ADVERTISEMENT

Upon Rewatch - Offense

mc3022

Sophomore
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2023
So, I'll start with this and say that the performance was much closer to a 40-45-point offensive night than most people realize. I agree with Sherrone that they will get better. While there were a ton of mistakes, to be expected with Week 1, it was mostly one guy or one thing that took a chunk of play away.

Davis Warren
I am down more than initially thought on Davis Warren's performance. While I thought he was poised and threw a good ball, he was predetermining his throws and wasn't going through his progressions. He had a few plays that were there to Semaj and Morgan in particular that were developing with good protection around him. His internal clock was going off too fast - perhaps due to playing our defense all summer/camp. I do think he can be a good quarterback. This was his first real action in any game, as most backups at least get garbage time. From that perspective, he played well.

I'm slightly disappointed in the coaches with the personnel decisions and rotation. While I'm hoping that it was pre-determined for this game, that hasn't been the case historically. I have no interest in seeing other WRs besides Semaj and Morgan unless they need a blow. There is no reason to play Kendrick Bell or O'Leary while guys like Klein and DE sit on the sideline. You need to do a better job of formulating your game plan to maximize your best players as opposed to fitting a system.

Other random thoughts

- As Expected, Mullings will be our workhouse back - Edwards was fine, not great, but I thought it was telling that Mullings was the back in crunch time. Hoping those two can play together more
- Orji missed two chuck plays in the 3rd Q with his legs. Just needed to follow his blocks
- Loveland is now a complete TE - He does a much better job of inline blocking this year
- Giudice plays way too high. Got blown off the ball on a few plays, including that 3rd and inches. Surprised he beat out Crippen with that effort
- Priebe had a below-average game, too - expected better from a 3-year starter. El-Hadi was fine outside of that sack he gave up
- Link and Hinton had SOLID games - Link looks like he's going to be a stud and did a fantastic job on former 5 star Foreman
- When the O line decided enough was enough, they moved folks off the ball. A promising sign of things to come.
- Fresno is a good team, and we didn't take them seriously.

I do expect a much better game plan/product next week, and Once Warren slows his clock down, the offense will show much better. UT is going to have to be one-dimensional to beat us.

If the offense can control the clock and get Semaj, Morgan, and DE more involved, we will win next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.