.

Originally posted by Bob Miller:
Looking for game reports from all who were there.

Michigan came out and dominated the first ten minutes..controlled play and had it in the offensive zone the whole time. Only problem was they could not hit the net...I was sitting directly behind the UNH net and kept telling my 5 year old you can't score if you dint put it on net. I think after 10 they had 2 maybe 3 shots. The second ten they started to find the net, but primarily hitting Clark in the bread basket. Had some really good chances and UNH was happy to be scoreless after 1.

Michigan scored on a long slapper less tgen a minute in and then again a bit later on a similar shot. UNH also picked up play a bit...lots of turnovers and questionable play by michigans d.

The game got very and surprisingly chippy...the refs kept letting each team maul each other after the goalie froze the puck and it led to a pretty physical 2nd and third. Willows scored a nice shorty on a turnover at center ice.

Lots a penalties to end the 2nd...but UNH had a checking from behind that gave UM a 3 minute pp to begn 3rd.

Not sure if it was strategy or not, but UNH dominated the 3rd...Racine played well and they were probably lucky not to give up the tying goal.

Game ended with a fight in the far corner...not sure who.

Overall much better effort and a gritty victory. They need to find there O and tighten up in the d zone, but a nice win tonight.

Too me at least, boo Nieves was MIA.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The D was significantly better- especially the forwards playing back. But based on what we've seen in the past, not nearly what Red wants to put out there.

With all the shots they tried- it was nice to see two of the go in. But the point that they are hitting the goalie in his chest is right on. Sure, he's big, but the idea is to ever so slightly miss him- not hit him square. Something they can work on.

It was nice to see the bench cheer on the forwards back checking.

Here's something that been bugging me for a few years- at the end of the game, the offense does not seem to try very hard to cycle the puck in their zone- more of a rush in, do one thing, and turn it over. Whereas the D lets the other team move and cycle the puck for quite a while. Not sure why this is the game we are playing....

Copp is close to getting one of those break aways. He had the 5 hole, and barely missed it.

Love this HE-B1G challenge- it's really cool to have UNH come play here. I do hope we get to see them again, sometime soon. Fun!

Huge win tonight, going into the next stretch of games

UML is going to be a tough one, I think BU may not be the vintage BU teams of Parker, and Tech will of course be ready to welcome Michigan into their place. 0-3 vs 1-2 is big, esp in the PWR side of things.

Racine was solid. The O controlled the play for 2+ periods but I would call play at center ice... loose.

One defenseman I was impressed with was Cutler Martin. I think he scored and his D play was solid. I also enjoyed Dexter Dancs although his skating needs to improve. Also enjoyed Dylan Larkin's game

Not getting any points from Copp or Compher... that needs to change fast.

Good effort. Shouldn't have given up the shorty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT