ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday night fiasco

Capt28

All-League
Jan 23, 2008
Ugh - this is like the 3rd game (at least) this season that we have blown in the last 2 minutes or so of the 3P.

Can't expect much from this team, they probably overachieved this weekend given results were similar to what a much more talented team experienced last year.

Third period play is brutal since the team returned for the GLI. In the past 8 games, M has been outscored 2-12 in the third period.
-Look at a limp MSU team making a 3-goal comeback at the GLI on neutral ice. Thankfully M won in OT.
-Only 2 goals for came in a late comeback effort in a loss at MN.
-Only 4 third period shots in the home fiasco loss vs. MSU. Way to send a message there.
-Blew a third period lead at Munn on a dumb penalty. Could not score on a late PP.
-Survived allowing 3 against OSU on Friday night.
-Got burned tonight allowing 2 and losing.

Has this team only had its best forward lineup for 1 game this year? Marody, Lockwood, Calderone and Kile can't get on the ice a the same time. Inexperienced team getting worn down in games. Bad penalties hurt too.

9-13-2 record now. Team may only win 1-3 more games. Will be a decided underdog in its last 9 games after this MSU series.

This might take a few more years before there is a rebound. The era of early recruiting continues to impact the program.

Actually, the more I think about it...

One part of our game was terrible last night- penalties and the PK. OSU got 4 of their 6 on the power play.

Had they stopped half of those, we probably would have won.

Just one part of the game.

Even strength- they looked much, much better. It would be great if they could get some third period offense, no question. But the part of the game that let them down was the PK, and that we took too many penalties.

You'd rather be blown out by ohio?

Losing sucks, and losing close hurts bad. But it's still better than getting blown off the ice, which happened two weeks ago, by a terrible team. Yea, I'll take this over that.
Uh, no, I would rather beat Ohio. That would be my standard. And all the other mediocre to bad teams we've lost to this season.

Well - I think I have been the main proponent on here of the position that the coaches can't work miracles given all the talent that departed early after last season. However, giving up goals in the first and last minutes of a period, as we have done repeatedly this season, is unacceptable regardless of the talent level.

All I'm trying to do is point out the parts of the game where we have made improvements.

No, they are not good enough, but they are improvements none the less.

If you want to s**t on that, fine.

I'm seeing progress that may lead to some noise in Detroit in March. Better than expecting us to just lay down and do nothing.

Why they went so far backwards is a mystery.

But had we cut the PP goals in half, we would have won. Other than that, we played really well against one of the top teams in the country. (which is really odd to say about ohio)

All I'm trying to do is point out the parts of the game where we have made improvements.

No, they are not good enough, but they are improvements none the less.

If you want to s**t on that, fine.

I'm seeing progress that may lead to some noise in Detroit in March. Better than expecting us to just lay down and do nothing.

Why they went so far backwards is a mystery.

But had we cut the PP goals in half, we would have won. Other than that, we played really well against one of the top teams in the country. (which is really odd to say about ohio)
With winning 3 in Detroit the only chance the team has left for a major accomplishment this year, I'm trying to think of the rest of the season as prep for that. With that in mind, I agree with you - there were some improvements this weekend, mostly on offense. The eye test said we did better at times in the offensive zone and generated more zone time and offensive pressure. If you're into the advanced stats, we did take the Corsi both nights. It also looked like we did better at exiting our own zone, but still got pinned in too often. The power play was hit or miss, but looked really good when it hit (Marody's Friday goal and Slaker's on Saturday). The team effort seemed way better than vs MSU, and for all the 3rd period struggles, I thought we out-competed OSU to hang on at the end on Friday night.

The disappearance of the penalty kill is alarming, since it was one of the few things that went well for much of the year. Losing Lockwood again also really hurts. Hopefully it looked worse than it was.

So at least there were some things to build on. There needs to be more improvement this week and there's really no excuse not to take 6 points.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT