ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you think will be the starting QB this season?

Originally posted by smooth as butter:
Will it be the transfer from Iowa or one of the returning players.

The transfer from Iowa, (Jake Rudock). He was not brought here with one year of eligibility to back up Shane Morris. Morris will remain a backup his final two years and in the end, Malzone and Speicht will transfer in the wake of Gentry, Peters, and Korr as they battle it out.

Reactions: abqbone
Interesting thoughts. I tend to agree..a little different spin...

I would be surprised if Morris won the job but it's within reason that happens...unlikely. Morris is definitely going to have to improve on the short & intermediate routes and going through his reads. His best play seems to be the 'set' fade or deep ball where he only has to throw it...so to speak.

Rudock is the better Big Ten qb and Harbaugh along with most people realize UM doesn't need another throw away year. UM doesn't have to win the Big Ten title but it needs to win (minimum 8)...probably 9 games to really get the momentum going in the right direction. It is flowing positive now and it needs to show with the overall record including a nice bowl game.

Rudock does what a qb needs to do...won't be perfect but from what I see...is better by a decent amount that Morris or Malzone right now although I am all for competition.

I do think Morris will be the backup this year but not certain next year. All depends on development. I don't see Malzone transferring...he will only get better. I think Speight will probably transfer but that isn't a certainty. The bottom line...somebody will transfer by next year and the odds are someone outside the top 3.

Reality Man

Originally posted by scfanblue:

Originally posted by smooth as butter:
Will it be the transfer from Iowa or one of the returning players.

The transfer from Iowa, (Jake Rudock). He was not brought here with one year of eligibility to back up Shane Morris. Morris will remain a backup his final two years and in the end, Malzone and Speicht will transfer in the wake of Gentry, Peters, and Korr as they battle it out.
If I were Morris, I would be actively looking for a place to transfer in August if and when Rudock shows up and is clearly better. If he transfers before the season starts, he can redshirt next year while he sits out and preserve 2 years of eligibility to play. If he can't beat out Rudock on a couple weeks prep, he's not likely to beat out O'Korn and/or Gentry next year either.

I am picking Morris

If you look at the drops from the spring game, he would have been pretty accurate. He looked good in the bowl game 2013. I Watched the YouTube video of Rudduck, and I agree he was good, but not great. He is pretty slow and got sacked or rushed into a bad throw often. I think Morris has more talent, and he will excel with Harbaugh's coaching. I see him as a left handed Chad Henne.

This post was edited on 4/13 7:15 PM by BlueCoral

Rudock!
He reminds me of Drew Brees..
Uses his blockers well, stays in the pocket and finds his targets and is able
to move when he has to......and is very accurate with his throws.

Would that be possible/legal? That doesn't seem to sound right

If Morris even suits up and participates in one practice in August --- isn't that essentially a year spent at Michigan (for either red-shirting or playing)? E.g., if Morris participates in one practice in August 2015, he wouldn't be eligible at a new school until 2017-18?

I don't know, but if your hypothetical were possible (player starts practice in August but then decides to transfer when he doesn't win a starting job), it seems like more players would do that sort of thing.

Re: Would that be possible/legal? That doesn't seem to sound right

Originally posted by michnittlion:
If Morris even suits up and participates in one practice in August --- isn't that essentially a year spent at Michigan (for either red-shirting or playing)? E.g., if Morris participates in one practice in August 2015, he wouldn't be eligible at a new school until 2017-18?

I don't know, but if your hypothetical were possible (player starts practice in August but then decides to transfer when he doesn't win a starting job), it seems like more players would do that sort of thing.
My understanding is that you can transfer whenever you want, but you're not going to be eligible to participate at the new school until until one calendar year after you enrolled there has passed. So, theoretically, you could even play in a game for School A on September 1, for example. Then if you can transfer and enroll in a new school on September 5, you're going to be eligible to participate in games for the new school on September 6 of the next year.

We actually see this all the time in basketball because the season spans more than one academic semester. So a player plays half the season for one team then transfers. He's going to be eligible for the new team in the middle of the next season. In football, it doesn't do you any good to transfer in October or November, because you're not going to be able to enroll anywhere else at that point. But I think as long as you quit one program, get your release and are able to enroll somewhere else very quickly....you're good to go.

This is never going to be a very common thing because you still have to sit out a year. Morris is potentially a very unique case of a player who participated as both a freshman and sophomore...and then sees his path to playing time slammed shut. So he can transfer and then redshirt without losing any eligibility.

This post was edited on 4/15 2:35 PM by TDFever

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT