ADVERTISEMENT

Relationships

capn34

Senior
Jan 19, 2007
That is what recruiting is about. Harbaugh simply has not had time to develop them. Luckily they only had room for 16 so a bad ranked class isn't a disaster. I have a feeling he will have a top 5 class in 2016.

Agreed.
JH is definitely no stranger to forming good relationships with recruits. He also has an awesome staff that is going to be a recruiting nightmare for the rest of college football, lol. At least I hope so lol.

I thought you hired the rockstar of coaches? Relationships? You guys claim that "Michigan recruits itself". And, "we don't rebuild, this is Michigan for God's sakes!". Urban Meyer came in and kicked royal ass in a very short time period. Harbaugh spent two weeks doing victory laps... Most people aren't surprised at Harbaugh not getting recruits for just showing up.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Exactly. Just give it a full year, as opposed to two weeks, and you will see. No point in arguing with spartans…their arrogance is only surpassed by their little brother mentality. You can tell when a fan base is scared

laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by SpartansNation:
I thought you hired the rockstar of coaches? Relationships? You guys claim that "Michigan recruits itself". And, "we don't rebuild, this is Michigan for God's sakes!". Urban Meyer came in and kicked royal ass in a very short time period. Harbaugh spent two weeks doing victory laps... Most people aren't surprised at Harbaugh not getting recruits for just showing up.

Seriously, look up the term straw man.

I thought you hired the rockstar of coaches?
Well, most consider him a tremendous coach who has had success everywhere he has been.

Relationships?
Are you going to claim even the bests coaches don't need to build relationships? Really don't get your point here.

You guys claim that "Michigan recruits itself". And, "we don't rebuild, this is Michigan for God's sakes!".
Of course Michigan rebuilds. That is clearly going on right now. There isn't a UM fan that will claim otherwise.

Urban Meyer came in and kicked royal ass in a very short time period.
He is a very good coach and recruiter and had way more time to recruit than the 3 weeks JH has. Not comparable

Harbaugh spent two weeks doing victory laps...
Harbaugh has been working night and day since he was hired, although there was very little he could do during the dead period. Writing he was 'doing victory laps' is just stupid.

Most people aren't surprised at Harbaugh not getting recruits for just showing up.
Who in the world thought he would?

Listen, I know you like to stir things up and, at the same time, have a major hard on for Harbaugh. But you post very little substance and come of looking like a fool. Stick around if you want but at least bring some intelligence to the conversation.

10 guys committed to OSU between late Nov 2011 (Urban's hire)

& early Feb 2012 (signing day) --- a full 50% of them were either PSU commits or strong leans prior to Sandusky.

I'm not blaming Urban for that, but no doubt it helped him.

Re: 10 guys committed to OSU between late Nov 2011 (Urban's hire)

Originally posted by michnittlion:
10 guys committed to OSU between late Nov 2011 (Urban's hire) & early Feb 2012 (signing day) --- a full 50% of them were either PSU commits or strong leans prior to Sandusky.

Your post got me interested...

Recruits that committed to Urban in 2012:

Se'von Pittman - Nothing to do with PSUTommy Schutt - PSU FlipNoah Spence - Could of been a PSU guyTaylor Decker - Notre Dame FlipJoey O'Conner - nothing to do with PSUDavid Perkins - nothing to do with PSUCamren Williams - PSU FlipArmani Reeves - PSU FlipKyle Dodson - Wisconsin FlipJamal Marcus - nothing to do with PSU
So 3 of the 12 were flips from PSU and 1 more was a possible PSU guy. None of the PSU guys have done much since.

I read that "5 number" in an article just the other day ...

Maybe the article is wrong (possibly a bad idea to be sourcing Bleacher Report, LOL), but that's my source.

I don't even follow recruiting that closely, but even I know that Noah Spence is rather well-known as being a strong PSU lean prior to November 2011. So that's #4. I'm not sure who exactly #5 is on that list, but Schutt, Spence, Williams & Reeves --- who all committed after Urban was hired --- all fall under the classification.
This post was edited on 1/29 1:31 PM by michnittlion

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2344185-late-recruiting-flips-are-the-key-to-urban-meyers-success-at-ohio-state

Re: 10 guys committed to OSU between late Nov 2011 (Urban's hire)

Originally posted by Heisenburg:

10 guys committed to OSU between late Nov 2011 (Urban's hire) & early Feb 2012 (signing day) --- a full 50% of them were either PSU commits or strong leans prior to Sandusky.

Your post got me interested...

Recruits that committed to Urban in 2012:

Adolphus Washington - Committed before Urban was hired, but said he wanted to play for Urban Meyer when he pledged to tOSU - nothing to do with PSU
Ricquan Southward - Nothing to do with PSU
Se'von Pittman - Nothing to do with PSU
Tommy Schutt - PSU Flip
Noah Spence - Could of been a PSU guy
Taylor Decker - Notre Dame Flip
Joey O'Conner - nothing to do with PSU
David Perkins - nothing to do with PSU
Camren Williams - PSU Flip
Armani Reeves - PSU Flip
Kyle Dodson - Wisconsin Flip
Jamal Marcus - nothing to do with PSU
So 3 of the 12 were flips from PSU and 1 more was a possible PSU guy. None of the PSU guys have done much since.
Oconner was a PSU commit. Spence was going to PSU. That makes 5 out of 12.

Originally posted by SpartansNation:
Gee guy, way to go. Being your usual self I see. You just don't know how to make a common decent comment do you?

Yep --- O'Conner is #5

5 out of 10 --- given Washington & Southward committed prior to Urban being hired.

So big picture points:

(1) You and I are correct, and our Buckeye visitor is wrong.

(2) Harbaugh's #s really aren't that bad even if benchmarked against Urban. Urban had a rather unique situation: I'm sure if MSU or OSU got sanctioned later today by the NCAA, Harbaugh could flip a bunch of kids too.

Re: Yep --- O'Conner is #5

In addition to relationships, many prospects are looking for relevant teams that they know contend for championships. When Meyer came to OSU the Buckeyes were coming off of a bad year, but consistent Conference Championships and top 10 finishes were in recent memory.

Outside of Hoke's first year, Michigan hasn't been relevant since 2006. Which means that for current high school seniors,they were in the 5 th grade. For them, a lifetime ago. Harbaugh starts winning, and that'll attract attention again.

Keep in mind too that most prospects don't care about Michigan being the winningest program. They don't remember Harbaugh at Michigan, a vague memory at best of him in the NFL as a QB,

Harbaugh will get attention because of his NFL experience, some due to his time at Stanford, and the rest he'll earn like every other coach. With effort and a good sales pitch.

Re: Yep --- O'Conner is #5

5 out of 10 --- given Washington & Southward committed prior to Urban being hired.
I'm counting 4 of 10, did i miss one. Ether way, not a big deal and your point is taken.

check that...

nevermind.

This post was edited on 1/30 11:32 AM by Heisenburg

This post was edited on 1/30 10:32 AM by Heisenburg

The PSU flips helped fill the class, but none has significantly contributed, except Spence a year ago before he started enhancing himself with ecstasy. So as much as OSU thought that they had 4 star recruits flipped from PSU, none significantly contributed this championship year. Schutt could potentially start his senior year, but the key word is potentially. Those recruits are juniors and there is a significant absence of the junior class on the 2-deep with half being sophomores and freshman that frankly beat the juniors out. The PSU flips did give depth however.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT