ADVERTISEMENT

Crisler center and our fans are the Rutgers football of

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
big ten basketball. Embarrassing fan support/turnout tonight. Until administration and fans take this sport as seriously as they take women's softball this program will continue to be almost dormant.

It's an embarrassment to our athletic program and it starts at the top with the AD and his people.

I wouldn't go that far but it's clear as day that this program is floundering on many different levels or as I like to say in a transition period. Somethings needs to change and I believe that change is coming. Maybe not imminent but it's coming.

I'll bet you JB knows his time is running out. He is a very smart guy and can see the writing on the wall....fan support and an A.D. who is used to a successful basketball program. If Martin was the A.D. then JB would have more time but I do believe Manuel will pull the plug either after next year or in two years irrespective of how nice a guy JB is unless this program starts trending upwards.

The good news for JB is Teske looks like a player. He is a big strong kid who looks like a pretty good athlete...not just an uncoordinated tall guy. He also has some talent coming in including Matthews who will be a 3rd year guy essentially to replace Irvin. So the cupboard isn't bare but JB better develop the bigs and fade from the JB small ball blueprint to have a chance.

The end of the story isn't written but we seem to be in the final chapters.

RM

I wouldn't go that far but it's clear as day that this program is floundering on many different levels or as I like to say in a transition period. Somethings needs to change and I believe that change is coming. Maybe not imminent but it's coming.

I'll bet you JB knows his time is running out. He is a very smart guy and can see the writing on the wall....fan support and an A.D. who is used to a successful basketball program. If Martin was the A.D. then JB would have more time but I do believe Manuel will pull the plug either after next year or in two years irrespective of how nice a guy JB is unless this program starts trending upwards.

RM

Do you think there's any chance JB is gone after this season if they have a down year? I doubt they are a lock for the tournament right now.

Remember there were some people saying Hoke was going to get two years after the KSU loss and only got 1 more.

I think JB will get another 1 year...maybe 2 depending on what happens going forward. Here is the reason at least 1 more year and maybe 2.

1. JB has put together a new staff and making significant changes.
2. Matthews may make a difference. We will see.
3. UM is getting bigger..a traditional Big Ten low post size team (Teske, Davis, Wagner?) plus Wilson as a rebounder who can develop.
4. JB deserves the benefit of the doubt and the goodwill to be given a chance to turn it around. Not a blank check but a little leeway.
5. Here is something that really isn't discussed. JB is struggling because his two biggest recruits of the past 4 years basically busted. Chatman and Irvin who isn't nearly as good as we anticipated. Not saying there weren't other misses but if ONE of those guys is as good as their rankings then things would be better.

Really. Let's just assume Irvin was more consistent. UM would be better. Would have beaten Va Tech. Not saying UM would be some top 10 team but the fact that Chatman is gone/busted and Irvin is basically some at best honorable mention BT player has created a poorly functioning JB system.

Don't believe me? Trade Irvin for Stauskas. Think UM would be better? Put Stauskas with MAAR and Wilson. That trio would work. It would. Trade Irvin for THJ...it works. You think Wagner and Wilson on a team with Burke and THJ wouldn't win?

As JB said...when Irvin plays well the teams plays well. That is how this team is constructed right now and why JB needs to transition (yesterday) to the low post guys and phase Irvin to a lesser scoring role.

I think Irvin is doing some really nice things and this isn't personal but less of Irvin on this team is MORE.

RM

Standing in crisler five minutes before tip and embarrassing is t the word. I don't care if they're playing pioneer high school. Until the a dept treats this sport from top to bottom the way they should, we are the Rutgers and Purdue football of big ten basketball.

Goes back to Bo's ridiculous comment about Rick Pitino but it's way deeper than that. Way deeper. And it's an embarrassment not only as UM fans but for the big ten that a university like ours has a program like this.

So Quinn's article today didn't even scratch the surface of what's wrong with the program and crisler attendance. Glad it was written. All true but he could have written so much more.

The good news for JB is Teske looks like a player. He is a big strong kid who looks like a pretty good athlete...not just an uncoordinated tall guy. He also has some talent coming in including Matthews who will be a 3rd year guy essentially to replace Irvin. So the cupboard isn't bare but JB better develop the bigs and fade from the JB small ball blueprint to have a chance.

The end of the story isn't written but we seem to be in the final chapters.

RM
I think JB in general is not the problem. He is a great coach. Not good, great. However given the historical state of UMs basketball program support, and unless that changes, UM might need a really big name and/or an incredibly fiery, maybe young coach, maybe a combination of the three (big name, young, fiery). That person may or may not be out there.

Regardless, IF our A.Dept, students, fans, etc. took basketball and the program more seriously, a guy like JB, enthusiasm for the program, attendance and all those great things that come with it would occur more frequently rather than just when the team is on obvious runs to potential Big Ten Titles like in 2012, 13 and 14.

This is more than about a coach. Michigan hoops is stuck in a chicken and egg cycle that is not going to be easy to get out of unless the A.Dept makes some big, tough, bold choices.

My #1 of many moves would be this. Because all enthusiasm in college sports starts with the students, I would duplicate the bleachers on the opposite side of the current student bleachers, keep those seats next to the band, and stop selling student tickets in the upper level altogether.

From a marketing standpoint and the standpoint of showing the students they matter to the program, his, IMO, is an obvious first move and can't be done soon enough.

I think JB in general is not the problem. He is a great coach. Not good, great. However given the historical state of UMs basketball program support, and unless that changes, UM might need a really big name and/or an incredibly fiery, maybe young coach, maybe a combination of the three (big name, young, fiery). That person may or may not be out there.

Regardless, IF our A.Dept, students, fans, etc. took basketball and the program more seriously, a guy like JB, enthusiasm for the program, attendance and all those great things that come with it would occur more frequently rather than just when the team is on obvious runs to potential Big Ten Titles like in 2012, 13 and 14.

This is more than about a coach. Michigan hoops is stuck in a chicken and egg cycle that is not going to be easy to get out of unless the A.Dept makes some big, tough, bold choices.

My #1 of many moves would be this. Because all enthusiasm in college sports starts with the students, I would duplicate the bleachers on the opposite side of the current student bleachers, keep those seats next to the band, and stop selling student tickets in the upper level altogether.

From a marketing standpoint and the standpoint of showing the students they matter to the program, his, IMO, is an obvious first move and can't be done soon enough.

The students don't show in enough numbers to always fill their alloted lower sections. That would be damn embarrassing to give them the other side of floor seats...and have them be 2/3 empty.

big ten basketball. Embarrassing fan support/turnout tonight. Until administration and fans take this sport as seriously as they take women's softball this program will continue to be almost dormant.

It's an embarrassment to our athletic program and it starts at the top with the AD and his people.

Are you for real? The opponent had one win and 8 losses going into the evening. The game started at nine o'clock on a Tuesday night. Many people have jobs to go to the next day and many of those around me drive one or two hours to the games. When we have meaningful games at a more appropriate time the fans will be there. Last night the fan support was in proportion to the student support. Just as an aside, I will be there for the Furman game, will you?

You could see this coming as soon as they did the renovations and changed the seating. They screwed over a lot of fans (myself included) when they restructured the seating. They gave people who were willing to donate money ahead of fans who had been loyal to the program through the Elerbe and Amaker years. Instead of the lower bowl being filled with fans who attend the games regularly they are owned by people who use the seats for business or whatever and don't show up for these games.

My family has had season tickets at Crisler since it opened. Before the reseating we had 4 tickets in the 6th row. Even with two UM degrees the best seats we could get are the 34th row in the corner. If we would have donated the same amount of $ that we had spent on tickets over the years we could have been in the first 5 rows. So essentially we were punished for spending the $ to attend games instead of just giving the money to the school. I know because of this a lot of people who had been sitting around us for 15+ years didn't get tickets anymore. The university decided to trade loyal fans for donations and are now paying the price with attendance at the games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT