ADVERTISEMENT

Wings vs Pittsburgh

speedboys

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2001
Watched the TNT broadcast last night. First time in a long time. I thought the Wings played great but I was surprised at the condescending comments from the broadcast crew. I think the majority were from Ed Olczyk, which would not surprise me being that he is a former Blackhawk, and Brian Boucher. Kenny Albert seemed to be the one who was more even keel across both games.

Some of the comments were about the great play which Malkin made on his goal, one which was a pass from a player on the right side of the ice through the feet and sticks of the WIngs defense and then the shot was into the pad of Husso, the goalie, and sort of deflected into the left side of the net as he was going right to left. Hardly a buried shot into the net. Malkin is a great player but they went on and on about it, like it was a superb play. Ok, I understand the hype. ... Yet when the WIngs (DeBrincat, IIRC) scored into a wide open right side of the net on a pass from the left, it was a lucky play and pass. Gimme a break. This seemed to carry on throughout the game.

I recognize the Wings have not been really good in several years and the Pens have been a top team, but all they could do was blather about how great Crosby, Malkin, Karlson and LaTang were... The only accolades give the Wings seemed to be related to their speed, which was repeated quicker and faster than the Penguins. There were an occasional good comment about JT Compher and Copp play, but even those were sort of followed up by some snide backhanded comments.

I think they were shocked when the Wings actually won.

was curious is anyone else watched the game and came away with similar thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News