ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting From The Field: Recruiting Scoop Inside The Big House

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** We all know five-star defensive tackle Walter Nolen is largely going to base his decision on NIL, but this visit couldn't be going better. Walter, his mother and his two younger brothers are really enjoying their time on campus and have been wowed by the atmosphere at Michigan so far. Kind of an interesting thought, but I think Walter's dad staying at home may not be much of a negative. Walter's mother Yolunda loves U-M and what the program can offer on and off the field. And of course, it's her parents that live in the Detroit-metro. They are staying in the area through the end of the weekend.

*** Walter and his family are spending a lot of time with four-star Michigan defensive back commit Kody Jones and his family. As I've mentioned before, they are childhood friends and have talked about playing with each other at the next level. Jones is here with his mom, dad and brother. Despite some recent attention from other schools, I still feel like Jones is really solid to the Wolverines. This is his third visit in as many months.

*** Yes, Domani Jackson is here. Both of his parents made the trip with him, which is huge. A little secret, Jackson was close to picking Michigan during his self-guided tour last fall, but I was told his mother wanted to see it first. Michigan, of course, was blown out by Wisconsin, had a terrible season and Jackson eventually committed to USC. Jackson's mom told me she's having a great time so far, while his father seemed in awe of The Big House. Remember, Jackson's father is a big Michigan fan.

*** Jackson's parents as well as Deon Johnson were hanging out on the sideline on their own. That's because Domani and five-star Michigan commit Will Johnson were going everywhere together. As II've mentioned on a number of occasions, Will and Domani have a really close friendship, and Will has continued to work hard on him. The third member of their team was elite 2023 quarterback Dante Moore, who told me he's been hanging out with the two top defensive backs all day in Ann Arbor. Domani and Will are sitting together in the front row.

*** The mammoth 300-pounders Deone Walker and Kenneth Grant spent some time together throughout pregame. I still feel good about my picks for Michigan, especially if the Wolverines win. Will and Myles Pollard have also spent some time with Grant on the trip. Pollard was kind of bouncing around from group to group as was Rivals100 Michigan wide receiver pledge Tyler Morris.

*** Rivals100 offensive lineman Josh Conerly looked like he was having the time of his life. Conerly just got to campus around 1 p.m. today, but he and his father crammed in a lot over the course of five hours — facility tours, meetings with the staff, etc. Michigan commit Connor Jones spent some time recruiting Conerly on the sideline. I feel optimistic about my pick and will feel even better with a win.

*** Top edge rusher target Joshua Josephs, four-star wide receiver Dane Key, Rivals100 defensive back Austin Ausberry, key 2022 defensive back target Damani Dent, Notre Dame pledge Amorion Walker and elite 2023 wide receiver Jalen Brown all made it to Ann Arbor with their families and appeared to be having fun.

*** I didn't get much on four-star linebacker Lander Barton. He was the last recruit on the field. Barton and both of his parents were getting toured around by Michigan recruiting assistant Jack Clark.

*** In-state 2023 offensive line targets Amir Herring and Dylan Senda were with each other for much of pregame. I could see both in the class.

*** Two visitors I didn't have on the list that made it in — Michigan commit Micah Pollard and three-star 2022 in-state offensive lineman Jackson Pruitt, who does not have an offer but is on the radar.

*** Random note: Co-founder of Sound Mind Sound Body and former MSU staffer Curtis Blackwell was on the field for pregame.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News