ADVERTISEMENT

So who are the possible Red replacements?

clevelandcane

Heisman
Aug 9, 2001
Red seems done to me. Great coach. Great person. Seems like the program is stagnating these last 5 years.

Who are the likely replacements?

Mel Pearson is the popular choice but to me there's no guarantee he leaves his alma mater.

I have nothing to base this on, but I wonder if John Madden would be a candidate. Alum, well-regarded NHL assistant, currently head coach in the AHL. Not saying he'd even be interested, but interesting to think about.

Reactions: clevelandcane
Exactly, you can't field a top program if freshman and sophomores leave early, you really need them to stick around. Juniors I can understand, but this team needed to have Larkin as jr and O'Connor as a sophomore.

Red was able to keep these guys for the most part in the 90s, one of the reasons the program was dominant then. Now it's possible a new coach could keep them longer, not sure, otherwise the program has to target players who will stick around longer and still target the top players, but not use them as the core of the class.

Reactions: clevelandcane
Haven't hard or read a post of your in a long time. U OK? "74

Yup - everything is fine. Been floating around, but this college hockey season has been so bad locally that it's tough to get excited. Even you guys are struggling. Normally I'd be fired up over a MSU-Michigan series, but yeah..... MSU may match its longest losing streak in 60+ years if Michigan wins Friday (10 straight). Longest in program history is 14 games.

Yup - everything is fine. Been floating around, but this college hockey season has been so bad locally that it's tough to get excited. Even you guys are struggling. Normally I'd be fired up over a MSU-Michigan series, but yeah..... MSU may match its longest losing streak in 60+ years if Michigan wins Friday (10 straight). Longest in program history is 14 games.

Good to know you are well. Can the game go 3 OT periods? Seems that we are a mirror of mediocrity ."74

To me here are some options:
Mel Pearson (Michigan Tech, longtime Michigan Assistant)
Brian Wiseman (Michigan assistant, our top recruiter)
John Worblewski (Head Coach USNTDP, Michigan Ties)
John Madden (AHL Head Coach, NHL ties)

Other names I would consider:
Andy Murray (Western Michigan Head Coach, see what he could do with better facilities and money)
Kieth Allain (Yale Head Coach, see above)
Rick Bennett (Union Head Coach, see above and add that Michigan has Schollys and Union does not)
Mike Hastings (Minnesota State Head Coach)

Long Shots (Potentially)
George Gwozdecky (Former Denver head coach, won 2 nattys)
Guy Gadowski (PSU coach, but won't leave PSU)
Rand Peckenpold (Quinnipiac Coach)
Norm Bazin (U-Mass-Lowell Head Coach)

We need to make a splash, especially with Notre Dame coming to the B1G in hockey, we need to make sure we get someone that has experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT