ADVERTISEMENT

Well that's a thing. Michigan sweeps Minnesota at Minnesota, winning tonight...

Puckhead

All-American
Jun 4, 2001
by a 3-1 score.

That's a pretty big weekend for Michigan and sets up the next big weekend; next week when they host Penn State for a pair. Penn State got blasted by OSU tonight which leaves Michigan now five points behind PSU so a sweep next week would move them into third one point ahead of PSU.

Wisconsin was leading MSU, but at the moment the scores from that game have disappeared. A Wisconsin win would leave them one point behind Michigan so Michigan sits alone in fourth right now.

They are playing pretty good, but there is still room for improvement. If they keep playing like this, things could get interesting here in the second half.

Hah what a strange place for the boys to be singing The Victors . . . the visitors' locker room at Mariucci!

Tonight we were completely smothering the usually highly-skilled Gophs (only 18 SOG allowed) and on the big ice no less. Who were those guys?

It’s interesting to see so many very average records in the B1G right now. Both for in conference and overall. The only teams with conference winning records are ND and OSU.

The team is making very good progress with the improvement, even if most of us consider it a month or two late. But I wonder if this core message is better carried over as it was at Tech.

This is a good sign.

I only saw the 3rd period, but I thought it was really impressive. Minnesota had to push for 2 and they barely sniffed the net. Guys were in position, made simple, smart plays, and that led to a perfectly boring period of hockey, which is what we needed.

We'll need that effort next weekend against PSU. I'd imagine there will be more action around our net and more chances for us to score as well. 4 points or more would be huge not only for the B1G, but also in the Pairwise since we'd win comparisons with both them and Minnesota.

We've got meaningful hockey at Yost in late January. I'm sure we all would have been happy had we been told that at the start of the year.

It’s interesting to see so many very average records in the B1G right now. Both for in conference and overall. The only teams with conference winning records are ND and OSU.

I think part of this, at least for the conference record, is that the Big Ten is finally, after several years, turning into the conference everyone sort of thought they would be when they formed. By that I mean a top heavy conference, full of tournament teams, that will spend the year beating the heck out of each other.

Other than Notre Dame, nobody has been able to get away from the pack. We have series coming up against both OSU and PSU, both of whom still have to play Notre Dame in the second half so Michigan certainly has a path to 2nd place, IF they can keep playing like they did the last couple of weekends.

We've seen little bursts like this before only to see the team fall back into bad habits down the stretch so I'm not letting myself look down the road or even think about any of that right now. I hope they just focus on Penn State and try to get those two games, then worry about the next set of games and so on through the rest of the season for however long that is.

And UM is tied with Minnesota at 15th in the power, and it was Friday's win that moved them from to 18, which was a little surprising. The big ten is strong so as long as they don't get swept they should have a shot at the tourney, though they'll probably be on the bubble most of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT