ADVERTISEMENT

Shane Morris might redshirt

ArrowheadBlue

Heisman
May 29, 2001
Michigan junior quarterback Shane Morris spent all spring and most of fall camp competing to be the starter.

Now, two weeks into the season, it's clear that the competition has concluded. And that has Morris considering his future.

U-M football coach Jim Harbaugh proved as much late in Saturday's 35-7 win over Oregon State, when he sent in third-string quarterback Wilton Speight to take the kneeldowns. After the game, Harbaugh insisted that Morris is still the No. 2 quarterback.

Harbaugh was asked today whether Speight was inserted so that Morris might be able to redshirt this season.

"That's a possibility, that's a consideration," Harbaugh said. "You don't know how it's going to play out; you don't have a crystal ball. We're all seeing this exactly the way it is taking place. We're in control of it. He is the No. 2 quarterback but not the No. 2 guy going in to take two knee-downs at the end of the game. ... Make sense?"

A healthy player has to remain out of game competition for a whole season to gain a redshirt year under NCAA rules. Whether Morris would spend the next two years at Michigan -- where he would be in another competition with transfer John O'Korn, recruit Brandon Peters and others -- or elsewhere is not clear.

As a true freshman in 2013, Morris played against Central Michigan and Michigan State in mop-up duty. (As it turned out, Morris was needed to play in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, too, after Devin Gardner got injured, but that wasn't known when his year of eligibility essentially was wasted during the regular season.)

As a sophomore backup, he relieved Gardner late in games and then started the Minnesota game at the beginning of the Big Ten season, during which he suffered a concussion. Mysteriously, he returned a few weeks later and threw one pass against Michigan State.

Turnovers not a concern: Graduate transfer quarterback Jake Rudock beat out Morris for the job this season, and Harbaugh has shown no indication that anyone is pushing him.

One of the reasons U-M wanted Rudock was because of his lack of turnovers at Iowa, yet Rudock now has committed five in two games with the Wolverines.

Harbaugh dismissed the three interceptions in the opener because of issues with the routes by freshman receiver Grant Perry. And though Rudock's fumble and interception against Oregon State were self-inflicted, Harbaugh is not worried.

"It's a critical part of the game; we're improving on it," Harbaugh said. "I don't think he's lost the tight grip of his mind in any way. He's making good decisions. ... Went thoroughly through what we thought the issue was a week ago, and we're improving on it."

I love the idea. Obviously this goes out the window if Rudock is injured, but if he's healthy, no reason to waste a year of Shane's eligibility for mop-up duty.

I actually think this is pretty great move by JH for 2 reasons:
  1. If Shane proves to show improvement in the coming year, we will have him for 2 years to potentially start (assuming he beats out O'Korn) and that would be fantastic.
  2. If Shane continues to be a backup, he will thank JH because this means Shane can seek a transfer anytime and still have 2 years of eligibility to go some place else. It's rare that you see a kid do well with just 1 year of eligibility as QB some place else and then make it into the Pros. 2 years, whole different story.
I am not convinced he transfers personally - if I am a QB I want to come back to Michigan. Think about our situation next year:
  • RBs - Drake, Green, Ty, Smith
  • WRs - Darboh, Chesson, Harris, Grant, Cole, Ways
  • TEs - Butt, Bunting
  • OL - Kalis, Braden, Magnusson, Cole
That's a lot of returning talent - we will basically lose 2 starters on offense and let's not forget the new recruits coming in (especially at WR). Now you can argue that all these players are terrible but I truly believe if coached especially over the course of a year they will all really improve. Michigan will have the most experienced offense in the BIG next year (which concerns me about 2017 when we lose a lot of these players). If I am Shane, I come back and try to improve even further.

As for our overall team - I still think we will do well this season (maybe not my 10 win prediction :) but I think we get to 8 wins. I actually think we will do very well next year. Other then LBs, we return virtually everyone and experience does count for a lot in CFB. I actually 2017 will be a year where we will be very young across the board since most starters will really be RS Fr or Soph across almost all positions, especially on defense.

O'Korn will be the QB next year

There's a reason they compete and practice - while I trust your opinion, other then how O'Korn did while at Houston (different level of competition) you never know. Morris apparently has shown tremendous improvement and O'Korn will still have 3 years starting next year. I don't personally care who ends up at QB because we have enough competition that I know whomever makes it through will be the best of the bunch.

I said on here previously that Morris' career at this point has been a tough one. He missed his senior year due to illness and then came to UM and was thrown to the wolves his first year with ZERO development within the Hoke regime. Last year was even worse for him with Nussmier as the OC. Too much was expected of this kid way too early and Hoke hung his hat on Gardner. There was a reason that Harbaugh brought in a fifth year QB this year because he did not like Morris' play and knew he had a ton of work to do. I fully expect the REAL QB battle to begin in January IF Brandon Peters enrolls early. O'Korn, Peters, and Gentry will battle it out. Malzone should transfer after this season if he is betting on a football career. If not, then stay on the roster and get a degree from UM. I personally do not think Morris will ever play UNLESS Rudock is injured this season (Then we are in HUGE trouble). Right now, Morris is the true backup because we do not have anyone else unless Speight is the true backup. I thought is was interesting how he was the one to take a knee Saturday. I know Shane is from Michigan, however, he just isn't good enough for what Harbaugh wants and Harbaugh knows something about QB development.

I think they need to get Shane as many snaps as they can, as soon as they can. Ruddock can get injured at any time, and we need Shane ready. Plus, Ruddock has not shown the ability to throw deep well. Shane has a much stronger arm, and we may be in some tight games where we need to go long.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT