ADVERTISEMENT

Copp Signs with Winnepeg

article says he's going straight to Winnipeg. That had to be the thing that pushed it over the top. He burns a year off his entry contract and gets NHL time right away. smart move on the Jets part, I guess. JT Compher, your captain ladies and gentlemen...

It can be a long summer in Michigan, let's hope Compher makes it through. We may not hear from Larkin and Werenski until July when their NHL teams have their summer development camps.

If Compher returns and is the Captain, who else is part of the leadership on this team? Not sure of the depth for this role here.
Sr - Selman
Jr - Downing, Motte
Soph - Larkin

I'm a sabres fan and I don't see Tim Murray taking JT anytime soon. I figure Downing will get a letter and just a guess here but Selman took a step forward so maybe he does?

Too bad he left. Wish him the best of luck. Let's hope we don't loose anyone else.

Call me surprised. Winnipeg mgmt kudos...play Copp a few token NHL games and ship him to AHL for next year. Sure hope it's worth it. Wish him luck.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by alnike:

It can be a long summer in Michigan, let's hope Compher makes it through. We may not hear from Larkin and Werenski until July when their NHL teams have their summer development camps.

If Compher returns and is the Captain, who else is part of the leadership on this team? Not sure of the depth for this role here.
Sr - Selman
Jr - Downing, Motte
Soph - Larkin
Don't forget that Werenski still needs to be drafted.

Based on what Spath posted about Copp- it does seem more reasonable that Compher has less reason to leave until next year- when the Sabers see the same thing the Jets did- one year more may lead to losing him.

Larkin- what we have going for us is that he's with the Wings- who are one of the least likely teams to sign early- especially that early.

The question of who wears the A's is a very good one, though. I almost want to give one to Werenski, but an only worried about his actual defensive coverage. It got a lot better. It would be nice to have some leaders on the blue line, even without a letter on their sweater.

I agree that is probably the path he is on. Will get to play a hand full of games for Winnipeg this year and next year be in the AHL.

Compher is your captain.

Possible alternates: Justin Selman, Tyler Motte, Michael Downing, Boo Nieves, Dylan Larkin, Zach Werenski and Alex Kile.

If I had to put money on it, I'd say Selman and Larkin (if he returns).
Originally posted by alnike:

Sr - Selman
Jr - Downing, Motte
Soph - Larkin

Mike: The Canisius goalie you mention in the goalie article will be 25 this summer. Seriously?

Just sleep in the bed they have made. Team is only as good as its weakest link.

Does this goalie, if he comes in, take Copp's scholarship, or do we have his to use on another late prospect?

In the Copp update thread, I asked if having Trouba on the Jets mattered or not, and here's what was in an mgoblue article about that:

Winnipeg defenseman Jacob Trouba, his former Michigan and youth league teammate, also played into Copp's thinking.

"We played together when we were 10 or 11 for Compuware," said Copp, "and played together until he left after my freshman year at Michigan. It's really good to have him there in terms of comfort, and he's one of my closest friends."

So it did end up mattering.

Some interesting notes from that article

- Copp asked Red to wear #9, and Red let him, thinking it would be 2 years of that. I wonder if Red will be more witholding of that number, now.

- He expects to play this year. With the Jets in the hunt for one of the last playoff spots- if he does play, it will show a major sign of confidence. If he doesn't... well....

- He still plans on graduating, and was Academic All-Big Ten. Not solid plans how, but should.

Anyway, this will be my last post about Andrew. Good luck! But as a fan, I need to move on, too.

(on a side note- this kind of stuff makes it hard to invest any emotional time on individual players- you are happy for them, but when they walk away from a really good situation, it sucks as a fan. More and more, I find myself enjoying the game more than the players- if that makes any sense)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT