ADVERTISEMENT

So would hiring a parent of a recruit (legal) be considered

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
bagmenish? How about that word?

Now onto the real question. Why wouldn't a school just create 4 year positions and fund them through the boosters to recruit high level athletes. What parent from a lower income household not want to get paid well and watch their son/daughter play plus the kid would be more inclined to stick around.

Here are some following positions.

1. Director of student emotional well being
2. Affairs coordinator for student athlete intimacy relationships
3. University representative for student athlete social responsibilities
4. Assistant to student athlete racial and gender equality behavior

Would fit right in at UM.

RM

Here is how I see it.

Give Harbaugh credit for working the system. It is what it is but why don't deep pocket programs just bribe everyone. It's not like they can't spend a 100,000 for each job and create basically a total of 40 (4 years x 10/yr) positions and find it somewhere in the budget.

Just make them admin/PR positions. The NCAA is asleep at the switch.

RM

Reactions: wolverines74
Here is how I see it.

Give Harbaugh credit for working the system. It is what it is but why don't deep pocket programs just bribe everyone. It's not like they can't spend a 100,000 for each job and create basically a total of 40 (4 years x 10/yr) positions and find it somewhere in the budget.

Just make them admin/PR positions. The NCAA is asleep at the switch.

RM
More like the NCAA is OLD, out of date as well as out of shape. A bunch of old fogies who are out of touch with the 21st century. They don't have many working to check things out due to their own fault ( cheap) "74

bagmenish? How about that word?

Now onto the real question. Why wouldn't a school just create 4 year positions and fund them through the boosters to recruit high level athletes. What parent from a lower income household not want to get paid well and watch their son/daughter play plus the kid would be more inclined to stick around.

Here are some following positions.

1. Director of student emotional well being
2. Affairs coordinator for student athlete intimacy relationships
3. University representative for student athlete social responsibilities
4. Assistant to student athlete racial and gender equality behavior

Would fit right in at UM.

RM

Sure --- it's definitely "bagman - ish."

But, that's where we are these days. There is basically NO school who doesn't do "bagman - ish" things. Basically anything goes in the recruiting world today.

Lloyd and Joe Tressel and Joe Tiller --- their "gentlemen's agreement" wasn't that long ago (9 years). But it seems positively quaint anymore, from the era of 1950s-Pleasantville

Texas was ahead of the curve....

Young works for the University of Texas as a development officer in its division of diversity and community engagement.

He returned to his alma mater, where he led the Longhorns to a national championship in 2005, following his retirement and took a position specifically created for him that pays $100,000 annually

Sure --- it's definitely "bagman - ish."

But, that's where we are these days. There is basically NO school who doesn't do "bagman - ish" things. Basically anything goes in the recruiting world today.

Lloyd and Joe Tressel and Joe Tiller --- their "gentlemen's agreement" wasn't that long ago (9 years). But it seems positively quaint anymore, from the era of 1950s-Pleasantville

Equating the hiring of a perfectly-qualified coach who has a talented son is the same as boosters lurking in the shadows handing off bags of money?

LOL.

And you're saying he can't hire Johnson - because the man has a talented son.

No college program can hire him, then right???

The stir-the-pot posturing of the OP was just that, logic be damned.

You jumped right in. Sploosh!

Congrats.

Go Blue. Always.

Equating the hiring of a perfectly-qualified coach who has a talented son is the same as boosters lurking in the shadows handing off bags of money?

LOL.

And you're saying he can't hire Johnson - because the man has a talented son.

No college program can hire him, then right???

The stir-the-pot posturing of the OP was just that, logic be damned.

You jumped right in. Sploosh!

Congrats.

Go Blue. Always.

I didn't say that. You're putting words in my mouth. Of course Harbaugh (or any of the other 128 FBS college football programs) can hire him.

But there's a reason the NCAA is considering their current legislation as regards hiring a coach and signing said coach's son in the near-future.

I didn't say that. You're putting words in my mouth. Of course Harbaugh (or any of the other 128 FBS college football programs) can hire him.

But there's a reason the NCAA is considering their current legislation as regards hiring a coach and signing said coach's son in the near-future.

The "reason" is, people are crying. That's it.

Qualified man, above-board hire, yet it's Harbaugh and the crocodile tears are flowing liberally.

There's no real bone to pick - unless one is fabricated. It's that simple.

And I would just love the NCAA to try to prevent a similar hire, they'd be reaching into those deep and dirty pockets after resounding defeat in a court of law. Here's hoping they try.

Go BLUE. Always.

The "reason" is, people are crying. That's it.

Qualified man, above-board hire, yet it's Harbaugh and the crocodile tears are flowing liberally.

There's no real bone to pick - unless one is fabricated. It's that simple.

And I would just love the NCAA to try to prevent a similar hire, they'd be reaching into those deep and dirty pockets after resounding defeat in a court of law. Here's hoping they try.

Go BLUE. Always.

If a majority of the member NCAA schools don't view this as "bagman - ish", then the legislation won't pass. Simple as that.

I guess you believe this is just another case of member NCAA schools trying to keep down "the man" (if "the man" is the correct way to refer to a program with consecutive 3rd place finishes in their division, which is debatable), right?

Why did you capitalize "blue" in this post and not in your first one?

How others "see" the hire is irrelevant.

Repeat, irrelevant.

Why, because it is Johnson's right to work where he is offered work.

Let's see a room full of NCAA stumblebums try to deny that right.

What you or anyone else thinks, is completely and utterly irrelevant.

If Michigan offered Johnson a job as a janitor and he accepted, nothing could be said. Not. a. single. thing.

And, the fact he has a highly-rated footballer for a son = irrelevant.

What if he had a daughter who was an Olympic-calibre swimmer?

Or better yet, three daughters with gold-medal promise in the pool?

Or two more sons playing five-star calibre football?

I r r e l e v a n t.

It's a free country, and you don't discriminate, else you run into severe legal issues.

Just because some slack-jawed gawkers are crying:

a) is not sufficient grounds for any action, and,

b) would be laughed right out of court, and the NCAA would lose - and lose large - with any attempt to block the hire.

They won't because they know they cannot.

But I'd LOVE for them to try.

As for what I think (also irrelevant, but you asked)

I think it's a great hire. There's nothing in Johnson's background that suggest otherwise.

The fact the hire rankles SEC slappies - is fantastic - and every fan of above-board practices should feel the same.

Real cheating goes in the SEC and squawks about a lack of ethics from fans of THEIR practices is beyond funny and deliciously ironic.

Folks down there don't like Jimmy because he's taking them on in an above-board manner.

What they really want is for him to actually cheat like they do, or go away.

He's doing neither.

I love it.

Go BLUE. Always.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoBlue_since1985
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT