ADVERTISEMENT

The Floor of Milton...

Mich Fan

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2001
Stayed off the site for a while, because, quite frankly, last week was a disaster and I had no desire to relive it by reading about it.

That being said, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's been covered and I haven't seen it already, but last week was what many were worried about by naming Milton the starter so early and essentially losing McCaffrey to the transfer portal because of it(mods or other insiders can correct if that's not true, but that's the impression I have). Everything that was brought up as a potential pitfall transpired last Saturday.
1. He made terrible choices in the read option run game, gave to the RB at least 5 times in the run game when he should have kept(and left a bunch of yards on the field as a result.
2. His Accuracy issues popped up, especially when throwing downfield, his long balls especially never even gave a receiver a chance they were so far off.
3. His ability to read a defense and go through progressions was basically non-existent, seemed to always pre determine where he would throw the ball based on pre-snap defensive alignment, and as a result threw into coverage numerous times.

The offense looked like crap as a result, and there were certainly some OL issues that didn't help him out. The problem is, McCaffrey has proven, in limited time, that he makes excellent decisions in the run game, has an accurate arm, and at least had demonstrated some ability to read a defense and go through progressions, hell, had he not gotten injured last year he probably would have unseated Patterson. The staffs decision to anoint Milton the starter before they even put on pads in Fall camp was idiotic roster management, and cost them a game they could/should have won had they at least kept McCaffrey engaged on the team(in a free eligibility year to boot).

Don't know, that loss has dampened my enthusiasm a great deal to even follow the team the rest of this year, hopefully they can at least use it as a developmental year, because any and all goals are thrown out for this one after a loss like that, IMO.

On a side note, something has neutered Harbaugh, this is not the same guy, and these are not the same teams he had as far as competitive fire as all his teams showed through 2016(there were robbed in Columbus, but they were the better, more physical team by a mile), he and they have been different since, in a bad way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.