ADVERTISEMENT

There just are no words...

Puckhead

All-American
Jun 4, 2001
Michigan went to Wisconsin needing a win badly. They were in the game until midway through the 3rd, then as usual it all went to crap.

In the final 10 minutes they give up 3 goals. The lost 2-5. Two of those goals were scored in the final 3 minutes.

Just what more can be said that hasn't been said?

Well I have some words. It was generally a pretty good effort except for, as too often this season, the last 10 minutes. Also as "usual" - we make 3 or 4 bad plays in our zone and they all wind up in our net; while at the other end, we lack the skill to score on the 9 or 10 Grade A chances we had.

Being that we gave a solid effort for 50 minutes tonight we will crap the bed Saturday since we never have enough to go for 2 days in a row. This team surly has a Mental block and the staff has no clue how to fix this other than play out the schedule and go recruiting once the season is over. 2 wins in the BT total ,once this is over. "74

Unlike Friday night, we actually converted some chances. But like Friday night, 5 or 6 defensive breakdowns or poor effort plays resulted in 5 o6 6 goals for the opponent. Both of this weekend's games were winnable.

We have not seen the bottom yet . What has the staff done or are doing to get this at least at even keel? "74

Went to both games this weekend and quite frankly there just aren't more than 2 players on this team that I remotely enjoy watching. 5 years from now, Lockwood is the only player on this team I'll even remember.

There's just nothing enjoyable about this. Even the Rutledge team was at least somewhat interesting because you knew there was some talent there hamstrung by awful goaltending.

I don't get why they play Nagelvoort. You have two freshmen and Nagelvoort isn't better than either of them, so what's the point not the big problem, I just think it's weird.

The next time I read a preseason article about how the defense is going to be the strength of the team......feel like I have been hearing that for years and they're never actually good.

I feel the same way about this bunch I felt back in October. I don't see it with Luke Martin. He's OK, but for a guy that was originally talked of as a possible first or second rounder, major disappointment. I've only seen him a couple of times, but Luce is as bad as any D I've seen come through here. He's young, so hopefully he'll get better, but woof.

I did like the way Cutler was throwing his weight around last night. What really struck me is that they just seem slow. It's been years and years since a Michigan team didn't have speed. Outside of Lockwood and Sanchez, there aren't a lot of guys that can skate. And certainly no burners.

I feel bad for Red that he's going out like this. I knew it was going to be a rough year with the 5 guys that turned pro, but it's too bad that this is the way it ends.

I can't get behind a Wiseman hire. We've been terrible since he's been here. It's undoubtedly not all his fault, and I'm not saying that, but he'd have no chance at the job if he didn't play/coach here and I'm not interested in Brady Hokeing a top 5 job in this sport.

Pearson would be the safe hire and I'm sure he'd do fine. I'd be really curious to see the names on the list before I roll with him though. Leaman is still the guy I want. I haven't loved Blashill with the Wings but Holland gave him a dumpster fire of a team. If he gets canned, that'd be intriguing as well.

If you read Red's post-Saturday-night comments from the last 3 or 4 weekends played, as reported by Orion Sang, he is pretty direct and pretty much right on every week. This weeks summary: We can't keep up with our own mistakes.

And yes, as a team they are slow. That has been glaring since the first few weeks of the season. (Unfortunately in college hockey you can't try to make up for lack of speed by having your big slow players check the heck out of the opponent.) While that translates into week offense which in turn (in my few of hockey) translates into spending a lot of time in your D-zone, it is still frustrating to see the same defensive mistakes made week after week. Of Wisconsin's 11 goals this weekend, I think all but the SH breakaway were scored by uncovered Badgers who were within 5 feet of the net (and of course a SH breakaway goal is its own problem).

If you read Red's post-Saturday-night comments from the last 3 or 4 weekends played, as reported by Orion Sang, he is pretty direct and pretty much right on every week. This weeks summary: We can't keep up with our own mistakes.

And yes, as a team they are slow. That has been glaring since the first few weeks of the season. (Unfortunately in college hockey you can't try to make up for lack of speed by having your big slow players check the heck out of the opponent.) While that translates into week offense which in turn (in my few of hockey) translates into spending a lot of time in your D-zone, it is still frustrating to see the same defensive mistakes made week after week. Of Wisconsin's 11 goals this weekend, I think all but the SH breakaway were scored by uncovered Badgers who were within 5 feet of the net (and of course a SH breakaway goal is its own problem).

This part of your statement right here: it is still frustrating to see the same defensive mistakes made week after week

It's one thing to lose when your working hard and at least improving, but as you say, this bunch is making the exact same mistakes today that they were making in the first exhibition game of the season. Just looks like zero improvement for anybody on this team.

To Packer487 about not getting behind a Wiseman hire. I can't see how anybody on this current staff could possibly be considered for the job (assuming, which I think most of us are, that Red is gone after this year). If there is a change after this season I don't know how anybody currently on the staff hangs on to work with the next head guy unless it's a Hoke type hire that puts a caretaker in charge hoping for things to get better; that would be a disaster.

To sum up, this team is just painful to watch.

This part of your statement right here: it is still frustrating to see the same defensive mistakes made week after week

It's one thing to lose when your working hard and at least improving, but as you say, this bunch is making the exact same mistakes today that they were making in the first exhibition game of the season. Just looks like zero improvement for anybody on this team.

To Packer487 about not getting behind a Wiseman hire. I can't see how anybody on this current staff could possibly be considered for the job (assuming, which I think most of us are, that Red is gone after this year). If there is a change after this season I don't know how anybody currently on the staff hangs on to work with the next head guy unless it's a Hoke type hire that puts a caretaker in charge hoping for things to get better; that would be a disaster.

To sum up, this team is just painful to watch.
From a movie: "make it stop." "74

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT