ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Five Takeaways From Rivals Midwest Camp

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
1. The weather was absolutely terrible at today's event. There were thunderstorms in the morning and heavy showers throughout the day. I woke up at 4 a.m., drove to Indy and just got back to Chicago. My socks are still wet, and I feel like I'm going to die. Elite 2023 Detroit (Mich.) King quarterback Dante Moore has me beat, though. He woke up at 3 a.m. and crammed into a van full of teammates for the camp. And he didn't disappoint. Moore threw some beautiful deep balls in terrible conditions. His ball placement and touch is some of the best I've seen from a quarterback his age. He also has flawless mechanics and great footwork. I really do think Moore will finish as a five-star next cycle. He also has 'it' from a personality standpoint. I love this kid. Moore was named co-QB MVP and earned an invitation the Rivals five-star challenge this summer. By the way, Moore weighed 150 as a freshman and came in at 199 today. He's really bulked up.

2. Four-star West Bloomfield (Mich.) High defensive back Dillon Tatum had a really strong day at the event as well, earning DB MVP honors. This was my third time seeing Tatum live this offseason and about 13th overall. I feel comfortable giving Tatum a current grade of a 5.8 borderline Top 250 prospect. He has a ton of versatility and can basically play anywhere in the secondary. Michigan is recruiting him as a nickel/safety, but he also has a chance to play corner. We always talk about Tatum as a Swiss Army knife, but the thing I love most about him is his upside. Remember, Tatum was originally recruited to play running back. He's only been focusing on defensive back work for about eight months. Overall, Tatum showed great speed, physicality and ball skills at the camp.

3. I'm so happy for Deone Walker, man. I was a little harsh on him at the UA Camp in Ohio last summer. I thought he was a big body with potential but not a Michigan level recruit. No prospect has improved more over the last year than Walker. I've seen the four-star Detroit (Mich.) Cass Tech defensive tackle put in the work to get better and every time I see him live, he's taken another step in his game. By the time Walker is a junior in college, I believe he'll be an All-American level player. He's progressed so quickly and still has so much room to grow. Walker won the majority of his 1-on-1's with his sheer size and strength, but he's developed some pretty nice pass rushing moves and is getting better at using his hands.

4. Obviously, all eyes are on Dante Moore in the 2023 class. But Michigan fans should also get excited about four-star West Bloomfield (Mich.) High offensive lineman Amir Herring. He's the next best in-state prospect after Moore for next cycle, and the Wolverines have the inside track in his recruitment. Herring was a force along the West Bloomfield line as a sophomore and was one of the best prospects in the trenches at today's camp. Herring can continue getting bigger and stronger, but he's quick and technically advanced for his age. I see him as more of a guard or even center at the next level. He has a super high floor. I have him graded as a Top 100-150 player early on.

5. Aside from Moore and Herring, it's pretty much a down year for recruiting in the state of Michigan in 2023. I'm really interested to see who rises this summer/fall. I don't have any other in-state recruits rated as Top 150 prospects. The next best after Moore and Herring may be Detroit (Mich.) Cass Tech defensive lineman Jalen Thompson. I think he has a chance to be there, but I would like to see more of him. I'm a fan of Detroit (Mich.) King offensive lineman Jonathan Slack. He brings a similar game to Herring but is less refined. I'm interested to see how he develops. There are some intriguing skill guys like King's Jameel Croft and Roseville (Mich.) High's Amare Snowden, but nobody that's really established themselves as big dogs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News