ADVERTISEMENT

A Quarter of the CFB Season Almost Over—and the Tea Leaves are Starting to Give Us Reads

marinwolve

All-League
Aug 25, 2001
Most importantly, Michigan was underestimated. Even if the Washington win isn’t what we thought it would be, Western Michigan will prove to be a quality win and I have a hunch Washington ends up doing pretty well in the PAC 12 when it is all said and done. Mix in an NIU team that beat Georgia Tech that we didn’t just beat, we manhandled, and it adds up to this team having real potential to end up 9-3 or better. Again, ahead of where the pundits, including our own, had us.

Also significant is that Ohio State was overvalued from all appearances. Yes, Oregon had some talent, but they also missed two of their best players and still won in Columbus. We all know the problems they face on defense, but also don’t forget, they are led by a young QB who is going to suffer some growing pains. The game today against Tulsa was a 7 point difference into the 4th quarter. In years past, that game is a laugher, early. While they will improve as the season goes, so will we and other contenders. The point being, this year is starting to smell like something other than the Buckeyes and everyone else in the Big Ten.

MSU is 3-0 with wins over a degraded Northwestern team and a Miami team that is riding off of its past image and was in retrospect overly hyped, partly because of their opener against Alabama. That said, they have some momentum with a RB who is a tough runner and a QB who is clearly better than Rocky. Their defense is playing inspired even if they haven’t faced a real challenging offense yet. Much to be determined here; however, it is pretty apparent that this team is going to be harder to beat than what we expected. And that goes for the other teams they face as well.

Wisconsin/PSU: We will know more after tonight’s game against Auburn and Wisconsin’s game against ND. But I am not overwhelmed by either of these teams to date. I am beginning to believe we will win one of these two road trips. Not sure yet which one, but I’d put my money on the Wisconsin game at this stage. In any event, I expect us to be in both games until the end, and that is a big improvement over what we have done in the recent past. It also sets us up for a game against Ohio State that may with a win result in a divisional championship. Long way to go still but it is a must that we win one of these two games to have that shot.

Nebraska/Indiana: Indiana was clearly overvalued. If we are ready to go, and I suspect we will be, that’s a W. As for Nebraska, I suspect the close game with Oklahoma has more to do with Oklahoma not being as good as everyone thought and less to do with anything turning around in Lincoln. They have a long way to go before they represent much of a threat to any contender.

Iowa: Obviously, they were undervalued to begin with but now I’m thinking they have been elevated beyond where they will finish from a national perspective. Riding the wave of an opportunistic defense but being led by an unproven QB, they beat an ISU team that itself was likely overrated. I’m not sold on Iowa although it is hard to see who is going to beat them in the West. They get to the Big Ten championship game and lose it to whoever emerges from the East.

There is still 75% of the season to go and all of the Big Ten schedule ahead of us and, yet, the quarter that has passed is not to be discounted too heavily. We know a lot more now than we did three weeks ago. For the most part, it is good news. Enjoy the moment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News