ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW, some insights from 2 coaches, one NFL and one college

phillysam

All-League
Aug 6, 2001
One of my best friends from high school, and to this day, coached football for several years in college and now is a high school coach. His father coached in the NFL for 35 years. He is retired and still watches a lot of football. Once in a while, especially after a frustrating loss, I ping them with some questions.

both of them watched today’s game.

I asked them about having their best plays cataloged. This is what they said,…

Reply 1 (college/HS coach)

Dad would be a better answer than me but short answer is yes-you have a chart w your plays for any down distance. Hash mark etc.

We did a lot of self scout at XXX - looked at what worked at what didn’t and our tendencies. All goes into the game plan. Kid might have checked to that fade for some unknown reason-definitely not the play the should have run

Reply 2 (college)

We always had 5 plays that were “givens”-like 2 pt. plays or “use once” type plays too

Reply 3 (NFL)

Yes every team has a quality control coach on both sides of the ball. They may call them something else now but as example they have all stats for at least 3 games much easier now than pre computers days. A guy up in the box tells you when to go for 2 points or 1 . Also reminds you of favorite plays in specific situations. All week prior to game you compile what you’ve called is specific situations so as not to become too predictable . On offense and defense you know what’s been side QB throws best to. Favorite receiver in long yardage and short yardage situations. Who is deep threat who is go to guy and how can you align on offense to create a miss match. Example Brady always lines a running back outside the WR . He may leave him there or motion him back into backfield but by aligning him wide forces defense to show man or zone . LB goes out to cover RB man corner slides outside on RB zone . Always align to create a mismatch then take advantage of it. Throwing a fade is a poor percentage vs zone and takes longer protection. Unless there is a speed or Size miss match .

Reply 4 (NFL)

In nfl defend personnel groups and final offensive formation. On offense create (by alignment or motion) miss matches

Spread people out by formation count number of defenders in box auto to run if 5 in box pass if 6 etc.

Reply 5 (NFL)

You are correct run it until stopped make their nose bleed . crossers vs man , seams curls vs zone.

Reply 6 (college)

I couldn’t stand Michigan switching qbs and couldn’t believe they didn’t throw more crossing routes-Sparty ran man coverage most of the time and could not cover Michigan WR…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News