ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting EJ's 10 Thoughts: Beefing Up The Recruiting Department

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
1. Recruiting Department Changes

When I first moved over to this beat, I was appalled by the lack of emphasis on the recruiting department. Coming over from the Texas beat and spending a brief stint on the Notre Dame beat, I couldn't believe that a program like Michigan had such a small operation for a recruiting department. I wrote that on a handful of occasions. Some on The Fort expressed concern. Others brushed it off as something that didn't matter as much. Fast forward to today and Michigan is on its way to building a recruiting department that closely resembles its fellow blue bloods, including chief rival Ohio State. Yes, winning games on the field should be at the top of the priority list, but Michigan's recruiting department needed a drastic overhaul. Kudos to Jim Harbaugh for making it happen this offseason.

2. Recruiting Department Changes Pt. 2

Again, even though I'm a recruiting only reporter, I understand that on the field results come first. The pressure is on for Harbaugh to win now, but as he said, he's betting on himself. By making these changes, it's clear Harbaugh sees himself being at Michigan long-term. After all, the benefits of making all these changes won't really be seen until next cycle. We'll get to having patience in a bit. What's important now is that changes were made. Over the last several months, we've seen Michigan oust an overseer type in Matty Dudek and replace him with Aashon Larkins, an active recruiter in the Southeast. Courtney Morgan has joined the staff and has hit the ground running. Having a duo like this — a Director of Recruiting and Director of Player Personnel — follows the Urban Meyer model that Ohio State uses and in turn Tom Herman used during my time on the Texas beat. It produces better results than just having a guy that's at his best when scheduling calls, visits, etc.

3. Recruiting Department Changes Pt. 3

Recruiting is a relationship driven business. Larkins and Morgan are both relationship builders. Everybody I've talked to from California to Washington to Texas has respect for Morgan. He's going to be the one on the calls with coaches, parents and recruits themselves. He's an ex-Wolverine that can sell himself and relate to recruits on a personal level. The fact that he left California and played at Michigan should appeal to many top targets out West. Fellow Michigan assistant Ron Bellamy, a Louisiana native, has a similar story and is using it to woo southerners like five-star Walter Nolen. Morgan was an A-plus hire. Larkins is well liked throughout the Southeast. While there has been a little more mixed reviews than with Morgan, the majority of sources I've talked to have praised Larkins for being relatable. In his role, Larkins will do a lot of what Morgan does with more of an emphasis on the Southeast and also manage day-to-day operations.

4. Recruiting Department Changes Pt. 4

Michigan also added some much-needed positions to its expanded recruiting department. Bringing in Christina DeRuyter as the Director of On-Campus Recruiting and Operations was necessary when you have two relationship builders leading the charge. A lot of Dudek's old responsibilities will fall on DeRuyter. That means tasks like coordinating what recruits do an official visits, finding the right official visit hosts, keeping kids and their parents informed on the academic side, making sure all paperwork is in and avoiding another Xavier Worthy paperwork snafu, etc. DeRuyter comes over from Vanderbilt, which plays in a big boy football conference and also has high academics. Her experience there should serve her well at Michigan, where academics are still a factor in recruiting.

5. Recruiting Department Changes Pt. 5

As college football continues to evolve, the need for a position like Director of Football Branding & Strategic Communications is imperative. Players are on the verge of getting paid and more and more recruits are factoring in brand building into their decisions. I hate to keep bringing up Worthy, but Michigan had a logo made for him last cycle. Rayshaun Benny listed brand as one of his most important factors. Walter Nolen has stated that he would like to wear the number zero at the school of his choice to better market himself. It appears that Michigan will add Sydney Sims in this role. A former Notre Dame staffer, Sims will play a crucial role in making sure recruits feel like they have the best chance to build up their personal brand at Michigan. U-M won't be handing out McDonald's bags any time soon, but getting a person like Sims to hone in on the evolution of this part of recruiting will be key for the Wolverines moving forward.

6. Analysts

Michigan is also utilizing its analysts on the recruiting trail. As I mentioned earlier today, Ryan Osborn has taken complete command of recruiting edge rushers. Honestly, Rivals should give him a primary recruiter tag. Getting defensive line coach Shaun Nua some help was a priority this offseason. Morgan will help him with area recruiting out West, and Osborn's presence allows him to focus solely on recruiting defensive tackles and coaching. Michigan will need to fight to keep Osborn after this season, though. He'll likely be a hot commodity. Michigan moved Sherrone Moore over to the offensive line this offseason. While he doesn't need much help as a recruiter, Kyle DeVan was a nice add to the staff. DeVan has been helping out West and is well liked across the board. Guys like Steve Casula and Joe Stabb are also helping in several key recruitments.

7. Patience

A lot of you guys have noticed the changes made by Michigan in terms of its recruiting approach. However, a lot of you are also disappointed in the results. That's understandable. Michigan recruiting has been a little underwhelming this cycle outside of landing Will Johnson. Of course, Tyler Morris was a big land as well, but the joy of that pledge was overshadowed a bit by injury. Overall, it's important to have perspective. There have been so many changes this offseason — not just in the recruiting department but on the actual staff. I mean, if you're a safety recruit, you're on your fourth coach, and we haven't even hit the summer. Michigan is also coming off a terrible year on the field and despite the extension, there are still question marks about Harbaugh's status. Think of this recruiting cycle as more of a transition class. While Harbaugh is still the man in charge, the amount of changes has made it seem like a move to a new staff entirely.

8. But I Want Results!!!!

Yes, I get it. You're a Michigan fan and you want results now. This is the winngest program of all-time. Expectations should be to compete with and beat Ohio State. The winged helmets mean everything. Again, I get all that. But Michigan isn't there right now. A lot of what happens with recruiting is going to depend on what happens on the field this fall. If Michigan shows some semblance of its former self, the changes on the recruiting side of things will start to pay off. And if recruiting gets rolling, well, the winning part gets easier. In my 10 years covering recruiting, I've only had one other year like this — the last year of Charlie Strong at Texas, which was a total train wreck. However, Strong was stuck in his ways, while Harbaugh has taken the initiative to make changes as pressure is at an all-time high.

9. Texas

As some of you guys may have noticed, I spent some time back home in Dallas. While Mo Linguist is no longer on the Michigan staff, I'm told the Wolverines are not going to abandon the Lone Star State. Morgan has connections there, and U-M feels like it can pluck a few from Texas every cycle. Over the last two weeks, Michigan has sent out a handful of offers in Texas. The Wolverines also have official visits lined up with three-star edge rusher Joseph Adedire and three-star running back Dillon Bell. Rivals250 linebacker Ish Harris and rising athlete Che Nwabuko are close to locking in officials as well. Michigan also scheduled a visit for rising 2023 edge rusher Trey Wilson. Texas produces so much talent that the Wolverines can find some gems and land top tier guys like Ohio State once it fixes things on the field.

10. Colorado

I flew straight from Dallas to Denver to see Michigan offensive line commit Connor Jones. I wrote a lot about Jones last week and gave my full thoughts, and I'll have even more on him this week. I've been more away from the site than usual because I also used my trip to Denver as a bit of a vacation. My wife actually came with me, and we spent three days there after I saw Jones. We drove down to Colorado Springs and explored caves and shopped around Manitou Springs, which is a cool little town. We also did some hiking at Garden of the Gods, which I highly recommend. We also drove up to Boulder and finally, Fort Collins to do some free climbing. It was a blast, but as soon as we got back, I had to move into our new apartment. We're about 95 percent done. Tomorrow, I'll get the final items before getting my second vaccine dose. Starting Tuesday, I should be fully back on the site.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News