ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Block scheduling

zeke76

Michigan Man
May 29, 2001
What do you guys think of the conference's apparently effort to have the same schools play each other in multiple sports on the same weekend? Michigan played Minnesota in hockey, wrestling, and men's basketball all in one weekend and then did the same with Wisconsin. This weekend we have MSU in hockey and bball. Are they doing this for other schools? I assume it is done to help BTN ratings especially for wrestling ... putting wrestling on right before or after hockey with the same schools playing might get people to watch who wouldn't tune in for wrestling alone. I would figure the same could be true for hockey if the bball game was on BTN.

I like having it, especially the hockey and basketball. I think it gives the fans an additional incentive to travel. I wonder if some of the teams travel together too to save on expenses?

For instance, when Minnesota was here, did the hockey and basketball team travel on one plane from Thur-Sat instead of taking two flights from MPLS? The Saturday games are scheduled early for TV so teams can travel back the same night too.

Also, when MSU hockey played at Penn St., I wonder if their flight dropped them off and then proceeded to take the MSU basketball team to not too distant College Park, MD?

Minnesota's hockey and basketball teams flew separately to Ann Arbor, but shared a plane going back to Minneapolis.

Interesting. Those type of savings make a ton of sense and travelling with another team might be fun for the players (though maybe not after both teams lose).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT