ADVERTISEMENT

A certain blogger named Brian wrongly and arrogantly claimed...

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
that the atmosphere at Michigan Stadium needs to get back to the good old days and apparently will based on the feedback supposedly being given to Jim Hackett and some of Hackett's comments.

1) Harbaugh saying "I don't care" and "We don't need it" when asked about the piped in music drew Brian to the conclusion that Harbaugh is 100% against it. Saying I don't care or we don't need it is more indifference than total opposition. For every fan I have met or know personally who doesn't like the piped in music, I know one who does like it. I think there is far from a majority feeling on this issue.

2) The band playing more during games does not have to cause a complete elimination of the piped in music. And as one who likes the piped in music during games, I would agree it is too loud before the game but being too loud has an easy remedy. That remedy does not have to be complete elimination before or during games.

3) He mentions missing the quiet buzz of anticipation before a football game. If I want a quiet buzz of anticipation before an event I will go to an opera. Quiet buzzes don't excite players and fans, nor does it intimidate the opposition.

4) Going back to the quiet buzz will be step closer to what it used to be. Really? We want the atmosphere at Michigan Stadium to be what it used to be. Widely known as one of the quietest, least intimidating, sit on your hands, unenthusiastic crowds in all of major college football? They should be doing everything to get further away from what the atmosphere used to be. The atmosphere at Michigan Stadium, even for games against lesser opponents has been way better the last 7 years than it was the prior 40, and that was during what may have been the worst 7 years of Michigan football ever.

5) Piped in music is not a convenient way of masking that you have a lack of atmosphere. Not even close. In the NBA, college basketball, and college football programs that don't need a roadmap to figure out how to help create a great atmosphere (unlike Michigan), they get it. Michigan's old, arrogant fans who want to live in the 70's don't get.

This is all especially true when it comes to players and recruiting. Hopefully this blogger and others who feel the same way are not dominating Jim Hackett's ear because we will become the laughingstock of gameday atmospheres...again, as we used to be prior to entering the 21st century of gameday experiences 7 years ago.

just curious, how many games in michigan stadium have you been to and how far back do you go to have an expert opinion on how the good ol days were?

The whole argument about piped music versus band music is silly. Let's think more about the hoped improvement in the football team's play and record.

Originally posted by SkunkBear:
You abject moron.

You have zero idea of who this Brian is.
If he's "fuller" baloney like you, I know who it is. How's the ban? 2 more trolls gone from there yesterday and one from BWI.

Originally posted by jsj057897:
Grand Experiment= complete uninformed jackass. So glad this clown is a Um guy...
He hasn't posted in this thread, but if we're going to talk about random people we don't like....

Dantonio is a sour Muppet who whines to get "respect" every chance he gets.

Great coach. Even greater asshat.

I've been to UM games consistently since 1985...

and I'd have to say the piped in stuff, overall, has helped liven up the loudness of games, particularly against teams that otherwise are less than inspiring. In other words, you don't need to get a crowd amped for ND, OSU, or MSU, but against Northwestern, Iowa, Illinois, etc. it definitely does not hurt and likely stirs the noise level up. Against those types of teams, when UM is doing poorly, you could shout across endzones and be heard by the guy on the other side in the old days.

Agree w #4 completely, piped music, seems fake and concession in a major D1 football stadium. Never could figure out why other stadiums always had boisterous, loud crowds (see Neb) for loud, see boisterous and obnoxious for OldShitU. Would a changeover in the people sitting in the seats help, maybe it's time for ticket renewal to face some type of change. My den is so noisy that I have to quiet them down, in the stadium, they sit like they're enjoying an opera.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT