ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting?

smartin01

Sophomore
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2013
Just curious on thoughts on why UM seems to have a difficult time landing top OL recruits consistently? As well as top RB's consistently. With a pro-style offense (and former pro coaches), I would think we would recruit better in those positions on a consistent basis.

Just curious on thoughts on why UM seems to have a difficult time landing top OL recruits consistently? As well as top RB's consistently. With a pro-style offense (and former pro coaches), I would think we would recruit better in those positions on a consistent basis.
Recently I read an article where Urban Meyer was talking about how one day he was following an interview with Pete Carroll (then the HC for USC), and Pete said that he never recruits to redshirt, he recruits players to play, no development projects on their board. Urban said this changed his life and he took on this philosophy and it both helps him on the field and in the recruiting process.
We seem to recruit development projects and if/when they don’t work out we struggle and start over looking for a diamond in the rough.
I’m thinking JH needs to read this same article and evaluate his philosophy...great players want to play..now

Starting with Green #1, and several 4* there has not been a lack of top rated RB's. They have not performed up to their ratings. There has been a turnover at the RB coach position and that may have some effect on the performance. Most the OL recruits have been at least a 4* since Brady started. There have been transfers and injuries and several were not ready to play. It may be the evaluation process and not the fault of the players. The OL coach Drevno has put many OL players into the NFL including 4 while at Idaho. I do not see coaching as an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT