ADVERTISEMENT

Basement Finishing - Refi / Home Equity Loan Question

CoffeeTable105

Sophomore
May 13, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have a mortgage refi question for you…

We are currently in the process of finishing our basement and will be done within the next few weeks. For everything (actual cost of finishing, furnishing, appliances, etc) we are in about $85K. Our current outstanding mortgage is $353K @2.875% and the home will appraise for ~$700K once the basement is fully finished. We’ve paid for everything up front, but now would like to reimburse ourselves, so we can use the cash for some other investments. With the news that rates will be increasing (which I’m noticing that they already have…), I’ve begun looking into refinancing and home equity loans. From my preliminary pre-quals, the numbers I’ve been given are as followed:
  • Refinance entire mortgage + $85K = $438K @ 3.5% (due to rates increasing)
  • Home Equity Loan - $85K @ between 6% and 6.3% for a 30 year term and then keep my current mortgage rate on the remaining $353K @2.875%
I plan to keep shopping around to get that home equity loan rate lower, but that was my initial offer through an online bank. If I were take the home equity loan option, I would pay lump sums ever so often to drastically increase the payoff time. This said, what makes the most sense for the long run? Please note that AS OF NOW, our goal is stay in this house maybe 7-10 more years, depending on how my wife feels at the time, of course…

Note, income isn’t an issue for approval, and my credit score is 825.

Thank you!!

Reactions: BigHouseBoyz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News