ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Blue Chips: Breaking Down Four-Star QB Target Justyn Martin

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
I caught up with Inglewood (Calif.) High offensive coordinator Malik James to get more on four-star Michigan quarterback target Justyn Martin.

Here are some highlights from the interview.

On his overall thoughts on Martin:

"Justyn Martin has the highest ceiling at the quarterback position in the state of California. He is 6-foot-4, 210 pounds. He's mobile enough to escape the pocket and get the first down. His arm is big enough to make throws downfield. Over the spring, he threw a 70-yard deep ball. He's fairly accurate. What's most intriguing about Justyn is he just started to take football seriously. He's been a dual-sport athlete with basketball. Over the COVID-19 pandemic is when he locked in and put all his efforts into football. Once he gets down everything that every other quarterback has and grows into his body — his dad is 6-foot-6 and his mom is 5-foot-10 — he's going to check a lot of boxes."

On how Martin would fit in at Michigan:

"I think he can play anywhere in the country, but Michigan makes a lot of sense if it were to happen for him. You have a head coach (Jim Harbaugh) that's a quarterback guy. He's always in the room. The Big Ten conference produces Heisman hopefuls year in and year out. Most importantly, academics is something Justyn always puts first. We lift after practice everyday, and he was pissed I made him lift because he had a three-page paper due at midnight. He made that his priority. Academics and having a quarterback-minded head coach would be huge for him."

On a player comparison for Martin:

"I like the comparison to (Arizona State quarterback) Jayden Daniels. Justyn is a lot bigger, but Jayden Daniels has the athletic ability to escape the pocket and get first downs. At Arizona State, he's rushed for more than 100 yards in multiple games and has been at an 85 completion percentage this month. That's exactly what Justyn presents. He gets the deep ball out, and he's accurate. Most importantly, his athleticism shows up when it needs to. We've seen Justyn do a 360 windmill dunk in the gym. Jayden Daniels is probably the most comparable prospect at the collegiate level."

On New Michigan Director of Player Personnel Courtney Morgan:

"Courtney Morgan gives Michigan huge recruiting advantage out West. He was born and raised here. He went to Westchester high school. He knows the lay of the land really well. He's connected to all the reputable people out West. He had stints at San Jose State and Fresno State. He works his tail off. But most importantly, he's respected. He's also an active guy. He doesn't mind burning your phone up with texts and DMs. He knows what he wants, and you can see it in his efforts."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News