ADVERTISEMENT

The state of Michigan and hockey recruiting

BradyThomas

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
The state of Michigan has been the lifeblood of Wolverine hockey of late--Trouba, Werenski, Larkin, Connor, Motte, Copp, Lockwood...

Interestingly, MLive had a story on the top 25 Michigan born hockey players of all time and none of them went to Michigan but five went to MSU (Ryan Miller, Kelly Miller, Mike York, Torey Krug and Justin Abdelkader), two to Miami (Alec Martinez and Andy Greene), two to Lake State (Brian Rolston and Doug Weight), one to Ohio State (Ryan Kesler), and one to Wisconsin (Brian Rafalski). Werenski, Trouba and Larkin might one day make the list--#24 and #25 are Krug and Abdelkader. It seems like with the NTDP more of the elite Michigan players are going on to college now than in the past even if they leave early. Many of those kids have gone on to Michigan.

Unfortunately, the 2001 NTDP invite list came out today and Michigan has no commits so far. To be fair, Wolverine commit D Mike Vukojevic of Mississauga is arguably as good as any D on the list. Still, the NTDP has been the lifeblood of Michigan hockey recruiting--Jack Johnson, Werenski, Larkin, Motte, Copp. From the current team--Boka, Luke Martin, Luce, Lockwood, Sanchez, Pastujov, Allen and Kile as well as many of the best incoming recruits--Josh Norris, Mike Pastujov and Quinn Hughes next year and Mattias Samuelsson and Blade Jenkins the following year. Michigan could potentially add uncommitted Jack Hughes (Quinn's brother), Arthur Kaliyev or Johnny Beecher. Honeybaked's Josh Nodler (MSU) and Belle Tire's Marcus Gretz (OSU) have already committed elsewhere.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
Is Mattias Samuelsson's brother Lukas still starting at Michigan this fall (2017)?

Interestingly, he has a LinkedIn page that says he is a student at U of M.

Not enough talent out there to continuously replace the one and dones like Larkin and Connor. Coaches would not have expected that before they entered the program.

Outside of Lockwood, the current Ntdp players at Michigan do not stand out on the ice. Rather average.

In this era of early recruiting, I think Michigan has struggled since the top players they identified at 15 have not continued to develop much, excluding the first round type talents.

I hope they act quickly on the head coaching position. New coach needs to hit the recruiting road hard.
It'll be good to have a fresh start for the program, a breath of fresh air to give some hope to both players and followers.

I don't have any inside info, but if it is DC, that's a really, really good hire.

I don't have any inside info, but if it is DC, that's a really, really good hire.

Also, if it is, I almost feel sorry for MSU. Not because we got him, but because they re-upped the commish, when DC would have been a far better choice, letting the commish finish out the contract. And at that point, IMHO, DC has a good reason to turn his back on MSU.

If it is true.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT