ADVERTISEMENT

Been very quiet about this game this week

MichaelJSpath

Sophomore
Dec 21, 2020
1) First off, let me say, I was wrong about this team. I predicted a 6-6 record before the year, with losses to Washington and Wisconsin. I didn't expect the chemistry to be this good. I had serious reservations about a first-time defensive coordinator (who has been amazingly good), a brand-new offensive line coach and a first-time QB coach. Most of all, with the culture issues of 2018-2019 and to some degree 2020, the stagnant, 1990s-level offense and a lack of QB development, I didn't believe in Harbaugh. I haven't pulled a 180 on Jim - they need to beat Ohio State and win a Big Ten title for that to happen - but I've certainly been impressed with the coaching he has done this year and the coaching decisions he made in the offseason. More than that, I'm a believer in this team.

They have done everything I would have asked them to do preseason to make us believers: beat Washington, go on the road to beat Wisconsin (both in convincing fashion to boot), develop an identity and maximize their talent defensively. I still think they have significant room to grow offensively but I've seen plenty of posts on Twitter this week dismissing what Michigan has accomplished thus far, and that's crap. Yes, there are seven games remaining and there are four big tests remaining (three huge ones), but Michigan has exceeded expectations so far.

Now, that's not to say that 8-4 would be good enough now. When you start 5-0, in the fashion U-M has, it is only natural and fair to recalibrate goals/expectations. Think about it like this, after the hoops team's performance through February, you weren't saying "Well, if you just make the tournament, that's good enough for me" like many felt preseason. When a team shows they are capable of much more, you want to see them realize their potential.

What's this team capable of? Based off what we've seen ... winning the Big Ten East, even beating Ohio State, though that would still be Herculean. There isn't anyone on this schedule, U-M can't beat. Going into EL and State College will be incredibly challenging, but doable. I won't throw Michigan to the curb if they go 10-2 with losses to PSU and OSU but I wouldn't be satisfied either if they lose to Nebraska, MSU, PSU and OSU going forward. Special seasons are special for a reason. They're hard to do, but this team has that intangible quality (and more talent than 6 of its next 7 opponents), and I want to see them get better every week, live up to their promise and continue to win the big games.

So many have said 2022 could be the year to get over the jump but hell, let's get over it in 2021!

2) Which brings us to Nebraska. I've been super quiet all week. I'm not "scared" by this game but I've spent 20 years in sports media and can all see the signs: Michigan coming off an emotional win; a Nebraska team playing good football and desperate for a "signature" victory; a U-M defense that has not squared off yet with a dual-threat QB quite like Adrien Martinez; a Michigan passing attack that is still too inconsistent (and maybe missing one of its emerging targets); a night game in hostile territory. It all has the makings of an upset. Yet, I'm not going that way. Why? Aidan Hutchinson, Mike Macdonald, Josh Ross, Haskins/Corum and Jim Harbaugh. The latter has his swagger back and that trickles down to the team. The Jump Around thing last week was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Can't recall a Power 5 conference school doing that in a game on the line. Maybe some FCS foes there for a payday but not a Wisconsin equal.

I think this is the game where Michigan gets its groove back on the ground. Cade McNamara and Co., have now given defenses something to think about. Yes, Nebraska will absolutely think run first but if U-M comes out throwing, and hits some big plays early, I really believe U-M can find some running seams. I also have every confidence that the Michigan defense won't let one man beat them (I also think Martinez is due for a couple mistakes as he tends to make a bonehead throw or two per game). Certainly not predicting an easy win with a second half like in Madison, but as I noted, I'm buying stock on this Michigan squad and think they win 27-17.

3) The big question remains McNamara offensively. He missed way too many short and intermediate throws in the first half against Wisconsin, and being late on the wheel route to Donovan Edwards will cost U-M a game if it happens again. Maybe the insertion of McCarthy in the game when they did sparked Cade because he was noticeably better in the second half. He's young, but seven starts in, he needs to even out his play and become more consistent. I know his receivers dropped some balls but none were passes in the bread basket. I don't subscribe to the idea that if it hits you in the hands you should catch it. That's an old-school mentality that is mostly about accountability and trying to teach a team selflessness. Both good qualities, but a ball throw behind a receiver moving at 20 mph across the field is not on the WR. A ball tipped by a defender because it's arriving late that then hits you in the hands is not on the WR. Quarterbacks aren't perfect too and the game is moving fast for them, but the gig is to put the pass catcher in the best position to be successful, and Cade has to get better at that.

I would expect to see JJ in a similar fashion this week. I would not expect him to take over from Cade unless things really go south. It's pretty clear Jim's guy is Cade through thick and thin, but using McCarthy strategically both as a weapon and to light a fire in Cade can be really powerful.

4) Excited for the game. Go Blue. Have gotten better about not reacting so emotionally on Twitter during games. Helps when I put the phone in another room! Father-in-law will be over Saturday so that should be easier.

PS, I know folks hate MSU with a passion (and ya'll know I'm married to a Spartan - and she's incredible - so it's complicated ;) ) but I think we should all be rooting for both teams to win their next two games. A top-10 matchup between Michigan and MSU would be epic. That week, in this state, would be as frenzied as we've ever seen. In 2003, Michigan was No. 11 and MSU was No. 9 and then it was 3-11 in 1999. It hasn't been a Top 10 matchup since 1961 when Michigan was No. 6 and State was No. 5. (You can use that stat @Ryan_Tice or @Clayton Sayfie for a future article!). Just think how awesome that would be when Michigan wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News