ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else watching GA breakdowns of Mich?

brandonmcnally12

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2021
Some of these are just comical.

"Mich runs a basic 4-2-5 defense. They don't really disguise. They run a lot of man under halves."
"Mich isn't going to run the ball down GA's throat." (Then go on to compare Mich rushing attack to UAB and FL).
"This is a SEC defense in a B1G uniform."
"Mich can't run the ball against GA."

I'm actually wondering where some of this stuff is coming from. Bama, easily the best team GA played all season, doesn't lean on their run game nor did GA make them. Young gave them all kinds of problems and they had no answer for him.

If you only watched the OSU game, I can understand the man under comment but no one who watched Michigan all season can say they don't operate out of a multitude of fronts, looks, coverages or personnel packages.

GA may be the best defense Mich has seen all season but there are ways around this and Gattis is good enough to find them. Their secondary can be had, as demonstrated by several teams throwing for over 300 yards against them and of course Young's Heisman moment in the SEC Championship. They have a monster at NT, ok, trap him. If you don't want to trap him, get him running sideline to sideline and tire him out. Their backers are insanely fast, ok, make them think. Let them flow on play action and run the TE delay that was very effective against Nebraska. They want to take that away, find Corum and Edwards in the flat or on angle routes in the middle where they replace a blitzing backer. Just because GA is fast doesn't mean they play that way when you give them other things to worry about to take advantage of that aggressiveness and speed. Mich hasn't run a lot of designed screens this year, could be a way to catch them as well.

The point is, Mich has a lot of answers. It's not about being just able to "run the ball." It's about what Mich's run game sets up in addition. I'm sure Mich will gladly take a failed play early in the game to set up a 50 yard play later in the game, something Gattis has been very good at lately.

The SEC comment baffles me. This isn't the SEC of the last decade and a half. Plenty of teams have beaten SEC schools. The SEC already has bowl losses to Army, UCF, Houston and Texas Tech. Even the cream of the crop of the SEC in Bama, GA and TAMU have looked very beatable at times.

We'll see if Mich can run the ball. This is the best offensive line and running back group they have seen all season. Mich isn't going to be out-athleted by GA. They don't need to put up huge numbers in the run game but if they get enough to keep GA off balance, GA could be in for a very long day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News