ADVERTISEMENT

This frustrated me with Wetzel

Trevor McCue

Senior Editor
Staff
Feb 2, 2022
Have to vent, because this is why people think every one is out to get Michigan.

One, I felt his comments in the documentary were far less cynical about Michigan compared to what we've seen in his reporting and in podcasts. He played up the most important part, they won without Stalions and proved it didn't matter.

Two, at one point in the documentary he says they decided to investigate how prevalent the sign stealing was. He talks about filing FOIA requests and looking into "known sign stealers." Now, not only do we know they have estimated 80-90% of teams have a designated sign stealer who does this work primarily, but Wetzel says in the documentary that they found five schools that were doing "the same thing", implying sending people to games. Also suggests if the NCAA dug into it more it would be far worse, that the sign stealing culture in college football is out of control essentially.

So....why do all the journalistic work, investigation, filing FOIA requests, etc to find out information like that and not report it? Why were the the other five schools not ever reported? Similar with the Washington Post reporter, why is no interested in revealing more about the third party firm and who paid them?

Even if I pretend I'm not a Michigan fan, this seems absurd. If I'm a Michigan State fan and I think this is the worst scandal in the history of college football and you're telling me its wide spread and you know about five other schools??? Who are they?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.