ADVERTISEMENT

The Dust has Settled...Thoughts on Hires

Dec 4, 2017
Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the finalization of the coaching search.

You can provide an explanation if you want, but I like categories, so I figured to put a few together if anyone wants to use the template.

Favorite/best hire: Maurice Linguist; hard for me to not say Mike Hart, but RB recruiting and development as a whole has been pretty good. But, I think we needed a very strong recruiter for defensive backs as the talent level has been sorely depleted. Young, proven, this to me is a homerun. My only concern is he moves around a lot. So maybe this is just another jumping off point.

Least favorite/worst hire: George Helow. Wording is harsh, but lets just say I'm just not super inspired by his hire. He's got some interning at big name schools, but no position coaching at them, and for the most part, the results have been meh. Haven't seen his recruiting chops, but again, not inspired

Wish they would have hired: I would have like to see Tim Banks here. Clearly they're not going with experience on the defensive side and look to be going recruiting hungry. A combination of Linguist and Banks as Co-DC would severely lock down the state for recruiting, branch into Texas, and elsewhere and at least provided some experience play calling compared to MacDonald.

Biggest question mark: Mike MacDonald. Zero recruiting experience, zero coordinating experience. Again, if you're not going to get a Don Brown hire, maybe catch a rising star here, but man, there's just not much known about this guy to step in to a pretty high profile/pressure position

Happiest that stayed: Sherrone Moore. He's wanted out there, and he's our best recruiter. Would like to see more improvement from the TE position, but not sure if that's the plays being called or what.

Glad to be gone: Sorry, Ben McDaniels, keep clinging to that last name, because I am still unsure what exactly you did here. Did he recruit JJ McCarthy? I'm sure he was involved, but pretty sure he was not the reason JJ chose UM. And the QB play and development has probably be the biggest disappointment of the Harbaugh era, especially recently.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.