ADVERTISEMENT

Cheese-Its or Cheese Nips?

This IS Dantonios best shot at a NC for a few years IMHO. Next year the Spartans lose a top QB and WRs, 2 top OLs and 2-3 huge DLs. There are a number of guys ready to step up but they won't replace what we're losing right away. I won't be surprised to see the RS freshman, Lawerke, at the QB next year instead of O'Connor. Damien Terry will move to WR IMHO. Still should win 9-10 games, but the B1G East will harder to win next year than this IMHO.

MSU's D is almost as good as last few years. O line owns most D lines....now. Cook looks healthy again. Team playing with a lot more confidence. D backs finally flying to the ball. Much better tackling. Montae Nicholson and Demetrius Cox are playing much, much better. Malik McDowell is a top 10 NFL draft pick....in '17. Our LBs are also just on fire.

Iowa IMHO, might be the toughest of MSU's remaining potential opponents. Spartans can provably hold Bama's O in check but can they score on them enough? Don't know. They can score on Clemson, but can they stop them? Same with Oklahoma.

Iowa, to me, looks the the best of these 4 teams in terms of overall balance...O and D. They're tough on both sides of the ball.

This will be MSUs best shot. I'm much more concerned about beating Iowa than I am the other playoff contenders. I actually think whoever wins next week has a very good chance to bring a 2nd consecutive Nat Champ to the B1G.

The Alabama defense is so much better than any defense that is left that you may play and Derrick Henry is quite simply the best RB in the nation behind the best OL. MSU cannnot beat the Tide this year. The Tide is on fire right now and Saban is dying to prove last year wrong. Bama will win it this year folks. They are the best of any team left.

The Alabama defense is so much better than any defense that is left that you may play and Derrick Henry is quite simply the best RB in the nation behind the best OL. MSU cannnot beat the Tide this year. The Tide is on fire right now and Saban is dying to prove last year wrong. Bama will win it this year folks. They are the best of any team left.
MSU will stuff the Bama running game and force them to pass. OSU has a terrific RB too. OSU had a terrific O line too.
I'm most worried about getting by Iowa. I think the other playoff teams are much more beatable than the Hawkeyes.

I think the B1G will bring home another Nat Champ this year.

Our defense did a number on your O-line this year - we had a few sacks on Cook and we held MSU to 3 TDs including one which was just a perfectly executed wheel route. Having said that, give Dantonio enough time to prepare for any team in the country, including Alabama, and his team will be ready. I think Iowa is a legit team, very fundamentally sound and they do not beat themselves and they have a good secondary. However, an indoor game in Indy favors Cook as he will find his WRs. The MSU D-line is not great. OSU played terribly - this same MSU D-line was torn to shreds by Purdue, Rutgers, and Nebraska. They are cranking at the right time so that should help but I think Iowa will be a tough test though I expect MSU comes out on top.

Now for the playoffs. The team MSU really needs to be concerned about is Clemson - fantastic vertical game and that is where MSU's biggest weakness is - their secondary can easily get shredded. Clemson has a mobile QB who has a heck of an arm so that will be the game where MSU just does not match up well. I think MSU has a fair chance of handling either Alabama or Oklahoma if they play either of those teams. It all depends on matchups though - if MSU makes the playoffs they will be the healthiest they have been all year and if MSU has their offensive line clicking, they are the best in the country there.

I disagree with this. I think North Carolina will beat Clemson in the ACC championship next Saturday. The Heels are really good and have been overlooked because they lost in August to a horrible but SPURRIER coached South Carolina. They are very good and can beat Clemson. Also, why is everyone automatically picking MSU over Iowa. The Hawkeyes are UNDEFEATED. Yes, they played a weaker schedule but it is very difficult to go undefeated period. Iowa is much better than people think and are even more physical than Michigan State. I think the Hawkeyes will do better than expected. Out of all the teams left, NO team is playing like Alabama right now in all phases of the game. Their defense is phenomenal and they have the BEST rb in the country period behind quite possibly the best OL. They are physical and fast. They will beat Florida next Saturday. Saban is hungry because of his loss top Myer last year and is out to prove he is worthy of yet another national championship. I pick Alabama, Iowa, Oklahoma and Ohio State to make the final four with NC being screwed and left out because Myer will whine his way in like he did in 2006. Final game. Bama beats Oklahoma for another Saban NC. MSU stuffing the run against Alabama is a joke. Come on, you LOST to Michigan this year and had to have a MIRACLE to beat them on a dropped punt. You also played OSU in horrible weather and that is WHY you beat them. If you played again the Bucks win by 17 or more.

Last edited:
SCfanblue - love your enthusiasm but that is why the game is played. Remember last year everyone though MSU was going to get blown out by Baylor and then the year before that we thought Stanford would do that to them as well - Dantonio is a fine coach.

The MSU team that beat Michigan is way better now than it was then. Michigan now is not nearly as good as it was in October.
It was not a fluke that MSU knocked off OSU and they romped over UM. MSU's O and D lines are peaking right now. In October they were both on crutches.

I'm far from comfortable predicting any win for my guys this time of year. Glad to still be playing however.

Alabama is beatable. I agree with the NC over Clemson.

I highly doubt however 2 B1G teams make the playoffs. Doubt any conference can get 2. I won't be surprised if Florida surprises Bama either. Right now, only Oklahoma looks like a guarantee for the playoffs.

Reactions: CaliforniaGreen1
The MSU team that beat Michigan is way better now than it was then. Michigan now is not nearly as good as it was in October.
It was not a fluke that MSU knocked off OSU and they romped over UM. MSU's O and D lines are peaking right now. In October they were both on crutches.

I'm far from comfortable predicting any win for my guys this time of year. Glad to still be playing however.

Alabama is beatable. I agree with the NC over Clemson.

I highly doubt however 2 B1G teams make the playoffs. Doubt any conference can get 2. I won't be surprised if Florida surprises Bama either. Right now, only Oklahoma looks like a guarantee for the playoffs.

I don't think either team is better or worse - it's all about matchups. Michigan matches up very well against teams that run the Pro-style offense - REALLY well. If MSU/UM played it would be a very close game again. Michigan got sashed by teams that run tempo options - OSU and Indiana and to a certain degree Utah. Every other team, our defense was able to handle. It really boils down to how favorable the matchups are. That is why I think MSU should fear Clemson because it's strength against weakness (Clemson WRs versus MSU secondary). I personally think Bama is beatable - they looked pedestrian against a terrible Auburn team. I think the SEC is very overrated this year.

The one team everyone should fear over here is Ohio State really - if they are clicking like they did against Michigan they will beat anyone in the country based purely on talent. However, I don't see that happening. It would take Florida beating Alabama, NC beating Clemson, and Stanford losing to USC for that to happen.

SCfanblue - love your enthusiasm but that is why the game is played. Remember last year everyone though MSU was going to get blown out by Baylor and then the year before that we thought Stanford would do that to them as well - Dantonio is a fine coach.

It was not coaching that caused Blake O'neil to drop the ball. He dropped it and you scored. That is called your 10 second miracle because Michigan beat you that day in every phase of the game. I also love your enthusiasm believing that MSU will stuff the run against Alabama. Sure they will! The only hope that the Big 10 has this year to win a NC rests with how OSU falls next week in the final rankings. They are still the best team in the nation talent wise and the ONLY team left that has remotely a prayer to beat Alabama in the playoffs.

It was not coaching that caused Blake O'neil to drop the ball. He dropped it and you scored. That is called your 10 second miracle because Michigan beat you that day in every phase of the game. I also love your enthusiasm believing that MSU will stuff the run against Alabama. Sure they will! The only hope that the Big 10 has this year to win a NC rests with how OSU falls next week in the final rankings. They are still the best team in the nation talent wise and the ONLY team left that has remotely a prayer to beat Alabama in the playoffs.

