ADVERTISEMENT

Bump Elliot offended my father and a high school AA linebacker.

AirborneArmi

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2014
I’m up from Florida visiting my father in Illinois this week after my mother passed. He was telling me some old stories, among many, of when he was the high school football coach at Allegan Michigan in the 60’s. He went onto the staff at CMU, was the head coach of the NFL farm league team for the Philadelphia Eagles, Twin City Titans where he won their Super Bowl and was on a summer staff with Detroit. But this one story while he was at Allegan had me intently listening.
He had three linebackers that were monsters. My father was friends with George Allen of the Chicago Bears and he tought my father their defense. So he was having undefeated seasons at the high school level and outstanding linebacker play, led by All-American, Mike Jones. They went on a recruiting visit to UM and sat down with coach. My great grandfather was a physician and so was the father of the Elliot brothers as my dad says. They were in the same circles in Illinois. So he was familiar with the family and knew him as having an air of elitism and arrogance somewhat before hand. My father’s words, not mine. He told me after some recruitment they got to Ann Arbor and into the visit. Bump sat them down and said Mike Jones was still being evaluated and he wasn’t sure if Mike was of Michigan’s caliber. My dad told him he thought that he was. He answered with all of his accolades and accomplishments, which were substantial I think. I’ve talked with Mike Jones on multiple occasions. He’s a man’s man. He said Bump Elliot gave him this half disinterested eye roll and shrug. Lol. So that ended that. Well, a new head coach at Colorado State with some Michigan ties named Mike Lude called my dad and wanted Mike. Mr. Jones went on CSU and played there. My father had other players that went onto the college ranks but none went to UM. Crazy! I was kind of shocked and laughing the whole time he was telling me this. He has no hard feelings and even likes UM, but wow! My father at age 84 still amazes me!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News