ADVERTISEMENT

We win 3-1

Spent way to much time playing in the Michigan zone, but I liked how they finished. The last 5 or 6 minutes of the game they had their best pressure of the night, keeping St. Lawrence tied up in their own zone for a lot of the time.

LaFontaine had a really good night, made all the saves he was supposed to and came up with 2 or 3 really great saves. Penalty kill was 100% and the PP was pretty good, I think 2 for 4 or 2 for 5, not a bad way to start things.

Nice win on the road, nice way to get things started. Be interesting to see how things go tomorrow night at Clarkson who just beat (10) Penn State 2-1.

Not a lot of games done yet, but Western dumped Ferris 6-1 and Michigan Tech defeated (16) Union 6-3 in the Ice Breaker.

There is actually a Big Ten game tonight as OSU is at Wisconsin.

Just heard on the post game show that Lavigne will start in goal tomorrow night so apparently musical chairs for the goalies will continue.

Last edited:
Reactions: damphousse25
Spent way to much time playing in the Michigan zone, but I liked how they finished. The last 5 or 6 minutes of the game they had their best pressure of the night, keeping St. Lawrence tied up in their own zone for a lot of the time.

LaFontaine had a really good night, made all the saves he was supposed to and came up with 2 or 3 really great saves. Penalty kill was 100% and the PP was pretty good, I think 2 for 4 or 2 for 5, not a bad way to start things.

Nice win on the road, nice way to get things started. Be interesting to see how things go tomorrow night at Clarkson who just beat (10) Penn State 2-1.

Not a lot of games done yet, but Western dumped Ferris 6-1 and Michigan Tech defeated (16) Union 6-3 in the Ice Breaker.

Just heard on the post game show that Lavigne will start in goal tomorrow night so apparently musical chairs for the goalies will continue.
It was like a different team came out for the third. Our zone exits were cleaner, we started getting some speed through the neutral zone, and the sustained pressure that you brought up.

I thought our defensive positioning all night was vastly superior to last year. Even when St L got zone time, they weren't firing pucks left and right with uncovered men in front of the net.

Puck movement on the power play was another positive, especially on Calderone's goal. The even strength play between Martin and Roos for the 3rd was nice too.

Hopefully we can chalk up getting pinned in the 1st and 2nd to a team learning its new system and playing its first real competition. We definitely need to fix that before seeing the Minnesotas and Penn States of the world. I'll be curious to see how we do in that regard tonight.

All in all, a good start. Always better to learn lessons in a win.

After the first fairly full night of college hockey there were some few upsets (welcome to week 1).

As mentioned before in the Big Ten #19 OSU defeated #12 Wisconsin, 3-2. This was at Wisconsin so big road win for the Buckeyes in a conference game.

In Hockey East unranked New Hampshire defeated #5 UMass-Lowell, 4-2. This was at UMass-Lowell so another big road win in a conference game for New Hampshire.

In non-conference play the first upset of the day goes to unranked Clarkson who defeated #10 Penn State, 2-1. This was played at Clarkson, the team Michigan will play tonight (Saturday).

While not a loss, an interesting outcome none-the-less as unranked Alaska Anchorage played #7 North Dakota to a 1-1 draw.

Maybe a little less dramatic but in the Ice Breaker tournament unranked Michigan Tech defeated #16 Union, 6-3. Big win for the Huskies in their first game with a new coach.

Finally in the other Ice Breaker game, #6 Minnesota-Duluth defeated #3 Minnesota, 3-2 in OT to setup a match between Minnesota-Duluth and Michigan Tech.

In other news that isn't news, the rumor is that the GLI this year will be played on January 1-2 which if true would be a tough stretch of play for Michigan. I assume they will have at least a couple of players at the WJC leaving them short handed for this tournament as usual, but because this would be the first week of January Michigan would only have a couple of days off to get ready for there 2nd half opener against Notre Dame. Could be a bunch of tired Wolverines by the end of this week.

Nothing is official on this yet, just heard on the wind. I've looked at the schedule for Little Caesars Arena and they are jam packed, with the Red Wings and Pistons both playing there along with various concerts and things, open slots are going to be hard to come by. I see two openings on their schedule right now; the 27th and 28th of December (this would be a more traditional spot for the GLI and much preferred over those January dates) and then there are the two days January 1st and 2nd which would suck not just for the already mentioned tired factor when having to play Notre Dame in less than a week, but having this tournament open on New Years Day is probably going to lead to really small crowds. You pit this hockey tournament against probably the single biggest day of college football of the year (except perhaps for the NC game), the day after New Years Eve when nobody wants to go anywhere (unless it's to a football watching party) and you have a recipe for an inauspicious start for the GLI at the LCA (at least as far as attendance is concerned).

One thing that I liked about the "poor zone control" was that they really didn't panic. They had plenty of chances to, but just kept working toward what we saw in the 3rd period.

At least I hope that's right- the view we saw didn't give us a good view of the details. But given that we didn't see too many bad turn overs- that makes me think that.

And 100% with the comment about LaFontaine. Again, it's hard to see, but given the saves, he had some good poise out there- since St. Lawrence got behind us a few times for some great chances.

A+B means that better D let LaFontaine not have to bail the team out too many times. And that's a great sign.

Well no one has said this out loud but - last year's team would have likely blown this road game in the last 5 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT