ADVERTISEMENT

Before the break

IABlueCrue

All-American
Dec 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
Several weeks ago I decided to take a break from the site and focus on some other stuff. I mentioned it here in a post and received several replies and direct messages. I appreciate everyone reaching out to me and want to be clear, I will be back. This community is too great to leave forever.

My decision had nothing to do with this site, or other posters. With no college sports, I want to invest my time and effort on other things. When Michigan is back on the field, on the ice or on the hardwood, you will likely see me again. But we all know how addicting it can be to click on The Fort.

My subscription expires in the next couple of days. I will probably keep posting until that happens but wanted to say a few things before I go.

This isn't about getting a bunch of replies about being missed. I don't need that. And as we have seen with other posters who have left, the community moves forward with or without us.

This is about recognizing a few people though who have made this place special. I don't want to walk away without letting them know they are appreciated.

@ChrisBalas and @JohnBorton - you guys are two of the best in the business. In a world where being first and accumulating clicks has become more important than getting it right and offering quality content. You guys have refused to compromise your values. A lot of respect for what you have here.

@Austin Fox and @Clayton Sayfie - excited to see how you guys continue to grow under two of the best possible mentors in the business. I am a data guy. So I have always enjoyed your contributions to the site.

@EJ Holland - you are exactly what I always thought a recruiting reporter should be. Stu Coman needs to do everything he can to keep you here. But please - please - take a break every once in awhile. You, your wife, and your cat deserve it.

@Bob Miller - since my son started playing hockey it has quickly become my favorite sport as a spectator. For many years I longed for the type of insight you have provided on Michigan hockey to this site. You were also critical in getting me in contact with the softball staff, which led to the recruitment of our family friend's daughter. She picked Northwestern, but I still appreciate all you did to put Michigan in her final two.

@sane1 and @MHoops1 - I have always enjoyed college basketball but not to the level that I always knew what was working or not working. Your threads on the basketball team have provided a whole different view of the game for me. You both should be on the payroll.

@Jim__S , @totchman , @Section_6 , @MaizeNBlue1817 , @GFunk (and I'm sure I missed someone else) - much appreciation for all of the information you bring to this board. The mods provide some of the best content in the business. You guys super size it.

@jimUMfan - Good news Wednesday. Need I say more. One of the best thread ideas on this site, especially this year.

A few years ago, I shared the story of my niece being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and asked members to support her in fundraising for a JDRF event. I didn't really expect much considering most of you don't really know me or her. The response was incredible. I'm talking more than a thousand incredibles.

When our oldest son suffered a significant concussion his sophomore year in football, a lot of you offered support and advise. Some of you continued to check up on him long after the season ended.

Then of course came our ordeal with my son Teagin. A seizure, brain tumor and surgery. The volume of support that came from this community was beyond words. I cried. My wife couldn't understand how complete strangers could care so much. People offered prayers, best wishes, some even volunteered to travel to Iowa City to help with our other kids.

Even after his surgery and recovery many of you reach out in posts or direct messages to ask about him. He is doing very well by the way.

The content here is benchmark. But the community is what makes this place special. And I know my handful of experiences barely scratch the surface of what this site and its members have done for others.

We debate, we argue, we even take it personal sometimes but in the end we share a common bond. We belong to The Fort.

Hopefully, soon we will have Michigan sports back in our lives. But more importantly, I hope we will all have some normalcy back in our lives. Until then I wish everyone here the best (including those I didn't always agree with).

Stay healthy! Go Blue! Semper Fidelis!

I shall return....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News