I am a Michigan alum - so I am not "you" - call it whatever you want though, a win is a win. We beat Minn and got really lucky as well - it can go both ways.

Well I am an North Carolina alum who is a Michigan fan so that doesn't really matter to me where you graduated from. Many college teams have won on actual "miracles" instead of what I call hard play. How about Nebraska in 97 against Missouri (kicked football) or Colorado's 1990 infamous 5th down to beat Missouri. Both teams went on to win the national championship by the way. We didn't beat Minny due to luck. We beat them by outplaying them in the final seconds and poor clock management by their coaching staff. The Spartans NEVER outplayed Michigan this year. They got a tremendous lucky break due to a fluke play period and yes that is how the game goes sometimes. I also agree that Dantonio is an excellent coach but did he turn MSU around like Jim Harbaugh did his first year? No he did not. if Harbaugh is in Ann Arbor seven years from now their will be another national championship trophy next to Loyd Carr's (shared with Nebraska due to a fluke kicked ball on 4th down)

Our defense did a number on your O-line this year - we had a few sacks on Cook and we held MSU to 3 TDs including one which was just a perfectly executed wheel route. Having said that, give Dantonio enough time to prepare for any team in the country, including Alabama, and his team will be ready. I think Iowa is a legit team, very fundamentally sound and they do not beat themselves and they have a good secondary. However, an indoor game in Indy favors Cook as he will find his WRs. The MSU D-line is not great. OSU played terribly - this same MSU D-line was torn to shreds by Purdue, Rutgers, and Nebraska. They are cranking at the right time so that should help but I think Iowa will be a tough test though I expect MSU comes out on top.

Now for the playoffs. The team MSU really needs to be concerned about is Clemson - fantastic vertical game and that is where MSU's biggest weakness is - their secondary can easily get shredded. Clemson has a mobile QB who has a heck of an arm so that will be the game where MSU just does not match up well. I think MSU has a fair chance of handling either Alabama or Oklahoma if they play either of those teams. It all depends on matchups though - if MSU makes the playoffs they will be the healthiest they have been all year and if MSU has their offensive line clicking, they are the best in the country there.
MSU's OL didn't reach full strength until a few weeks ago. In the UM game, Jack Allen was out, and MSU two starting OT's, Conklin and Keiler (sp?), were coming back from injury and were playing at perhaps 60%. MSU still managed close to 400 yards on a very good UM D, in Ann Arbor.

This IS Dantonios best shot at a NC for a few years IMHO. Next year the Spartans lose a top QB and WRs, 2 top OLs and 2-3 huge DLs. There are a number of guys ready to step up but they won't replace what we're losing right away. I won't be surprised to see the RS freshman, Lawerke, at the QB next year instead of O'Connor. Damien Terry will move to WR IMHO. Still should win 9-10 games, but the B1G East will harder to win next year than this IMHO.

MSU's D is almost as good as last few years. O line owns most D lines....now. Cook looks healthy again. Team playing with a lot more confidence. D backs finally flying to the ball. Much better tackling. Montae Nicholson and Demetrius Cox are playing much, much better. Malik McDowell is a top 10 NFL draft pick....in '17. Our LBs are also just on fire.

Iowa IMHO, might be the toughest of MSU's remaining potential opponents. Spartans can provably hold Bama's O in check but can they score on them enough? Don't know. They can score on Clemson, but can they stop them? Same with Oklahoma.

Iowa, to me, looks the the best of these 4 teams in terms of overall balance...O and D. They're tough on both sides of the ball.

This will be MSUs best shot. I'm much more concerned about beating Iowa than I am the other playoff contenders. I actually think whoever wins next week has a very good chance to bring a 2nd consecutive Nat Champ to the B1G.
MSU has recruited the DL very well, and brings back its entire back 7, including the injured lock down CB, Copeland. Also, it looks good for Ed Davis (all-American talent who has been out all season) and Damion Knox to receive their 6th year of eligibility. The D will be better in 2016. As for the O, MSU should be fine at QB, and has a lot of talented WR's waiting their turn. All four RB's return. 5 or 6 offensive linemen with starting experience return (the upside of injuries), and MSU has brought in some very good OL recruits in the past two classes. That said, I'll go with the OL being the biggest question mark going into the 2016 season. Both the kicker and punter return.

MSU will be very good next season. How good? We'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: ThatsMrSpartan2U
sc, we can go round and round on the MSU/UM game, but two things: 1) Special teams (which are certainly part of the game) were a huge advantage for Michigan for all but the last 10 seconds, and was directly responsible for UM having much better field position all day, and for not trailing all game; That was the one area where UM dominated MSU, so it's a bit inconsistent for UM fans to then discount the last play of the game which obviously was special teams; 2) MSU was hit hard by injuries this year, particularly on the OL and in the defensive backfield, and UM benefited from playing MSU at their weakest point from an injury perspective.

I don't think Harbaugh's going anywhere else (at least for a long while), so I think the future battles between MSU, UM and OSU are going to be epic. Harbaugh is a great coach, but so are Dantonio and Meyer. I also think the logic that UM will roll next year vs. MSU (because of this year's "loss on a fluke play") is about as unsound as those that assumed because Hoke kept things close vs. OSU, that Harbaugh would win vs. OSU.

sc, we can go round and round on the MSU/UM game, but two things: 1) Special teams (which are certainly part of the game) were a huge advantage for Michigan for all but the last 10 seconds, and was directly responsible for UM having much better field position all day, and for not trailing all game; That was the one area where UM dominated MSU, so it's a bit inconsistent for UM fans to then discount the last play of the game which obviously was special teams; 2) MSU was hit hard by injuries this year, particularly on the OL and in the defensive backfield, and UM benefited from playing MSU at their weakest point from an injury perspective.

I don't think Harbaugh's going anywhere else (at least for a long while), so I think the future battles between MSU, UM and OSU are going to be epic. Harbaugh is a great coach, but so are Dantonio and Meyer. I also think the logic that UM will roll next year vs. MSU (because of this year's "loss on a fluke play") is about as unsound as those that assumed because Hoke kept things close vs. OSU, that Harbaugh would win vs. OSU.
The coaching staff's decision to go with the back up punter in the UM game continues to be a head scratcher. MSU's freshman punter has been good to excellent all season long. Having O'Connor do the punting damn near cost MSU the game, IMO.

The coaching staff's decision to go with the back up punter in the UM game continues to be a head scratcher. MSU's freshman punter has been good to excellent all season long. Having O'Connor do the punting damn near cost MSU the game, IMO.

He'd had a horrible game against Rutgers (averaged less than 25 yards/punt).

One thing kept UM close in that game and it was special teams. You had a short field all day, and our horrific special teams at that point gave us a long field. We dominated the stats, doubling you up on 1st downs and total yards, or at least close). But you know what they say, stats are for losers :) scoreboard is really all that counts.

He'd had a horrible game against Rutgers (averaged less than 25 yards/punt).
The reason his average was so low was due to a bad snap causing what looked to be a partially blocked punt that went about 15 yards. The MSU coaches decided to go with a back up punter that, as far as I know, never punted in a game. Not a smart move, IMO.

Why do Spartan fans think that their team is the only one who had to play with injuries. UM's best DL and running back were hurt the whole season, but I guess that doesn't matter.
Some of these Sparty posters are starting to sound like Izzo and his whining about injuries.

Reactions: rojo36
Michigan State has not really beaten anyone this year besides Michigan (on a fluke) and Ohio State. Oregon sucks this year. I am not saying that they are not a good team but what have they really proved? They do have a good run defense (passing defense sucks) and their offense is good enough to punch in some points. When he is under pressure, Conner Cook sucks. I predict the Spartans will make it to the playoffs, however, they have not seen the speed they will with Clemson, Oklahoma, and especially Alabama. These three teams are also very big and physical. I will say that MSU has gotten the types of lucky breaks this year that many teams have gotten on their way to winning the NC. If Florida somehow upsets Bama this Saturday and NC beats Clemson then the Spartans may very well win it UNLESS they have have to play OSU again. The Buckeyes will beat them if they play again as bad as they beat Michigan.

Why do Spartan fans think that their team is the only one who had to play with injuries. UM's best DL and running back were hurt the whole season, but I guess that doesn't matter.
Some of these Sparty posters are starting to sound like Izzo and his whining about injuries.

I'm not comparing MSU's injuries to other teams. I'm simply stating a fact that injuries were a major factor for MSU this year, and certainly impacted the team more than any other year under Dantonio. We lost our best linebacker, Ed Davis before the season, lost our best cover corner (Copeland) in the Oregon game, lost our best safety (Williamson) in early October. Our defensive backfield was our weakness coming in, and injuries there really hurt us. MSU started two true freshmen at safety vs. UM. Also, MSU's OL was thought to be one of the nation's best coming into the year (with two pre-season All Americans in Jack Allen and Conklin), and they and others were banged up for most of the season. The OSU game was he healthiest that group had been all year and I would say it showed, wouldn't you? And finally, even before the season,, MSU's playoff chances pretty much rested on beating OSU in Columbus, and the fact they had to do it without their all conference QB.

That is a ton of injuries for sure. As far as OSU is concerned, it is very impressive you won that game in Columbus with your backup QB. However, OSU-player for player is the BEST team in the country period and the ONLY time they played like that was Saturday against Michigan. in my opinion, they are the ONLY team capable of beating Alabama right now. The Tide is playing at a level that no else is right now and especially on defense under Georgia's new head coach, Kirby Smart. Derrick Henry is simply unstoppable at 6"5 245 lbs (4.43 40 time) and he is running behind a massive well coached OL. OSU can beat them but doubtful they will do it twice against Saban. He will whack Urban this time around before his entire coaching staff is gone next year.

Michigan State has not really beaten anyone this year besides Michigan (on a fluke) and Ohio State. Oregon sucks this year. I am not saying that they are not a good team but what have they really proved? They do have a good run defense (passing defense sucks) and their offense is good enough to punch in some points. When he is under pressure, Conner Cook sucks. I predict the Spartans will make it to the playoffs, however, they have not seen the speed they will with Clemson, Oklahoma, and especially Alabama. These three teams are also very big and physical. I will say that MSU has gotten the types of lucky breaks this year that many teams have gotten on their way to winning the NC. If Florida somehow upsets Bama this Saturday and NC beats Clemson then the Spartans may very well win it UNLESS they have have to play OSU again. The Buckeyes will beat them if they play again as bad as they beat Michigan.

MSU may well lose in the playoffs or to Iowa, but a few things:

1) Most QBs are less effective under pressure. Might want to review the recent analysis of Big Ten QBs' effectiveness against the blitz before spouting off about Cook sucking vs. pressure.
2) MSU dominated OSU on both lines - not sure why you believe that to be a fluke.
3) OSU and Oregon didn't have the speed of Clemson, OK, or Alabama?
4) In the last 3 seasons, MSU has gone 2-1 vs. OSU, 1-1 with Oregon, 1-0 vs. Stanford, 1-0 vs. Baylor, and 30-2 versus everybody else. The 35 wins they have are more than any of the likely playoff teams (yes, 1 more win than Bama); only FSU and OSU have more wins, and they happen to have won the last 2 NCs.
5) Saying MSU hasn't beaten anybody just shows your lack of objectivity - in the latest CFP rankings, they will have beaten three of the top 16 and if they beat Iowa, will have 4 such wins; Oklahoma is the only one remotely similar, beating 3 of the top 17). Plus, they have the best win of the year of the contenders, @OSU without their starting QB

#1- Michigan pressured Cook all day and he looked awful.
#2-MSU may have dominated OSU on a nasty blustery day in Columbus with a back up QB BUT that will not happen again IF they meet again in the playoffs which is very unlikely to begin with
#3- Oregon may have speed but let's compare their record with Clemson, Oklahoma, and Alabama who have more team speed than even Ohio State.
#4-Michigan State's play last year is NOT what I am talking about. I am talking about this year. Oregon, Stanford, Baylor this year? who cares? Last year was last year/
#5-MSU has beaten a 9-3 Michigan team and of course OSU at home. How good is Iowa? No one really knows? why? who have they really played? Nebraska who beat you on a horrendous call.

I think its funny that MSU fan thinks a game with a final score of 17-14 is dominating anyone

"1- Michigan pressured Cook all day and he looked awful."

Really?! 328 yards, 1 TD/0 int, 8.4 yards per attempt. Seems to me, most of the commentary was how Cook was able to deliver dimes to Burbridge or Kings or Shelton, despite pretty good coverage. Box score shows UM with 10 PBUs (6 by Lewis), Kings also had a couple key drops. If you think Cook sucked in that game, then we just disagree.

I agree UM did though get pressure on Cook, but note that PSU (with what I'd say is a pretty similar quality defensive line as UM) didn't touch Cook all day (no sacks, no knockdowns), which gets to my earlier point on the MSU OL vs. UM - it was the most banged up they were all year in that game.

I think its funny that MSU fan thinks a game with a final score of 17-14 is dominating anyone

I never said the score was dominating. If you don't believe both of your lines were dominated by MSU, I don't know what to tell you.

Congrats though, you did manage to only lose by 3 despite:

- getting doubled up on in total yards, rushing yards, passing yards and time of possession
- getting only 5 first downs (vs. 17 for MSU)
- scoring your 14 points on TD drives of 32 and 6 yards, after MSU turnovers.
- MSU missing their all conference QB

Yes, indeed, a very solid performance by OSU!

One trick pony...stop Henry win the game...terrible qb make him pass to beat you.
Bama overrated

I never said the score was dominating. If you don't believe both of your lines were dominated by MSU, I don't know what to tell you.

- getting doubled up on in total yards, rushing yards, passing yards and time of possession

42-13 !

Cook sucks under pressure? You are joking, right? When under pressure, he's one of the best QB's in the nation. Best third and long QB I've seen in college football.

As for MSU schedule, Phil Steele put out a piece this week ranking the winning percentage of the opponents of every team in the nation. MSU is number one with an opponents win percent of .71.

Good for Phil because that means squat. Geez, u guys have quickly forgot how a dropped punt by Blake O'neil put you in your current position. MSU is no where near the team they were last year. U will get smoked in the playoffs IF you beat Iowa

As a Wolverine fan....I'm all in for Iowa because I do not want one of my biggest rivals to enjoy success. But, to come on here & bash MSU is plain stupid. You cannot deny some of their top notch players that resides at the QB, WR, OL & DL positions. Like it or not, the coaching staff knows how to "coach up" or find overachievers at the RB & LB positions. There players know how to "come up big" in the big moments more times than not. You put all of these ingredients together & the results the last 3 seasons especially, speak for themselves.
In the grand scheme of things coming up big at the big moment more often than not make the difference in the game. I've seen it from Sparty recently on a pretty damn consistent basis. Now looking to see if this season's Hawkeyes have it in their game to come up big this coming Saturday.

You are just being a troll now... if you think MSU having amassed 294 total yards is dominating anything then you sir are a fool.

I have addressed everything you are yapping about in previous posts. The fact that YOU dont like what Urban has said (and done as a consequence of that game) regarding the game plan what EIlliot had to say about the game plan, well then, your an idiot.

Cant go with you there.... Oregon went 9-3 and 6-0 in their last 6 games. MSU is a very, very good team.

"your [sic] an idiot" LOL

Actually, I really don't care to argue with you either. You can continue to believe that OSU is the better team, with better players despite the results on the field. We actually agree on something - MSU does have better coaching than OSU!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT