ADVERTISEMENT

Theory on the resistance of lower ranked guys...

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
The 'reality' of the current environment is that UM is a 2nd tier football program at best until proven otherwise.

Recruiting under the radar guys is an acknowledgement that UM isn't USC, Alabama, OSU, etc. It's really competing against MSU & PSU & Wiscy for players. I think that is a fair assessment.

Hoke was more popular than RR because he not only recruited like he was a power program but said all the right things (early). Harbaugh has done the exact opposite. He acknowledges the in-state power (MSU) and isn't trying to beat the powers at their game...but at his game....the Stanford game.

He realized Stanford wasn't USC. He realizes UM isn't OSU. So what does he do...he creates a different mousetrap. A national under the radar mousetrap going after above average athletes who are tough but may not be as big and fast as the guys who play at Alabama, etc. Guys who don't think are entitled to start at UM.

This is Harbaugh...the meritocracy comment. Guys who are willing to put up with his 'stuff'. Heard things about Isaac. Maybe Harbaugh realizes these guys aren't willing to play by his rules. I don't think his mindset is going to change.

I think Harbaugh is going to scout and develop and build his own unique brand of football and the entitlement/star mentality is going bye bye. He will get plenty of highly ranked guys but I think fans need to adjust their expectations. UM is going to be run more like Stanford and less like USC.

Reality Man

so USC got a few years of suspension yet recruited top players. Neither Lame or Sark is/was the coach Carroll is/was. I think the parallels between JH and PC are pretty interesting -- with strong running games and high intensity.

And who gives a rip about star ratings anyway? There's enough posting on this board to disprove more interest and conversation. JH knows it starts with QBs as history has shown. Wasn't Ryan a low 3-star that was recruited because RR realized he had no defenders? If UM becomes anywhere like Stanford, without the ridiculous academic constraints, it becomes a world beater.

Coaches don't look at Star rankings, that's for fans. But the reasons players have high Star rankings, are for many of the same attributes in which the coaches are searching.

The OP is justifying and rationalizing. Harbaugh is trying to recruit prospects that are 4-5 Stars. He's getting some, but also knows that right now because of the recent Michigan football brand and lack of relationships with coaches and players he's not getting all that he would like. So he 's taking some recruits that happen to be lower rated relatively speaking. If he is successful at UM, he will have more opportunity to bring in the guys Alabama, USC, and OSU are currently recruiting, and the number of under the radar guys will be less and less.

Reactions: Westcoast24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT