ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Hyman called up by Maple Leafs

I second that although he might more have hoped to be one of the lucky ones getting shipped out of the Leafs' organization in the last week. What a mess . . . in their nth year of rebuilding with no discernible plan that I can see.

Nothing earth shattering, but kind of cool video of Hyman speaking to the Toronto media after the game:

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/video/zach-hyman-02292016/t-277437436/c-41997803

He had a solid game, but didn't show up in the scoring column (the Leafs lost 2-1). Even on plus minus.

He was one of about 5 guys (give or take 1) making their NHL debuts for the Leafs, and I think about 8 guys making their Toronto debuts so it is kind of amazing how much media attention Hyman got in that clip. Nylander and Kapanen were the rookies the Toronto fan base were most interested in given where they were taken in the draft and how they'd done in international play. Hyman was more of a secondary guy (from a Leafs perspective) making his debut and still got a lot of attention.

Nothing earth shattering, but kind of cool video of Hyman speaking to the Toronto media after the game:

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/video/zach-hyman-02292016/t-277437436/c-41997803

He had a solid game, but didn't show up in the scoring column (the Leafs lost 2-1). Even on plus minus.

He was one of about 5 guys (give or take 1) making their NHL debuts for the Leafs, and I think about 8 guys making their Toronto debuts so it is kind of amazing how much media attention Hyman got in that clip. Nylander and Kapanen were the rookies the Toronto fan base were most interested in given where they were taken in the draft and how they'd done in international play. Hyman was more of a secondary guy (from a Leafs perspective) making his debut and still got a lot of attention.

I got to watch the game. He got top six forward minutes and acquitted himself VERY well. Was trusted to be on the ice at the end of the game when Leafs pulled their goalie and nearly bagged the tying goal.

I got to watch the game. He got top six forward minutes and acquitted himself VERY well. Was trusted to be on the ice at the end of the game when Leafs pulled their goalie and nearly bagged the tying goal.
Excellent! I didn't see any of the game, but from the couple of articles I've read plus your post it does sound very positive for Zach, which is great to hear. Hopefully they'll keep him up with the Leafs the rest of the year. He seems like the type of player who can thrive under Babcock because he plays hard all the time and plays a 200 foot game.

BTW I see that erstwhile recruit Connor Carrick (would have been a senior this year) is now playing D for Leafs, along with, of course Hunwick, who has been there all year and quite creditably is minus-1 for a team that has a minus-35 goal differential.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT