ADVERTISEMENT

Seen this show before. Bush to FSU. Walker to Bama...UM never

Both FSU/Bama great consistent football programs year after year. 99% of kids who go there not interested in academics but dream of NFL. Same with OSU. UM has academic goals for players. Tough to convince a boarder line academic kid to focus instead on a medical career. UM and Stanford almost identical in that aspect

Both FSU/Bama great consistent football programs year after year. 99% of kids who go there not interested in academics but dream of NFL. Same with OSU. UM has academic goals for players. Tough to convince a boarder line academic kid to focus instead on a medical career. UM and Stanford almost identical in that aspect
Think you're right. Meyer brought the SEC culture to OSU. I don't have any insight into how Tressel's academic emphasis was. I'm guessing it wasn't very good. Honestly, other than OSU can't think of a B1G school that doesn't. Rutgers is pretty sketchy. Just think how bad they'd be if they did emphasis academics.
Would say UM and NW are the elite education 1st schools in the B1G but the conference is pretty good academically, top to bottom.....with my guess, OSU and Rutgers bringing up the rear.

Will say this. Harbaugh does have a hill to climb with big time recruits who aren't interested in academics. UM once had that reputation for basket weaving for athletes. I'm sure it doesn't now. Recall JH being critical at one time of how UM prepared FB players for post FB life.

There aren't very many 5 stars to begin with. Even fewer who are classroom stars.

Listen, I'm a Rutgers fan. You are sooo far off base with your Rutgers academic criticism that it's not funny! Yes, the BIG has great academics, including Michigan, but Rutgers athletics academics are very competitive. Just this past week academic AA status for fall sports came out & RU was tied for 5th in conference (may have been with Michigan). Last year we were tied for 3rd. Those are facts & there are many more! I forget the statistical rating for academic progress that is used, but RU has been in the Top 10 for at least 5 years & top 5 nationally a couple years, along with a school like Stanford.
RU had some major problems this past year, but academics weren't 1 of them. Even Asch's contract includes incentives for the ## of academic AAs he produces.

Reactions: spartazoo
Listen, I'm a Rutgers fan. You are sooo far off base with your Rutgers academic criticism that it's not funny! Yes, the BIG has great academics, including Michigan, but Rutgers athletics academics are very competitive. Just this past week academic AA status for fall sports came out & RU was tied for 5th in conference (may have been with Michigan). Last year we were tied for 3rd. Those are facts & there are many more! I forget the statistical rating for academic progress that is used, but RU has been in the Top 10 for at least 5 years & top 5 nationally a couple years, along with a school like Stanford.
RU had some major problems this past year, but academics weren't 1 of them. Even Asch's contract includes incentives for the ## of academic AAs he produces.[/
RU had some major problems this past year, but academics weren't 1 of them. Even Asch's contract includes incentives for the ## of academic AAs he produces.
Sorry. I've obviously touched a nerve. I was referring to the FB players and how the coaches regard the education of their players.
Rutgers is a great school. The entire B1G has great schools. This isn't meant as a slam on the university per se, but man, Rutgers has some pretty sketchy characters on the FB team and I think the coaching staff overlooks some things to keep those kids on the field. I think Illinois has some issues with that as well, as they fired their coach over his "approach".
The SEC, sans Vanderbilt, has never been academically oriented in FB. I think Meyer has brought that approach to OSU.

So the first show has fallen off as predicted. Bush to FSU. Walker to Bama on its way although the NJ connection gives us a 10% shot in my book.

So the first show has fallen off as predicted. Bush to FSU. Walker to Bama on its way although the NJ connection gives us a 10% shot in my book.
Bush to FSU?? Really?? Read today's news. Walker to Bama tomorrow? We'll see. Care to give us any more of your Expert Insider predictions?

Go Blue!

Pleasantly shocked. Says a lot about this staffs ability to pull anyone.

I think this get is one of our biggest recruits in ten years, as much for what it says about how our program is so quickly viewed nationally, and by a guy like Devin Bush Sr. as very relevant again, as it is due to his talent.

He is obviously talented but the message this sends to other recruits is huge. I am shocked he stuck to UM.

Not as shocked but very pleased. His Dad said, "It's his time". Mom seams happy too. Glad to hear all the way around.

Go Blue!

Guess times really are a changin'

Pleasantly shocked beyond belief that things are falling our way. Now time to coach them up.

I know OSU hired Sciano to grab up Gary....but it ain't gonna work!
Please tell us you aren't really that stupid....

Schiano was hired because he is a brilliant defensive coach. OSU wont have him on the staff for more than 2 years. Gary knows this as does anyone with half a brain.

Schiano took a program allowing just under 400 points per season and by his 4 year at Rutgers had them down to being one of the better scoring defense in the country.... AT RUTGERS (186) In 2006 they were 8th in the nation in scoring defense. 2007 they were 30th and 2008 they were 19th. 2010 they were 16th.

Schiano being hired has merely opened a dialogue with the family.... unless Gary takes an official visit OSU has the same shot at landing him as they did before the hire, NONE. Should he visit OSU then OSU has a chance. But to date, no visit has been scheduled.

Rashan Gary will commit to Michigan. Michigan will wind up with a top 5 class for 2016 and with the season they should have next year barring any major injuries; Harbaugh will continue pulling talent into Ann Arbor. Michigan will be better in the next four years than they ever were during Carr's entire head coaching career in terms of consistently recruiting top 5 classes and winning on the field.

Agreed. This kid is looking at life beyond football and Michigan is the place for an athlete like that. I have said it before that many athletes at that level are looking for the NFL pipeline. Schools like OSU,Bama, LSU, FSU,Florida, USC period will always get good players because of this. These schools are all about the mighty dollar from their programs and will do what they have to at any cost to get there. Most of your Big Ten schools are not like this and those like Duke, Stanford, Vanderbilt, are also not that way.

I think Gary's mother pretty much put a harpoon into any OSU hope for the DT.
Heard that there was an unfortunate comment exchange between Buck fans that called out Gary's mother. Guess who showed up midway through the thread? Mama was not happy and took some pains to explain some things to our cow-tipping friends from the south. Just say, the interaction did not help OSU with his son's recruitment.

Last edited:
Please tell us you aren't really that stupid....

Schiano was hired because he is a brilliant defensive coach. OSU wont have him on the staff for more than 2 years. Gary knows this as does anyone with half a brain.

Schiano took a program allowing just under 400 points per season and by his 4 year at Rutgers had them down to being one of the better scoring defense in the country.... AT RUTGERS (186) In 2006 they were 8th in the nation in scoring defense. 2007 they were 30th and 2008 they were 19th. 2010 they were 16th.

Schiano being hired has merely opened a dialogue with the family.... unless Gary takes an official visit OSU has the same shot at landing him as they did before the hire, NONE. Should he visit OSU then OSU has a chance. But to date, no visit has been scheduled.

Schiano did recruit Gary back in the 8th grade apparently. So there is a bit of history. Lets not be naïve. It's not like an O$U degree will get you nowhere if you keep academics on your priority list. It's just that many of the star athletes we read about don't care about them, thus they waste their time on the academic side.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT