ADVERTISEMENT

Time to consider B1G expansion again?

YouSayPotato

Jul 23, 2021
Purdue guy here. Thought I'd float this by you guys.

If Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC, it might be time to reconsider B1G expansion. I'll begin with some observations.

1) Both the ACC Network and the Pac-12 Network are train wrecks.
2) Academics matter - AAU preferred.
3) Both Texas A&M and Mizzou said to be adamantly opposed to Texas joining SEC.
4) Notre Dame isn't joining a conference.

Best option: Texas and Oklahoma if SEC deal fails.
Second best option: Mizzou quits SEC and joins B1G + Colorado quits PAC-12 (low TV revenue and nasty logistics to the West Coast).
Third best option: UVA + UNC
Fourth best option: Georgia Tech (Atlanta TV market) + Clemson (Clemson already grumbling about low TV revenue and they make the most in the AAC).

Purdue guy here. Thought I'd float this by you guys.

If Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC, it might be time to reconsider B1G expansion. I'll begin with some observations.

1) Both the ACC Network and the Pac-12 Network are train wrecks.
2) Academics matter - AAU preferred.
3) Both Texas A&M and Mizzou said to be adamantly opposed to Texas joining SEC.
4) Notre Dame isn't joining a conference.

Best option: Texas and Oklahoma if SEC deal fails.
Second best option: Mizzou quits SEC and joins B1G + Colorado quits PAC-12 (low TV revenue and nasty logistics to the West Coast).
Third best option: UVA + UNC
Fourth best option: Georgia Tech (Atlanta TV market) + Clemson (Clemson already grumbling about low TV revenue and they make the most in the AAC).
I rather go after Stanford and Syracuse for their market and brand.
throw in USC and ND for another great rivalry but ND just won’t so…how about UCLA and USC? reach further maybe Washington and Syracuse

Syracuse and Rutgers and Maryland. Those would help attract more DMV talent and with NIL…Syracuse I wouldnt hurt I would imagine?

If it's not Texass and Oklahomo then B1G should not expand. Those two would have been perfect for the weak-ass West division giving the conference a much needed balancing.

Really don't understand the lure of going to SEC where those two teams will be lost in the mix most years having 2 or 3+ losses every year. I don't see either of them winning that conference in the foreseeable future. Mediocrity and irrelevancy await them.

B1G is good on teams they just need to shuffle the divisions. Putting OSU and Michigan in the same division was utterly stupid (smart people knew that from the beginning) let alone with Pedd State and MSU who were both experiencing a resurgence in football.

What about OK st? 93 wins in the past 10 years in football 9 bowl bids and 5 NCAA BB bids and the wrestling is pretty good there too.

• Sad
Reactions: GoBlueJagaloon
Pitt was usually mentioned in tandem with Notre Dame during expansion talk some years ago. Their football team isn’t what it once was but it’s a good school, is solidly within the geographical footprint, and resurrects the Pitt-PSU rivalry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT