ADVERTISEMENT

Roughing the kicker penalty must be reconsidered this off season..

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
It is one thing for a rugby punter to do his thing and have a righ to get the punt off. On the second penalty yesterday, what are punt rushers supposed to do? At some point the guy is a runner and should be considered a runner. If he doesn't get the punt off, oh well. I'm guessing the language of the rule is that once the punting motion starts you must lay back but stopping that kind of momentum is near impossible. Perry clearly changed his football play motoin from being a punt blocker to a tackler as he determined, in my opinion correctly, that punter was fair game given the steps taken and his body languge.

It is one thing for a rugby punter to do his thing and have a righ to get the punt off. On the second penalty yesterday, what are punt rushers supposed to do? At some point the guy is a runner and should be considered a runner. If he doesn't get the punt off, oh well. I'm guessing the language of the rule is that once the punting motion starts you must lay back but stopping that kind of momentum is near impossible. Perry clearly changed his football play motoin from being a punt blocker to a tackler as he determined, in my opinion correctly, that punter was fair game given the steps taken and his body languge.
Exactly!
At what point is the punter considered a runner? Cause after so many steps he should, or atleast looks like fair game.

Not that I disagree with a few calls going against us but guys that was a pathetic performance. Those plays should not have mattered since we shouldn't have been in that position.

Honestly. Michigan gets more roughing the center calls than any other program.

Got one in the 2006 game, and now this

Honestly. Michigan gets more roughing the center calls than any other program.

Got one in the 2006 game, and now this

That is an alarming trend. Very, very, alarming. Call a press conference, somebody! Or, let's just wait until the next one, due in 2026, lol.

Go BLUE. Always.

Reactions: GoBlue_since1985
I think an equally fair question is why was Harbaugh rushing the punter so early in the game? Of course he knew we were going to try to avoid Peppers, but why wouldn't you give your offense a chance first before getting so aggressive?

I heard you guys had one against WI this year....

You are correct sir. Call it the "Harbaugh" factor! But seriously, yeah that seemed like a shaky call to me......as was the face mask on the game winning drive. I call it a push, each poor call costing each team 3 points. Advantage, no one!

I think it's a legitimate rule - the LS should be protected. Referees are just really lazy about enforcing it.

Agree, should be protected, and I know the "booth official advisor" explained he needs a one second buffer. I can see a flag coming out if the guy gets blasted, can't see a flag coming out if he appears to get head up & just gets pushed to the ground.

Exactly!
At what point is the punter considered a runner? Cause after so many steps he should, or atleast looks like fair game.
This is sort of the Cam Newton argument. Similar to the targeting issue when a player is moving while your are trying to tackle him.

Maybe the answer is outside a 2 yard range he is fair game or at least on rugby style punts it has to be flagrant. By the way...all these side issues have nothing to do with that loss to Iowa. :)

RM

If you watch the punt the series before that call, the snapper gets rocked and there was no call. I am sure a Michigan coach probably got into that refs ear to watch it going forward.

Weird call, but it was the correct call.

I really think that facemask call was to much. I guess ill have to go back and watch it a few times to change my mind but to me it clearly looked like the hand just slid across the helmet. No mask or openings on helmet were grabbed. Just my opinion.
Another thing, im surprised a ref didnt physically get in the way of a play and get ran over.

This is sort of the Cam Newton argument. Similar to the targeting issue when a player is moving while your are trying to tackle him.

Maybe the answer is outside a 2 yard range he is fair game or at least on rugby style punts it has to be flagrant. By the way...all these side issues have nothing to do with that loss to Iowa. :)

RM
I thought the Cam Newton argument was more about refs NOT calling certain calls when clearly they should? lol. Is Cam Newton a vegetable yet? If not he will be soon enough, if the refs continue to decide to call hits on him deferently then other QBs just cause he's the size of a DE.

I think an equally fair question is why was Harbaugh rushing the punter so early in the game? Of course he knew we were going to try to avoid Peppers, but why wouldn't you give your offense a chance first before getting so aggressive?

Or at the very least why are you rushing the punter a 2nd time after you just got a running into the kicker penalty on the previous play?

Michigan had back to back running into kicker, not the 15 yard roughing into kicker as OP wrote.

The roughing the center is a rule, so while not a cheap hit, it was within the 1 second rule.

Fwiw

peace

The kicker takes off running before kicking the ball and he can't be touched? That rule is stupid. He could just keep running for a first down. When can the defense do something about it?

The kicker takes off running before kicking the ball and he can't be touched? That rule is stupid. He could just keep running for a first down. When can the defense do something about it?

100% correct. If the kicker just got the snap, rolled rugby style but punted within the normal amount of steps it would be one thing, but the majority of the time if the punter has no pressure he'll continue towards the line giving his guys more time to get down for coverage. Of course during the course of continuingly moving towards the line he indeed often looks like a runner. Should be fair game.

RM
Except the punter on the targeting call wasn't moving, he was down after that super athletic somersault. Hit was late to boot.

That's my point, regardless of whether it is roughing or running into.

What makes this worse is that some punters have taken the MLS approach and fall screaming like beaten baby seals if anyone comes close.

The PSU punter flew to the ground as if hit by a truck last week at IU. The replay showed nothing but a cushion of air between he and the defender.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT