ADVERTISEMENT

Teach this ole guy. Many said that RED was correct about this team. They are slow!

wolverines74

Heisman
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
So why in Heaven's name did we sign these slow kids? What was so good about them that folks here have said there are very few that can go Pro. Is the coaching staff and HC as responsible ,or more so of this team's season? Thanks GBGB "74

They had a bunch of role players coming in this year and then had to find a few more when not one or two players left early for the pro's, but five players left early. That's a lot even for Michigan and a lot to have to back fill. I don't think anyone thought that many players were going to leave early. Everybody pretty much figured that Connor and Werenski were going to leave, but then Motte, Comphor, and Downing all left early. You have to wonder how many of those guys are liking that choice right now. A couple of them got shots at making NHL rosters early in the season, but right now the only one playing in the NHL is Werenski, the rest are all playing at one level or another of their NHL teams farm system.

Next years group is supposed to be pretty talented if I recall correctly (I don't pay a lot of attention to recruiting, but I think that's what people have been saying). So the strategy would seem to have been bring the role players in this year, when they expected to have experienced leaders and scorers to help bring them along then get a fresh influx of higher level talent next year. Of course if this was the strategy it all blew up when the guys expected to be those leaders left early.

There were a couple of guys in this years class that look like they are going to be pretty good, but they had to take on a much larger role right out of the gate than they would have had to if a couple of those guys hadn't left early. That's a hard thing to ask a freshman to do all while getting acclimated to university classes as well as the grind of a Division I season.

Reactions: wolverines74
Puckhead covered the departures so I won't rehash other than to say that a Compher-Motte-Lockwood 1st line with a Marody-Warren-Calderone 2nd leaves our role players in a pretty good spot.

On the other hand about speed, has anyone else noticed that our best games have come with a slower line-up? BU and OSU both came with the role players playing a larger part or even leading the way.

Reactions: wolverines74
They had a bunch of role players coming in this year and then had to find a few more when not one or two players left early for the pro's, but five players left early. That's a lot even for Michigan and a lot to have to back fill. I don't think anyone thought that many players were going to leave early. Everybody pretty much figured that Connor and Werenski were going to leave, but then Motte, Comphor, and Downing all left early. You have to wonder how many of those guys are liking that choice right now. A couple of them got shots at making NHL rosters early in the season, but right now the only one playing in the NHL is Werenski, the rest are all playing at one level or another of their NHL teams farm system.

Next years group is supposed to be pretty talented if I recall correctly (I don't pay a lot of attention to recruiting, but I think that's what people have been saying). So the strategy would seem to have been bring the role players in this year, when they expected to have experienced leaders and scorers to help bring them along then get a fresh influx of higher level talent next year. Of course if this was the strategy it all blew up when the guys expected to be those leaders left early.

There were a couple of guys in this years class that look like they are going to be pretty good, but they had to take on a much larger role right out of the gate than they would have had to if a couple of those guys hadn't left early. That's a hard thing to ask a freshman to do all while getting acclimated to university classes as well as the grind of a Division I season.

Thanks JZ and Puck . They sure did play well last night 1-0 over the Buckeyes. I don't hink they have much left in the tank after the season ends. The BTT could be fun ,but realistically I see us one , done ,and then golfing for Red and staff. You guys have always been helpful and I'm truly grateful for such friends on the Wolverine boards.. Always fun when we do the pick'em contests a the end but without UM it's boring. GBGB"74

74, my pleasure. I wish I had better insights to add. Most likely, you're right on the BTT. When you look at how the team has faded over the course of games, it's hard to see winning 3 in 3 days. The next 2 weeks will tell us if last night was them figuring it out or if it was just a fun anomaly. A performance like that combined with up and down opposition and a truly neutral atmosphere might find us a win or two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT