ADVERTISEMENT

Deflategate is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in sports....

No, I am not equivalizing what they are accused of. But I do think there is some truth to this analogy: The Wells Report is to Tom Brady Fans as the Freeh Report is to JoeBots.

The Wells Report is not "absolute proof", and neither is it "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" --- but the conclusions do read to me as valid.

I don't know, I've always looked at Brady with an askance eye. Leaving your pregnant girlfriend for some other woman (who appears to run Brady's life, down to dressing him and picking his hairstyle), and then the whole SpyGate thing shortly thereafter --- not exactly cool.

It's much ado about absolutely nothing. I had a rough time writing a 60 page thesis and they wrote 243 pages on some footballs possibly being deflated? Ridiculous. The NFL is as much of a bureaucracy as the federal government.

don't the refs touch the ball after every play? It's not like flag football as a kid where the runner put down the ball. If the refs can't distinguish what's the big deal?

don't the refs touch the ball after every play? It's not like flag football as a kid where the runner put down the ball. If the refs can't distinguish what's the big deal?

It's beyond dumb. Why would the NFL have a rule about how much air is in a ball anyway? Shouldn't they want QBs to be able to grip and throw the ball well? 243 pages about a few footballs being 1 psi below the limit? Asinine.

It has been explained that a slightly under-inflated ball is easier to throw.

It has never been explained how an under-inflated ball benefits one QB, but not the other.

Some men are bigger than others (regarding their hands)

Thanks Joe. :rolleyes:

Does an under-inflated ball help a bigger hand or a smaller hand? For Brady to purposely deflate the ball, wouldn't he have to know what size hand his opponent had, and whether he had an advantage either way?

Btw, the NFL also found that 3 out of the 4 Colts' balls tested were underinflated. Why hasn't the media mentioned that? This is the most ridiculous "controversy" I've ever seen in sports.
He is still top 3 of all time but he cheated ...does not in any way hurt his accomplishments in my opinion...but he would not of hid what he was doing and neither would have the ball boys... if what they did was ok in their own minds...in my eyes he is a Hall OF Famer...but lets be real ...he cheated and whats crazy he did not need to do this...Tell the truth and move on

Last edited:
Reactions: conanofcrunk
He is still top 3 of all time but he cheated ...does not in any way hurt his accomplishments in my opinion...but he would not of hid what he was doing and neither would have the ball boys... if what they did was ok in their own minds...in my eyes he is a Hall OF Famer...but lets be real ...he cheated and whats crazy he did not need to do this...Tell the truth and move on

I don't understand all of the sanctimonious "he cheated" comments I'm hearing. This is a total fabricated non-story which has been completely media driven. It's unbelievable to me that it was ever an issue and that it was discussed for 1 minute let alone 4 months.

That non story it looks like will make Tom sit around 8 games...we all love TB...but if this was any other qb we would be saying it was wrong...he tried to gain an advantage and if not wrong he would not be dodging the issue...like I said ...does not take away from his great play...but he crossed the line and broke a rule.Pretty clear to most...BigHouse if you can not see that TB is guilty then you are the type person that was on the O.J.jury

Last edited:
That non story it looks like will make Tom sit around 8 games...we all love TB...but if this was any other qb we would be saying it was wrong...he tried to gain an advantage and if not wrong he would not be dodging the issue...like I said ...does not take away from his great play...but he crossed the line and broke a rule.Pretty clear to most...BigHouse if you can not see that TB is guilty then you are the type person that was on the O.J.jury

My feelings about this have nothing to do with Tom Brady being involved. The entire thing is stupid and has been completely overblown. An 8 game suspension is an absolute joke.

Reactions: Nick Samulus
The fact that this is still something being picked apart by ESPN and sports media Is ridiculous, regardless if youre a UM fan or not. Anyone should be able to look at this and just say, "hey, let it go guys."

I agree, I can't believe how much this is being talked about. If the NFL has this rule, why aren't they enforcing it during the games?

And no one complains when Aaron Rodgers admitted to preferring over inflated balls, beyond the accepted range.
Media driven and targeting a winning organization.
I bet the raiders cheat in some fashion every game, but no one cares because they're still terrible.

And no one complains when Aaron Rodgers admitted to preferring over inflated balls, beyond the accepted range.
Media driven and targeting a winning organization.
I bet the raiders cheat in some fashion every game, but no one cares because they're still terrible.

The penalties handed down by the NFL are akin to the arbitrary punishments levied by the NCAA. This entire thing has been so inflated by the media and the morality police that it's sickening. Completely disagree with everything the league has done in the aftermath of this nonissue

Reactions: PSUPride1
I heard it was only for 4 games. Did I miss something? I'm just confused as to why he didn't admit it when it was discovered. All that would have happened is a slap on the wrist. From what ESPN is saying this morning is that punishment is also for the cavalier attitude attitude he had towards the NFL's inspector and the league itself.

I heard it was only for 4 games. Did I miss something? I'm just confused as to why he didn't admit it when it was discovered. All that would have happened is a slap on the wrist. From what ESPN is saying this morning is that punishment is also for the cavalier attitude attitude he had towards the NFL's inspector and the league itself.
So, the penalty is directly connected by how much respect was given to the inspector? That seems twisted as hell.

4 games, a 1st Round pick, a 4th Round pick, and $1 million is excessive. The NFL has no proof that Brady knowingly had balls deflated, and even if he did instruct ball boys to deflate balls, the punishment far exceeds the crime. If anything, Brady should have been fined $100,000, but I find even that to be excessive. All the NFL is doing is pandering to public opinion with this punishment.

It has been explained that a slightly under-inflated ball is easier to throw.

It has never been explained how an under-inflated ball benefits one QB, but not the other.

Maybe I can help explain it: Teams do not share balls. Only Michigan fraternities do.

The NFL sucks and has a double standard for everything. Tom Brady plays with a slightly deflated football and the Patriots some how because of a lack of proper air pressure, win the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, other players can beat the shit out of their wives and girlfriends and all is forgiven and the media decides to hammer Brady. They hate him because he is a WINNER and lives a clean life with a great looking wife. That makes him dull because he has kids he takes care of and shows respect for those around him. I wonder if Brady snuck over to Seattle's sideline, deflated the game ball, and then tricked Pete into calling a quick slant from the 1 yard line. Damn you Tom Brady!!!!!!!!!!

Lol....does anyone ITT understand what a deflated ball can do for inept skill position players? The Pats shattered the fumble records over the past couple seasons. They had players with fumblitis and butter fingers somehow have career years even though it plagued them their whole lives, even in college(ie. LaFell, Blount, Vereen). Not only did the Pats shatter the fumble record, they re broke their own record on numerous occasions. Add in the cheating history of the past and you receive serious consequences. Although, I do believe that Brady's suspension will get reduced to 2 games. But it's obvious that this has been going on for more than one game. Pointing to Brady's stats during the playoffs adds absolutely no value to this topic and is basically meaningless. You ALL have to look away from the playoffs/championship and at the grand scheme of the last few seasons. He's still a top 5 all time QB. Although to some, his reputation may be slightly tarnished.

Lol....does anyone ITT understand what a deflated ball can do for inept skill position players? The Pats shattered the fumble records over the past couple seasons. They had players with fumblitis and butter fingers somehow have career years even though it plagued them their whole lives, even in college(ie. LaFell, Blount, Vereen). Not only did the Pats shatter the fumble record, they re broke their own record on numerous occasions. Add in the cheating history of the past and you receive serious consequences. Although, I do believe that Brady's suspension will get reduced to 2 games. But it's obvious that this has been going on for more than one game. Pointing to Brady's stats during the playoffs adds absolutely no value to this topic and is basically meaningless. You ALL have to look away from the playoffs/championship and at the grand scheme of the last few seasons. He's still a top 5 all time QB. Although to some, his reputation may be slightly tarnished.

Dumbest and most overblown controversy in the history of sports. It's hard for me to believe that people like you buy into it.

Dumbest and most overblown controversy in the history of sports. It's hard for me to believe that people like you buy into it.
Are you kidding? You think for one minute a sparty fan would be as outraged if Brady played at Clemson for his college career? Or, if instead of Brady we were talking about Cousins? Hell, Brady could have short changed a car dealership by a penny and he would call for his head.

Hey Sparty,

Here is the problem. No matter how much tampering the football had to do with the success of the Patriots/Brady....the bottom line is a rule/penalty exists for this violation.

It's a 25,000 fine not limited or including other penalties (paraphrasing). So the penalty is considered minor. The NFL was trying to appease the media and anti-Pat/Brady mob. That is the truth.

Overkill and now the NFL has the Pats fighting back...and rightfully so.

How do we know people are taking this violation too far....just reference ball tampering by the Vikes and Chargers.

Could care less what your philosophy is on how a deflated football suddenly gives a PRO football player and advantage. The reasons the Patriots are so good is that Kraft gave the head coach full control of the team itself many years ago and he is the best in the business period!!!! The supposed deflated footballs are not the point I am making in my previous post. As an organization, the NFL and their moral double standards sucks plain and simple. If they were so concerned then why did they allow them to play in the Super Bowl? If it is that big of a deal, they could have easily wrapped up their BS investigation in 24 hours. Instead, for financial reasons, they chose to overlook it so the Seahawks could possibly repeat by beating Tom Brady. When the Pats won, they chose to look further into deflated balls which helped the Pats beat the Colts. I must also ask where in the hell were the officials? Do they not inspect the balls prior and during the course of a game? Nevertheless, the NFL looks the other way when it comes to much serious issues than a couple deflated balls. They are in it for the buck period!!!!!!

Here is what I believe happened.

The NFL gets tipped off. The NFL investigators were supposedly telling employees of the Pats they were in trouble on the sidelines after halftime. The NFL leaks the info prematurely to their ESPN partners. The story has all sorts of issues but the media doesn't particularly care. It's good business The fans love to hate the cheating Pats. So ESPN/media love this narrative.

The NFL feels the media/fan pressure but wants to do a thorough investigation. The investigation isn't definitive but this story has percolated for so long (time/money) that the NFL feels compelled to do something more than the standard penalty since the Pats/Brady aren't standard by any means.

The NFL boxed themselves into a corner. ESPN (tail) wagging the NFL (dog). The NFL tried to overcompensate for the past mistakes (Rice) and thought going too harsh was better than too soft.

This was political and the issue was forced by ESPN/media. The NFL tried to appease the media/fan mob and has a big mess on their hands because not only did they overshoot the penalty based on precedent but the report has more holes in it than a slice of swiss cheese.

This is going to be another black eye for the NFL but in this case rather than incompetence (Rice) it will go down as political/PR. The NFL made an enormous miscalculation. The NFL needs new leadership.

Are you kidding? You think for one minute a sparty fan would be as outraged if Brady played at Clemson for his college career? Or, if instead of Brady we were talking about Cousins? Hell, Brady could have short changed a car dealership by a penny and he would call for his head.
Idc what college Brady played for. He is now 100X the QB that anyone expected him to be out of college. I'm not your typical MSU fan, I actually root for UofM in most games. But this has nothing to do about college football. The integrity of the game is what matters most. The Pats have built their legacy with scandals. The scandals have helped the Pats shatter records on multiple occasions. They don't care that they break the rules to win games. Is this what you want the NFL to continue to evolve into? Allowing cheaters, especially those with a prior history, to slide by without consequences is definately the correct call, right? This would honestly set the league further back than they already are. The Pats legacy is what it is. They won a bunch of championships while breaking rules over a span of multiple seasons. Not sure why the UofM guys are acting like this is a non story....maybe it's because of Brady's affiliation to your university or the fact that this scandal hurts his reputation to some degree(he will still be a top 5 all time QB to me) ...Idk but I agree with the NFL that the Pats should face serious consequences. HOWEVER, Brady should probably only receive a 2 game suspension and the organization should take the bulk of the punishment in the form of draft picks, $, etc.

Last edited:
J
Hey Sparty,

Here is the problem. No matter how much tampering the football had to do with the success of the Patriots/Brady....the bottom line is a rule/penalty exists for this violation.

It's a 25,000 fine not limited or including other penalties (paraphrasing). So the penalty is considered minor. The NFL was trying to appease the media and anti-Pat/Brady mob. That is the truth.

Overkill and now the NFL has the Pats fighting back...and rightfully so.

How do we know people are taking this violation too far....just reference ball tampering by the Vikes and Chargers.
I completely understand your point but you are inferring to penalties that are brought down for first offenders. That minimal punishment seems to be for a team that is caught ball tampering for one game. The Pats history and broken records makes one assume that the ball tampering has been going on for more than one game, and likely more than one season. The penalties brought down on the Pats will be more severe than it would be for the rest of the league, and rightfully so.

J

I completely understand your point but you are inferring to penalties that are brought down for first offenders. That minimal punishment seems to be for a team that is caught ball tampering for one game. The Pats history and broken records makes one assume that the ball tampering has been going on for more than one game, and likely more than one season. The penalties brought down on the Pats will be more severe than it would be for the rest of the league, and rightfully so.

Do you drastically overreact to everything in your life or just this? The Patriots did not win their championships because they cheated. They won because they run a better organization than anybody else. Do you think jay walking should be punishible by death? The overreaction to this is unbelievable to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT